BA First Class not worth the money

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Colsoul
    Participant

I flew BA LHR to ORD on 8th of July, First Class.

I would not consider this First Class.

The Boarding was chaotic, delay by over 30 minutes standing in overcrowded area.

What BA qualifies as comfy cushion looked more like (and felt as comfortable as) a mop.

Food was far from being First Class standard (claimed there would be caviar on one of the canape, there was none, starter was bland, beef was overcooked).

Only positive point was Imogen, the flight attendant trying her best to make this experience a little better.

Arrived two hours late, missed AA connection.

Although CSD had tried to get me re-booked on a later flight on UA, nobody thought it was necessary to issue ticket after booking a seat for me.

Had to spend the night in Chicago, insulting compensation (5,000 Avios).

Flying BA in First Class is a total waste of money.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Colsoul

I am sure you have the sympathy of the whole Forum as a result of your terrible experience. I trust that you have now recovered from the ordeal. I think this Forum has been consistent in downplaying the BA First experience. The comfy cushion experience sounds terrible – as I do not normally sit on mops, I cannot imagine what it was like.

I am intrigued that a flight which was delayed 30 minutes managed to arrive 2 hours late – the headwinds must have been horrific. Do you know the reason for the delay? If the delay and the knock-on effect of your missed connection was within BA’s control, have you explored your rights under EC261 which could, at least, increase compensation to which you may be entitled?

5 users thanked author for this post.

MS
    Participant

BA First Class isn’t even worth the points either! As they say, BA First Class is the best business class in he sky!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Many Airlines Business Class seats, cabins, service, are far superior to BA’s First.
    Etihad, Emirates, Air France, Garuda, Cathay, Malaysia, Singapore, Thai, Qantas…etc
    Certainly what to expect on other Legacy Airlines in First is far more private, exclusive service, premium feel to it than BA.
    Simply does not compare in any way to major Airlines, and way behind the expectations of “First Class” at todays standards..

esselle
    Participant

Marcus I have to take issue with you on this.

I am no apologist for BA (although I did write on a separate post recently that the CCR in JFK was, in my view, the best lounge in the world).

However, to suggest that BA F is bettered by EY, AF, MH, TG etc etc cannot be taken seriously.

How many seats in an AF J cabin on a 380 vs BA F? How many crew to pax on an EY 777 VS BA F? Seat pitch in QF J vs BA F? LPGS vs Canard Duchene?

Nobody ever claimed that BA F was up there with the big guys, but to suggest it is trumped by other carrier’s J is a bit of an over simplification in my (honest) opinion.

7 users thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Sorry Marcus, I think you’re trying to pull an April fool here. To suggest AF’s angled flat J seat is better than BA F is frankly absurd.

Agree with Eselle’s post above. It is no world beater, though I suspect most would take it over being offered a J seat, purely for the larger space, smaller cabin etc.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, AF has new business class seats. Fully flat and much better. That said I agree with Esselle and Alan. Some business class services do beat BA First. But only some! And none of them are European.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Haggis68
    Participant

I have been a flyer on BA in many of its forms (BOAC, British, BEA, etc.) for 40+years. They were one of the leaders but have declined at a steady rate over the years. I now only use BA for Internal UK flights and some European flights, the rest especially medium and long haul I’ll use others. My last flight KUL to LHR on 787, I was persuaded by a colleague that they had improved significantly (he only flew BA), well I was severely disappointed, First class was no where near EK, QR, SQ business class. The seats were comfortable, but the service was not great, food was mediocre, crew were more interested in having a party for a colleague on their last flight so sleep was interrupted, AV was limited. Took a walk through business class and passengers were being served food on trays, no silver service like other airlines, also tried an empty business class seat and found it narrow and hard, asked the CSD if they offered Business class pax a mattress, response why would we do that. To top it off my luggage was left in KUL.

I appreciate that you get not so great crews and luggage can get delayed, maybe I’m just unfortunate to consistently get both whenever i fly BA and I was shocked a few months ago when taking them from LHR to a European destination that they don’t offer free food and drink any more (most of my flights are from LCY where food and drink are served as part of ticket price) On our next trip my colleague flew with me on QR, he had some hesitation as it was business class and not First but in his words, the q-suite was far superior that BA First and the service was unbelievable.

To end each has their own standards and preferences, I know many that love BA and wont fly anyone else and I know many that have been BA supporters but now fly with other airlines because they have had enough of BA. The new Business Class on the A350 looks to be on a par with other leading airlines.

Colsoul
    Participant

Flight got further delay as the A380 (which just came out of maintenance hangar) had problems with cargo bay air-conditioning.
    BA claimed as it was separate tickets (for connecting flight in Chicago) that the EU rules does not apply. At least, it is loud and clear BA does not care about loyalty of First Class passenger… so BA lost my business, next time I want to fly First Class, I will chose AF, LH or Swiss, airlines with true First Class.
    Last but not least, I encourage Willie Walsh, Alex Cruz and BA management team to read “Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won’t Teach You at Business School” by Richard Branson, they would learn something about customer service and customer loyalty.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=952676]Flight got further delay as the A380 (which just came out of maintenance hangar) had problems with cargo bay air-conditioning.

BA claimed as it was separate tickets (for connecting flight in Chicago) that the EU rules does not apply. At least, it is loud and clear BA does not care about loyalty of First Class passenger… so BA lost my business, next time I want to fly First Class, I will chose AF, LH or Swiss, airlines with true First Class.

[/quote]

Why did you not book a through flight to wherever AA was taking you? Was it cheaper as separate tickets? If so, there is probably a reason why it was cheaper.

Tomorrow I take a flight on Flybe to AMS to re-position so that I can get a good deal on BA to PEK on Saturday. I know the risk. Most business travellers do.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=952676]Flight got further delay as the A380 (which just came out of maintenance hangar) had problems with cargo bay air-conditioning.

[/quote]

Well the reality is that BA is right. Delays of less than 3 hours do not get compensated.

If you chose to use 2 separate tickets (presumably to save money) then that is your risk. But you weren’t connecting, only taking 2 separate journeys.

On the wider sentiment, most independent reviews would agree BA First is a bit of a joke, a great business class full of discounted fares and cheap upgrades. A bit of googling would quickly make that clear.

esselle
    Participant

Simon S1

I flew BA F extensively over many years during the 90’s. Then, it wasn’t a joke; it was very good indeed. I was lucky enough to be a Premier card holder.

Ayling, or perhaps Rod, started the decline. Walsh trashed it.

Most of the naughties it was embarrassing.

Couple of weeks ago, I did a flight LHR-JFH-LHR. Fantastic; really good. CCR in JFK was the best lounge experience anywhere in the world. No sign of a discounted pax or friends and family.

It seems they are finally making a bit of an effort. Let’s hope it works.

Richard
    Participant

This is my first post on here, but we need to compare Pros and cons. BA aren’t the best offering in First or Business. However if you want 8 to 9 hours sleep on an overnight flight you are limited in choice. Eg from KUL it is either BA or MAS. Neither perfect but I would take the sleep over a 3 hour stopover any day. Based on this having a direct flight means you don’t need the best of the best especially when all you want to do is sleep. This is based on over 60 flights to SE Asia.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=952693]Simon S1

I flew BA F extensively over many years during the 90’s. Then, it wasn’t a joke; it was very good indeed. I was lucky enough to be a Premier card holder.

Ayling, or perhaps Rod, started the decline. Walsh trashed it.

Most of the naughties it was embarrassing.

Couple of weeks ago, I did a flight LHR-JFH-LHR. Fantastic; really good. CCR in JFK was the best lounge experience anywhere in the world. No sign of a discounted pax or friends and family.

It seems they are finally making a bit of an effort. Let’s hope it works.[/quote]

I think at the last capital markets day (2018) the term used by BA about the F cabin was “high NPS, low paid load factor”, which effectively means not enough people paying F prices, or too many discounted fares/cheap upgrades, mileage etc.

In any case I’m curious: how would you know what your fellow travellers had paid?

They also said they intended to “right-size” F through the introduction of 8 seat cabins replacing retiring aircraft which have 14, converting some 772s to 3 class and ordering more new aircraft without F (like the new A350s).

Perhaps making it more exclusive might change things?

esselle
    Participant

Simon S1

Couple of points.

I think it’s pretty easy to look at people to know if they are friends and family or genuine pax. Little things are the giveaways; how relaxed/unphased/nonchalant/familiar are they with their surroundings? Do they indulge to the hilt or just relax? Are they very familiar with the crew? Etc. etc?

On the 8 seats point, only BA could judge that a single loo was appropriate in an F environment.

Still doesn’t change the fact that I flew LHR-JFK-LHR in F a couple of weeks ago and it was a major step up from anything I’ve experienced from them for years.

The low point was in about 2005; I asked for an espresso, and was told “…you’ll have to wait for it because the girl who knows how to use the machine is in the toilet….”

And don’t mention the Merolest….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls