BA flight cancellations and compensation

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Slightly confused by BA’s refusal to compensate my son for a flight cancellation in July (LHR-DUB), giving less than 14 days notice, on the basis that it was part of HAL required flight reductions. Does this stand up or should we pursue it further?

Advice?

BPP
    Participant

Hi TominScotland
    Just to say that (as reported in the Forum) my flight LHR-BCN due to depart on Friday was cancelled 3 weeks ago and funds returned within 72hrs.
    BPP

TominScotland
    Participant

BPP, the refund was not a problem, returned very rapidly. However, this cancellation was within the EC261 window of less than 14 days so the claim was in relation to that.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

DerekVH
    Participant

My understanding of the situation is this falls outside EU261 rules because the HAL direction was outside BA’s control, if you head to flyertalk you will get a lot more information on this topic as I understand some people are fighting BA’s refusal for compensation.

Nick Pike
    Participant

I’m normally the first to suggest people claim EU261 compensation but I struggle to see how the HAL requirement to cut flights gives rise to a valid claim against BA. I think it’s accepted that air traffic control limitations don’t so I can’t see why a rule imposed by an airport does.

DerekVH
    Participant

I think the suggestion is that the HAL restrictions are proving a very convenient excuse for BA cancelling flights for reasons other than the HAL requirement. How you could prove that is another question but flyertalk seems to suggest some people are taking legal action to get BA to provide the proof.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1231935]

This would count as an extraordinary event outside the airline’s control so no cash compensation is payable.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

No compensation is due. Cancellation outside the airline control.

Believe me – if they could operate more flights right now they would given demand, loads and prices they could command!

theworldtraveller
    Participant

BA don’t have the crew to fly the aircraft. Ask yourself why they didn’t object like Emirates did.

onajetplane
    Participant

I had a LHR – BHD cancellation the day before the flight. I applied for compensation and it was rejected. I replied and asked for evidence of how the cancellation constituted an “exceptional circumstance”. They replied and said they had reconsidered my case and paid the compensation. Maybe I just got lucky.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1232732]

Of course its a win/win for BA.

No compensation pay out.

Cancel any flights with poor loadings and consolidate.

Offer travellers the “peace of mind” to cancel for free and then re-sell the seat for a much higher fare.

Where duty of care is needed, just leave travellers to it, hope they don’t claim and where they do then mess them around waiting ages for their money.

And golden rule – under no circumstances advise people of their rights.

Of course the CAA is so pathetic they get away with it. A serious government would make the airline responsible in all circumstances and force the airport to pick up the airline’s tab where slots are cancelled.

DBC
    Participant

During the Covid period my wife and I have accumulated five vouchers for use on BA flights. We live in Canada so so not travel BA all that often. We tried to use them this year, twice, but they were rejected. Dealing with BA customer relations was hopeless so I sent a recorded delivery letter to BA’s CEO. That got sent back to customer relations who declined to offer any solution at all, either by consolidating our vouchers into one useable one or to even offer a cash refund. He gave us another number to call. This is close to theft in my book. Does BA not longer care at all about it’s customers? Is it because it no longer has a reputation worth anything? Pretty disgusted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls