BA flight to BKK to move to T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

• Anonymous

LHRtraveller
    Participant

Soon to be announced, starting from W13 season the BA9 to Bangkok will move to Terminal 5. There will be an aircraft type change and a flight retime

sparkyflier
    Participant

Interesting LHR traveller. Thank you for flagging this. Any rumour on what the changes will be? Down to (sizewise) 772 or even 77W, with a tag to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh maybe?

LHRtraveller
    Participant

3 class B777-200 and no tag. Morning departure from Lhr and BKK

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am sure Thai and the Gulf carriers will be happy with this news.

With this timing you arrive pretty tired, therefore the first day of a holiday or business trip is a bit of a right off, and if you have a check in to a hotel, wasting the investment of one night, just for a few hours.

I understand the aircraft size change, but the scheduling is less attractive and I think BA are wasting an opportunity to not use the slot to further their reach into the growing South East Asian economies like Vietnam, Indonesia or even Taiwan.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Perhaps the late evening departure slot is going to be used for a potentially more lucrative frequency / route?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Great new timings, that will be a BA 772 on similar timings in W13 to a TG A380. I understand the second TG service will continue to be served by a 744.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Just back a couple of weeks ago on a particularly smelly 747, badly needed replacing!

Rgds.
    AOTG.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps! 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

AOTG, BA has a about 50 in total and about 10 in dire need or replacement. They will be getting three 747 replaced by the end of the year with A380s

edited

Irons80
    Participant

What concerns me is that with virtually all of the long haul flights leaving T3, does that mean the end for the Elemis travel spa and the first lounge? Meanwhile, the T5 ones will become even busier…

Hippocampus
    Participant

Well fancy that! Another member of the anti-BA agenda flying on BA recently!

Binman62
    Participant

Day time back from BKK…..sounds good to me. Not so keen on the am dep from LHR but to be fair the return jet lag is usually the worst.

777-200 not the best aircraft so perhaps CX via HKG will continue to the best one world offer and certainly the best Business class.

MH a 380 also a strong contender / competition to this significant downgrade of service.

DerekChilvers
    Participant

I have been flying from BOS to BKK via LHR (in First) for many years. BA 238 0815/1935 the perfect way to cross the pond while finishing the prep for the meetings in BKK, connecting to BA 9 2205/1520 on which I can get 8 hours sleep in the dark before arriving in BKK in good shape for business. I certainly won’t be flying BA if this trip now involves a too-short overnight flight followed by an interminable daytime flight followed by arrival in BKK exhausted and jet-lagged … and probably with no work done en route. And I know I’m not alone on this.

TominScotland
    Participant

I sympathise, DerekChilvers, but I suspect your needs are in a minority here. By discontinuing First on this service, BA are recognising that Bangkok is now a primarily leisure destination, unlike SIN and HKG. Indeed, a move to Gatwick rather than T5 would have been conceivable for BA9!!

BA are clearly going with the flow here – AF no longer operate daily to BKK and Lufthansa are seriously reviewing their whole loss-making SE Asia operations with suggestions of introducing a low-cost model, maybe by renewing links to Condor (my speculation!!). Norwegian’s low cost flights to Bangkok start this year from Oslo and Stockholm. With their new Gatwick base, similar services would be logical from the UK as well – with their Thailand crew base, these will be much cheaper to operate than from Europe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls