BA First vs BA Club world

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

I have been thinking about trying the First Experience on BA this year using points, but from my looks into the First cabin when I have travelled to the US, I have to say it hasn’t looked like a big deal.

Are perhaps certain destinations better “value” than others? (Australia is not an option, not yet anyway)

Anyone have comments on this? Is First really that much better than Club World?

Yes I know I should have seized the opportunity when BA had this campaign before Christmas, but then… 🙂

I am a gold level member with the executive club so the lounge is probably not that much of an issue either, or is the concorde room beyond my comprehension?

Thx.

Henryp1
    Participant

Its really a matter of preferences, we like the 1st class cabin and its rumoured for a revamp this year. Service is more personal and less rushed than Club. Space is greater and the seat topper and duvet does make a big difference on long haul flights. (We travel to SYD and SIN most months). To be honest taking this into account its preferable to go 1st as often as possible.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Have you considered CX and go East. CX has a very good first service.

notlongnow
    Participant

Having done LHR-CPT in both club and first, yes, obviously first is nicer, but unless it’s free, there’s no way I’d go first instead of club. Just not worth the difference, even doing it on miles that’d cost you another 50,000

acullimore
    Participant

Both First and Club World are good products. What you pay the extra for in First is really the extra privacy, whether it be in the lounge on in the sky. Staff to passenger passenger ratio is a lot higher in First with 3 attendants serving 14 seats on most of BA’s flights. You get extra space and a more comfortable sleeping experience. Food wise, it can actually take longer to get served in First than in Club World (depending on where you are sitting) however you do have the luxury to choose when you want to eat. Wine selection is a little better with some better vintage Champagne and Bordeaux wines, but you might not find that important. There is a big difference between First and Club in terms of privacy, but the difference in actual product is not nearly so big.
    Regards the concorde room, its very nice, smaller than the other Club World lounge but still can get busy, though it is nice to have a sit down meal before boarding the plane…..but really nothing to get excited about.
    Best value destinations would be the UAE and middle east (Only 120000 miles)

BAGoldcard
    Participant

I prefer to travel in First, whether using cash, BA Miles or a combination as I have recently purchased for a trip later in the year.

It is quite a bit more expensive, and the Club World cabin is getting better but the peace and extra space, (usually…) better champagne, and more relaxed crew and service make it a very pleasant treat. Worth trying.

CMoir12
    Participant

I have travelled in both and, if you are able to travel in the upper deck of the 747 (seats 62A and C) then, in my opinion you very nearly have the same service. There are only 20 seats on the upper deck with two crew compared with 14 seats in First. It is also very quiet.
    I haven’t been in the new Concorde room at T5, but at T4 didn’t like it and preferred the First/Terraces Lounges. I do rate the First lounge at T5 – it does have everything you need.

Also, on our flight from Melbourne to Singapore in First we were asked to move from our seats in 1A and 1K so that a passenger could use the baby bassinet – so you are not guaranteed a quiet journey!

In true BA style, as we had a two day stopover (the same as the cabin crew) the purser arranged for us (without asking) to have 1A and 1K on our flight from SIN-LHR.

antipodes
    Participant

With the rapid introduction of lie flat bed/seats the incentive to travel first is diminishing however it pays to be selective as airlines other than BA provide a different seat configuration and fit out depending on the time of day the flight is scheduled. With BA/Qantas seat configurations if I could not get a window seat in First I would travel in Club.

RoadKing
    Participant

Thank you all for extensive feedback.

I will see what I end up with 🙂

Regards

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious difference that in First the seats do all face the right way. First seats are also a bit wider than Club seats (especially when flat) – but BA First seats are now second-best to most other airlines’ long-haul business class seats. As to the the Club World seats; I hate them with a passion.

Waddsey1
    Participant

If you have the choice I would recommend trying First. It is a great experience and you have greater privacy yet attentive crew who are always happy to assist with requests.
    Club World is great but First is a better product.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls