BA First booking – “economy plus” for the domestic leg

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

I have noticed on more than one occasion that when trying to book a BA flight in first with a UK domestic connection it puts me in “economy plus” for the domestic leg because “This flight does not have First. We have shown you the closest alternative.” Yet if I try and book same itinerary in Business, the domestic leg is in Business. Same thing applies when I attempt a BA UK-NZ itinerary that includes a Qantas leg from AUS – NZ: on a First itinerary I am in economy to NZ on Qantas, whereas if it’s a cheaper business itinerary, its J class to NZ. I presume this also highlights the value of a good agent etc, but does appear to be a failing of their online booking system (especially for someone like me who just prefers the online search and booking process etc.).

4 users thanked author for this post.

Nick Pike
    Participant

I wonder what part of the cabin the “economy plus” ticket puts you in on BA domestic? It certainly doesn’t have first- its actual domestic business offering isn’t in reality much better than “economy plus”. And, of course, there is no “economy plus” category sold on BA domestic. You are either in economy or Club Europe.

2 users thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

It puts you in economy at their full economy fare and so is very bad.

2 users thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

You also have to be careful on business fares with BA and another carrier. When I booked Seoul to Heathrow via HK, it would always show as club but some of the cathay flights from Seoul to hk were in economy despite being the same price. You have to look at the detail and see if it is fare code Y (economy). I have no idea why Ba cannot make more clear.

Another oddity is with cathay fare code P for business, you do not earn Avios with BA – strange as fare code P isn’t the cheapest business class ticket.

FrDougal
    Participant

[postquote quote=1364599]

I think you’re a bit behind the times.

Economy Plus on shorthaul (including domestics) is the flexible economy fare which can be changed on the day free of charge to any flight on the same routing. Domestic flights also no longer have “Domestic” cabins/fares. Like the rest of shorthaul it is split between Euro Traveller and Club Europe.

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

Exactly the same flying First to CPT via JNB. Business Class seats available on the Airlink connection with a BA flight number but seats me in economy!! Tried calling the Exec Club…they can’t understand it either!

JFTraveller
    Participant

Happened to me yesterday, BRU to JER via LHR. Selected Club fares (need some tier points!) having selected Economy at the start of the booking but return JER-LHR stated as no Club and was in Economy Plus.

I restarted and selected initially Business Flexible and then changed it to Business Not Flexible and that fixed the issue as now all sectors were in Club.

Crazy, I know. You have to find your way through the labyrinth of the BA booking engine decisions

Globe_trotter
    Participant

I experienced the same situation which occurred when making an online booking to fly MAD/LHR/MAN return in Club with BA in December 2022: while the MAD/LHR/MAD legs were in Club, “Economy Plus” was assigned for the LHR/MAN/LHR. Outbound, I accepted it since the Club booking into LHR allowed lounge access in transit but, for the return, I explained the situation at the check-in desk at MAN and asked if anything could be done whereupon I was immediately upgraded to Club for the domestic flight: very strange.

bobm
    Participant

This happens a lot, not just when booking First Class but also with Business Class too. When travelling to the US & using domestic flight internally after a transatlantic if in First or Business the domestic segment is in economy even though there is First Class on the segment. Yes when you book the same flights on AA all segments are in first or Business really do not know why this happens if AA can cope with it why can’t BA?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Isn´t this an issue that the BT team could take up with BA. I mean you book First Class across the pond and end up in Economy on a domestic sector, that cannot be right

onajetplane
    Participant

@CathayLoyalist2 – Fair point to raise…I for one have previously chosen a booking with Emirates due to the ‘BA booking me in economy for the domestic leg’ discrepancy (more out of principal and just no difference in price – and I hold status with both)… albeit my guess is those at BA don’t actually care enough to even consider this an issue, so maybe moral of story is those connecting to domestic UK regions are just not on the radar of the BA F & J prospective bean counters…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls