BA flight delay and compensation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

TRAVELLER63
    Participant

I was supposed to travel from Hong Kong to London and connect to Geneva last night on BA26 on J class. the flight was cancelled due to leak in oxygen tank. the new flight is supposedly scheduled 24 hours later. Can anyone please advise me on whether I can get compensation for this delay. This delay has completely messed up my travel plans, including lost of hotel nights as well as car hire charges.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Travel insurance??

StephenLondon
    Participant

What travel insurance do you have? Apart from EU261 compensation, subsequent loss is tough to get compensation for.

Why can’t BA get you on an alt flt that departs earlier, such as Cathay’s daytime flights, or a connection over PEK or PVG where you have daytime westbound flights?

SimonS1
    Participant

Yep that would be my understanding.

EU261 compo for the delayed flight. Duty of care, accommodation/food, telephone call whilst you are delayed.

For any subsequent/consequential loss then turn to your insurance as BA will fob you off and deny responsibility etc.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

On the subject of compensation/redress ….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31998530

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

having a serious issue with BA on recent flight delays. Of 8 flights 6 were delayed in past 4 months. 4 of significance and BA is coming up with all sorts of replies to get out of paying compensation.

I understand the meaning of arrivals to mean “Doors Open for Pax to be allowed to leave”.

I am also just so tired of the Indian support center replies.

Does any one know of a way for BA London to reply, or is there someone who knows a good person to escalate issues to.

Most grateful

SimonS1
    Participant

I wouldn’t waste time with BA. They will do or say anything to try and cheat you out of what you are owed. Two options:

http://www.refund.me

http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Good luck

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Am I correct to assume that EU compensation regulations for delay only apply to EU carriers? If so, are carriers based (for EG) in Asia or the US free to be as late as they like on their flights to and from Europe without having any obligations for compensation?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My understanding Peter is non EU airlines can be late incoming but not outgoing, ie. from the EU back.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just thinking about whyI hate this compensation business and to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

You’re ready to go with 4 mates on a golfing weekend and who’ve agreed to pay the petrol in return for taking your car. Car checked, filled with fuel and as you back out the driveway there a strange sound from one of the wheels. Everyone has a look, all seems ok and the dominant male announces, probably nothing, i think it’s safe and everyone wanting to get off agrees.

Halfway there the wheel collapses, car towed to garage, you find a grotty hotel, the only one avaliable. Car won’t be ready till Tuesday so non refundable weekend ruined as you hire the last Fiat Uno available to get you home, in which the club’s won’t fit. To top it all, when you get the car back, a set of golf clubs is missing!

Wednesday morning your mates come round demanding compensation and the arguments start. After all big male said it’s nothing and you all agreed. Had we called the AA what was a minor problem, and before it led to a major problem, would have been fixed in two hours.

I guess you can see where I’m going. And this is my worry. I don’t believe the major airlines deliberately delay aircraft without a very good reason. Look at Asia and the US where there is no compensation and they manage to get the majority of their birds in the air more or less on time. If there is a reason in the EU they may be more inclined to rush the job to avoid going beyond the time limits for compensation. Can we be sure the job has been finished properly?

All in all I’m against this culture of there always being someone to blame and where compensation is paid for the smallest slight or fault! I think it’s time to rein this in and if the contract is so important and so big, €700 won’t make much difference and perhaps leaving a day earlier would be more responsible.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have to admit to having an interest in a claims company, but not travel related..

My view on compensation is where someone has incurred a cost/fee for a service being provided and that service has either not been provided, or been provided in a format not agreed from outset, then compensation (or refund) should be claimed.

However, 4 mates cost sharing is IMHO, not the same..

Buying an airline ticket is one of a few products that someone is buying “blind” – i.e. in some cases passengers don’t even know the product they are buying…. this is wrong!

MrMichael
    Participant

I see your point LuganoPirate and tend to be with you. I have no issue airlines having to pay reasonable compensation when things go wrong, but tend to agree with The chappie at Ryanair, unless exceptional circumstances it should be limited to what you paid for the ticket. Ultimately it is not the airline shareholders that pays the compensation but the traveller in increased fares and or reduction in service.

Many people bemoan the reduction in service on EU carriers such as AF/BA/LH and in my case IB, maybe part of the problem is the massive amounts they have to pay out every time things go even slightly wrong. The Railway industry has to pay out when trains are delayed, but to my knowledge never more than the ticket cost in the first place.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In answer to Peter’s question above …

In brief, all airlines departing the EU must adhere to EU261. But when flying to the EU, only EU-based airlines need adhere to EU261.

But note that when an EU airline has a fifth-freedom sector then EU261 will not apply if the final destination is not inside the EU.

There was an Ask Alex query a couple of years ago. A BT reader had booked a Singapore stopover when flying BA from Sydney to London.

BA’s Sydney-Singapore flight was badly delayed when departing Sydney because of a technical issue with the B777-300ER.

Had the reader simply changed planes in Singapore to another EU carrier and continued his or her journey to the EU, then he/she would have been covered by EU261.

But because the reader was breaking his/her journey in Singapore, albeit for a couple of days, EU261 did not apply.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls