BA first lounge guest access

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Rhys
    Participant

Hi there, looking for some advice (and a small rant).
    Off on holiday soon with partner and her teenage daughter. According to BA lounge policy i can take one guest into the first class or business lounge with me. I asked BA if on this rare occasion they would be able to provide one extra lounge pass so that we wouldn’t have to split up the group.

BA’s response was that policy is policy and only one guest per exec club member with lounge privileges. Then some condescending rubbish about how disappointing that must be at the start of our holiday.

I did ask if that applies to members taking a partner plus baby or toddler into the lounge (is it just me that thinks there’s a lot more of them in the lounges recently?) but BA chose to ignore that question.

Anybody have experience of securing an extra lounge pass at bag drop or escalation ideas?

We’re flying WTP on this occasion and my partner only has Bronze status so that isn’t an option. The alternative is partner/daughter are going shopping before we fly (sob).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Rhys

Welcome to the forum.

IIRC, the policy is infants under two will be admitted, but no older.

BA will stand firm on this policy, unfortunately and I wouldn’t waste your time (and frustration) trying to change their minds. The only time they have shown some flexibility is during major school hols, such as Easter or Xmas.

Practically, there are some alternatives to consider, via pay per access lounges in T3 and T5 (and at Gatwick) or use one of the restaurants for a relaxed meal, before boarding.

If you are GCH, as you probably know, then you should be able to use group 1 boarding for all of you.

The other option, is to try to get someone to guest one of your party in.

Good luck.

PS: The shopping option might be cheaper than 3x pay per access lounge 🙂

PPS: The condescending rubbish is standard!

openfly
    Participant

Slight correction….at LGW they permit a Silver plus wife with three kids 12,14,16, travelling in Y on handbag fare into the BA lounge. My neighbours do it frequently, and boast about it! Three hours before the flight and drink copious quantities of champagne. It seems that any “child” under 20 can accompany their parents.
    So annoying when I seldom take a guest and asked for a third once…refused. Golds should be given three vouchers annually for an extra guest.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I know you’re flying with BA, but Swiss/Lufthansa allow a guest plus children under 18. When Mrs. LP and I used to fly with the boys and their nanny (the three of them in Y), Swiss would allow her into the Senator lounge with us, but Lufthansa would not, however they would allow her into the Business lounge with the boys who both had silver status at the time.

Eldest lad is now 18 so I’m curious if they’ll let him in with us now?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A couple of years back and about 6 weeks before a flight with 3 guests, I asked a duty manager whether any exceptions could be made as a one off into the F lounge for me and 3 guests. The manager checked his diary, realised it was a duty day and suggested I came up to the lounge on the day, by myself and ask. Depending how busy it was would determine entry.

I went on the day, asked, the manager checked and in the 6 years or so I have been gold it was the first time I was allowed in with 3 guests – I would add that it was also the first time I had ever asked..

I also remember at Gatwick, in the VS lounge, travelling with my son, aged 3 or 4 at the time. They would only allow me entrance not my son (presume I was not travelling in Upper) – but did have a Gold card. I have to admit my toys did come out of the pram and I asked the staff to find a chair and a table for my son to sit outside the door of the lounge…

Linda Short (long retired) the lounge manager took pity on me, she allowed us both in and since that date, we did become firm friends with all the staff in the old VS Gatwick lounge…

GivingupBA
    Participant

Hi Rhys, I understand you, I really do, and am sorry to hear your journey was affected.

But there are two sides to this story/ situation. I only use lounges when I fly first or business class and I wish there were lounges exclusively for passengers with first or business class tickets – because in the last 5 years or so I have quite a few times found lounges in various airports around the world very crowded, even to the extent that I could barely get a seat. It was certain that not all those people had first or business tickets. Sometimes nowadays I’d rather just go the gate and sit there or in a cafe.

I do not at all begrudge Gold Card holders and others their lounge access – I just wish there was ample space for passengers flying first or business class.

Happy travels and I wish you well, Rhys.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Agamemnon
    Participant

I’ve both been allowed in and not – all at LGW. In the past, I’ve asked at LGW where the lounge was (when it was being switched around) and was told at check-in that I couldn’t take my wife and son in (I was GC, but we were flying economy), I still asked at the lounge desk (alone) and got refused, so I got my wife in and my son and I went to the soft play area.

Last year, I went up to the desk with all of us, handed over all the boarding cards and told the person on the desk, that I knew I was only allowed one guest, but could I get my wife and son in and then I’d head off for a coffee. She scanned my boarding card and my son’s said ‘that’s fine sir’ and waved us all in. I returned five minutes later and gave her one of my golden tickets.

I realise that busy lounges are a bugbear for many, but like many others on here I travel throughout the year to reach a reasonably high status without my family, so getting my wife and 5yr old son into the lounge twice a year when I am with them, I don’t think is too much to ask if the lounge isn’t that busy. I would personally like a system whereby GC holders could have two extra lounge passes each year (like the golden ticket scheme) to allow extra family members or work colleagues to come into the lounge on those rare occasions that this situation arises. When GC status has been so eroded, it would be a nice gesture to give back by BA, which means of course that it’ll never happen…

nevereconomy
    Participant

The whole issue is so much more complicated now with access for all other OW carriers elite members. I fly frequently in/out of PHL and the BA staff have to put together a manual sheet before the lounge opens with all the Club/First/Gold/Silver passengers and match it with the permitted occupancy (fire rules) to see who else they can allow in. For full flights with lots of Golds/Silvers this means no extra guests, or conceivably, no guests at all. I imagine that this can well happen in other busy airports so may be a reason for the frustrations being aired here.

Rhys
    Participant

Thanks everybody for your replies. Apologies for the delay I have in fact been travelling.

The problem has been solved by my boss who has donated one of his silver partner cards to my other half. She’ll use that and I’ll take daughter in with me.

I like the idea of the guest vouchers.

Thanks again everybody.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=869820]Thanks everybody for your replies. Apologies for the delay I have in fact been travelling.

The problem has been solved by my boss who has donated one of his silver partner cards to my other half. She’ll use that and I’ll take daughter in with me.

I like the idea of the guest vouchers.

Thanks again everybody.[/quote]

Good result – enjoy the lounge.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Also remember if you fly a lot with BA and become GGL (Gold Guest List) you can take 5 guests with you as I recall.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good to see a solution has been found.

I must admit I see both sides to this one. On the one hand a small exception seems a small thing. On the other hand the number of “exceptions” at BA side is probably substantial. Which is why rules are put in place.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Something that also plays in now increasingly is the number of alliance passengers who use the nicest lounge, not the one of the airline they are flying. BA lounge in PHL is barely big enough for the BA passengers so they do a calculation every day before the flights – how many Gold And Silver etc. and very often bar AA passengers completely as they have their own lounge – BA is nicer though – not so very often you can say that………

cwoodward
    Participant

This topic from 2022 seems to have reappeared and it seems I believe interesting and informative to compare airline lounge polices

With Cathay as an Invitation Diamond (Cathays top tier) I am allowed 2 guests into any Cathay lounge including First (Diamond member benefits are much the same). However only one guest for any other OW members lounges including first class where available. There is a little flexibility re guests for me in Cathay lounges particularly Hong Kong but I don’t abuse it.
    Other club levels Gold level allows members access to Business class lounges with one guest. Silver members have lounge ac cess but no guests.
    All levels earn tier points that con be used for guest lounge access -shopping and upgrades the higher the member level the higher the perks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls