BA flight bound to HKG comes back home to LHRCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways BA flight bound to HKG comes back home to LHR

This topic contains 48 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  esselle 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

G-CIVX, had just returned from maintenance and went tech on first flight with an under-carriage problem.

Only two days ago B777 G-VIIX returned from maintenance and went tech on first flight with a hydraulic problem.

27th July A321 G-EUXG didn’t even make a first flight, damaged in maintenance by something falling from the roof on the hangar.

Not exactly reassuring really.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Worrying……especially in light of the other recent engineering issues with latches etc……..hmmmm what is going on?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Reducing losses, that is what is happening, by saving on maintainance.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SimonS1 – 05/08/2013 21:58 GMT

I was wondering whether you had been keeping an eye on the frequency of Titan stand-ins for EZY of late as this is something you have highlighted w.r.t. BA LGW operations. There have been quite a few of these with EZY over the past few weeks; not exactly delivering consistency…? And dare I ask what this might suggest about EZY maintenance standards and economising on said? Or is it that EZY has put together a schedule that is simply greater than the capacity of its fleet?

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Have you looked on

http://www.thebasource.com

It is very interesting to see the ammount of technical issues, but is this in proportion to the size of the feet?. It is also interesting to see how much a Titan 767 is subchartered by BA

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 06/08/2013 00:08 GMT

I looked at easyJet source and as you say there have been a number of technical diversions in line with a very busy airline (which carries a lot more passengers than BA) at the height of the summer season.

However, what I didn’t see was

– an aircraft on first flight after mx losing it’s engine cowl, causing an engine fire
    – an aircraft with an engine written off by a cargo scanner left in the intake
    – an aircraft on first flight after mx with gear retraction problems

I agree with other posters that it is concerning.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It is disconcerting, but not that unusual, especially with older aircraft. Mind you newer ones as well which seem to have “teething” troubles as well! Have a look at AVHerald.com and you’ll see what I mean, and Simon Hradecky does not even report all the incidences so there are many more.

I think our perception is that big airlines, eg. BA , should suffer no tech issues, and they shouldn’t, but they do!

azidane
    Participant

Looking at http://www.thebasource.com im wondering why so many flights to Cairo are being cancelled and then flown by a 767, anyone know the reason?

BA744fan
    Participant

It must have been a quiet day at the BBC because flights having to return base mid flight for technical or medical issues is a regular occurance and barely newsworthy.

Looking at the bigger picture, as already stated, BA has a large and ageing fleet and the frequency of maintenance issues is possibly higher than some airlines with younger fleets.

It is important to remember that BA’s safety record is the envy of many airlines and I’m sure that most flights that experience technical issues are cancelled purely as a precaution. As a passenger I would much rather be delayed than fly and there be a serious risk of not making it to my destination at all.

JordanD
    Participant

I can only assume SimonS1, pdtraveller, FormerlyDoS all work in BA Maintenance or have access to the logs and know what was done on G-CIVX and that it was to do with the undercarriage? There are any number of reasons why a plane could have been in the hanger, and equally any number of reasons a part could fail at any time. Who’s to say that the undercarriage was even a focus on the maintenance?

I’m no BA apologist – I’ve given Frank van der Post a piece of my thoughts on more than one occasion – but this seems like a story straight out of a quiet news day on the BBC in the middle of Summer’s ‘silly season’.

“Plane returns to base after minor tech issue” or “Plane returns to base as precaution” don’t quite have the same ring to it.

And to those comparing this ‘incident’ (if one can call it that) with the engine cowls – are you genuinely trying to suggest the two are the same?

HongKongLady
    Participant

Flew a few days ago on a 747 with a very tired old First. Problems with lighting, entertainment ( not unusual ) cabin was very jaded with damaged interior. Not a technical issue although the poor old bird was groaning a little. Interestingly the captain was the oddest I have ever encountered and almost lectured passengers, at one point I expected him to ask us not to ring the bell but to sit on our seats and shut up ! Oh and the ‘this is the Captain, crew doors to manual’ was rather rudely said and no he didn’t say and cross check.

Capetown2k
    Participant

last summer i spent the day at crane bank on the 747 400 simulator with a retired pilot (40 years flyin )who does training with other pilots from ba and other airlines

as i have a fear of flying safety was one of the main areas we covered

i was told different airlines have different margins regarding aircraft going tech, and while all within the regulated safety margins BA may not let a aircraft fly due to tech reasons while another airline will let it

Bucksnet
    Participant

I agree with JordanD, who always seems to make good posts, that the undercarriage may not have been checked during maintenance because the plane might have gone in for something totally different.

It is very unlikely that the entire plane would be checked just because there is a fault in a certain area. The entire plane would be checked if it went in for a ‘C’ check for example.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.