BA flight delay and compensation

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t think a comparison between air and rail is really like for like. If your train is delayed or cancelled you can take the next one, even if on a non-flexible ticket, as well as being compensated through delay repay.

As far as limiting compensation to the ticket price the issue I have is this.

I buy a ticket well in advance and get a good price. On the day the flight is cancelled. My choice is to sit and wait it out, with loss of income etc, or to buy a ticket on a different carrier at short notice for a premium price. Why should I be out of pocket through the failure of the airline to deliver the contracted service?

MrMichael
    Participant

I see your point SimonS1, but do you accept that it just leads to higher fares and worse service, and possibly even the demise of some airlines. I just don’t think the compensation culture we live in equals better service, it just means we pay more to compensate others when things go wrong. If people are that bothered, as I am sometimes, I insure against the risk.

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed I also have insurance to protect against the risk, however I don’t believe that removes responsibility from the airlines.

I also don’t agree it automatically leads to higher fares and worse service – I believe airline fares these days are lower in real terms than ever before so I’m not sure there is much evidence to support that.

It may lead to the demise of some airlines, however unreliable airlines have always ended up going out of business. Flyglobespan is a good example of that.

In most cases legislation like this only comes about because suppliers cannot be trusted to treat people fairly. Ryanair got away with treating people like crap for years, leaving customers stranded when flights were cancelled. Eventually you need some means of protecting people just like other consumer legislation.

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

in my view, all industries need regulations and need to be regulated, and considering airlines operate a very one sided industry in my view, ie: when they have issues in fulfilling their end of the contract it is all in their favor, (they cancel flights, delay flights and just re book us….if we are lucky……when the pax has an issue, like a slight delay to check in, transfer etc, tickets are cancelled. very one sided.

Of course there are logical reasons for this in many cases as i can not imagine the airline industry working at all if we were all allowed to just check in when ever we wanted, or if flights were held for just anyone because they were only 1 or 2 minutes late to check in or board…..but still. ticketing rules, cancellations, check in, boarding, etc, it is all with a heavy onus on the pax, not the airline, so when there is a fault caused by the airline, too right they should cough up…

I would suspect only 1 to 2% of people ever claim for delays under these rules anyway, so it sure can’t impact prices at this stage…..

what gets me is when there are clear delays, or cancellations and airlines still deny this or come up with lots excuses. I saw a comment once from Ian from Hong Kong saying how BA told him he was denied a claim as it was 171 minutes late not 180 minutes. I have been told this 3 times from BA in the past years too. Now when I check various sites, It says arrival is based on “Doors open”, Not landing time….as often it can take 10 minutes to taxi to a gate at LHR, so landing to doors open, often takes it over the 180 minute mark, but still BA denies this…….

it is just so frustrating

TRAVELLER63
    Participant

Thank you all for the very informative comments.
    I couldn’t post a reply sooner since I was travelling.
    Basically what happened was we all had to disembark, collect the luggages and make our own way by taxi to the hotel.
    BA did offer hotel for the night but since it is my home base, I decided just to go home.

regarding insurance, I do have the annual travel insurance. I ok find out in due time what I can claim.
    The flight took off 24 hours later, and finally managed to get to my destination 24 hours later.

By the way, No amenities were given at this flight. I then asked for a pair of socks and toothbrush, but was told that they didn’t have any on the flight and that I should have kept the ones they gave out the night before. Amazing!

It has been an experience, to say the least.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi All

I had a delayed BA flight with colleagues from a while back and only recently claimed. I went through refund.me and only got €300 (before there bit). If I had gone to BA direct as my colleague did I’d have got €600. Have taken it up with Refund.me but they have said that plane wasn’t delayed enough to warrant the extra amount. A bit odd that saying different things – but not impressed with refund.me in this instance.

MrDarwin
    Participant

I too had a recent delay of 4.5 hours with British Airways. I filled in the form on the BA website, was contacted the following day by email confirming I was eligible for 600EUR compensation, I provided my bank account details and received the funds a couple of days later. In this case it was a straightforward delay where the aircraft went tech and had to be replaced.

Perhaps in more complex scenarios where delays are compounded by various issues it may be more beneficial to go through a third party, but given the sometimes substantial fees deducted I’d go direct to the airline in the first instance and use a third party as a back up if the airline starts to play nasty.

manxman123
    Participant

Last week I put in a claim to BA for a 24 hour delay due to a cancelled flight JNB to LHR. I received a prompt email agreeing I was due €600 compensation and asking if I had any telephone calls I would like to charge. I said no, but pointed out that I’d had to abandon an onward flight to Amsterdam and it would be a nice touch if they could honour the Avios points. By return they said they’d credit my account with 10,000.
    After the pretty appalling treatment I’ve received from BA in the past few years this was a welcome change! I wonder if it is because I’m now a gold card holder . . . .
    (standard letters are available on the Which? website http://search.which.co.uk/search?w=airline+compensation&asug=&mainresult=mainresult%3Ayes&intcmp=GNH-Search )

FAbraham603
    Participant

I had a delayed flight because of the engine failure last week and the problem is, I need to attend my urgent meeting on that day and it made a big impact on my business and the deal that we will about in that meeting has been cancelled. So it’s a must that the airlines compensate with what happened. Luckily my friend recommended me a firm called Flight Claim UK that helped me claim my compensation. If some of you are interested about them you can visit them at : http://www.flightclaimuk.com/flight-compensation.html

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Came across this in the Daily Mail website http://www.donotpay.co.uk Unlike the previous poster I have do connetion with either the Daily Mail or the website!!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Well, Darwin and Manxman, you are doing better than I did a few years ago. BA took a year to refund a cancelled flight….

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls