BA First lounge, T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1234132]

Spot on analysis.

The best lounge I’ve been into this year was AA’s Flagship at ORD. Absolutely excellent.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

After a 5-year hiatus, I think I’ll be returning to BA Gold next month, so the First Lounge will be an option again. However, unless it has changed for the better, I anticipate I will still head directly to B gate and use the BA Galleries lounge there. No complaints about the 1st lounge itself, but the B gates lounge is quite ok and obviously much better for accessing B & C. It is also usually less busy and easier to find a quite seat. More than happy to listen to other views though. Next trip should be in December.

FDOS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1234140]

The B lounge is tranquil.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1234140]

If LHR is your airport of departure, the First wing is really a treat. In the lounge itself, apart from may-be a slightly better bar, the difference is not massive. That said, if your gate is finally a A, then coming back from B is a hassle.

openfly
    Participant

Went through the First Lounge yesterday. The buffet has reopened in its original area. It isn’t often that I put BA and excellent into the same sentence but the breakfast, and the lunch offerings were very good, and a great selection. But, they go and spoil the premium experience by dumping priority boarding!! I was Group 1, but they are just boarding Grouos 1-3 at the same time…so back to “Bunfight Biarding”…..pushing and shoving! Oh BA when will you ever realise that premium passengers pay a lot for their tickets.

5 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

I was Group 1, but they are just boarding Grouos 1-3 at the same time

Same for me, last week. Even worse on 1 flight, as they let about 30 people check in hand luggage and then boarded them in front of group 1. So I was about #35 to board.

So, I’m voting with my feet and instructing my client’s travel agent I do not wish to fly with BA. It’s all I can do.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good news

Bringing back buffet breakfast
    Getting rid of plastic bottles and providing a water filter to top up the plastic bottles we already have in in our hand baggage.

Bad

Stupid and unnecessary sachets for ketchup etc – total waste of plastic/foil when a dispenser can do the job perfectly.
    QR codes not an actual menu
    Is this for real – boarding in groups 1-3? I am hoping these are one offs. Surely BA cannot be that stupid to cheese loyal customers off – especially when VS is going to join Skyteam with potentially a VS code on a very comprehensive global network and being a far more competitive offering.

I seriously hope that they do not change the policy of boarding by group with Group 1 being its own priority.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

My last three short haul flights with BA have been groups 1 to 3 called all together. It’s fixed on the sign post at the entry to the queuing lines for at least all the Terminal 5 A gates I have seen.

openfly
    Participant

They are serious about dumping priority boarding…into two groups. 1 to3 and the rest! And the gate signs are now in place for this. But these two groups are only boarded after the “hand baggage in the hold” gang. But these take off the baggage tags on the way to the a/c and put their bags in the lockers…..so group 1 now boards last. The job-experience kid who thought of this is def up for promotion.
    Yup, it’s “Piss off the priority pax” time….and BA does that well! No point in writing in to complain, because you don’t get a reply these days….passengers are such a nuisance to BA!

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Passed through T5 First Wing/lounge around 08:30 this morning.

Check in was very quiet and both sides of the First Wing security check were open so that was very swift. Security queues in the main T5 departures looked a bit grim as only South departures were open, North was closed. First Wing staff all very polite and smiley.

The lounge was quite busy although I found a seat in one of the out of the way nooks. I had little time to spare in the lounge so quickly ordered scrambled eggs and kippers as well as an espresso. I envied another guests eggs and kippers noticing he had TWO large kippers and was curious to how he made the special request as mine only ever comes with one. My hot drink arrived very quickly and my kippers within ten minutes – was delighted to also receive two! Small pleasures lol.

The Brita water dispenser is a bit of a PITA. It literally dribbles out water and I was stood there for a good couple of minutes refilling my water carrier. If this is the way of the future, they need to install several more.

All in all, a short but sweet visit. Definitely no ‘First Class’ lounge but more than adequate for a top tier frequent flyer lounge and the First Wing security remains the biggest benefit for me.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1235483]They are serious about dumping priority boarding…into two groups. 1 to3 and the rest! And the gate signs are now in place for this. But these two groups are only boarded after the “hand baggage in the hold” gang. But these take off the baggage tags on the way to the a/c and put their bags in the lockers…..so group 1 now boards last. The job-experience kid who thought of this is def up for promotion.
    Yup, it’s “Piss off the priority pax” time….and BA does that well! No point in writing in to complain, because you don’t get a reply these days….passengers are such a nuisance to BA![/quote]

The ONLY benefit priority boarding provides is to ensure bin space over the club seats is available for club passengers and not used by economy passengers who then walk to the other end of the aircraft.

If cabin crew ensured club passengers could use the space above their seats, I would happily board in Group 22.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls