BA fails to make it into top 20 of safest airlines.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

BigDog.
    Participant

Posters who laud BA’s safety record as a criteria for flying with them now appear to have more suitable alternatives…..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/12081177/The-worlds-safest-airlines-revealed.html

Virgin being the only UK LH carrier to make it into the top 20.

Qantas retains title …
    …””Our top 20 safest airlines are always at the forefront of safety innovation, operational excellence and the launching of new more advanced aircraft,” said Geoffrey Thomas, AirlineRatings.com editor. “These airlines are always at the forefront for excellence in the safety space,” he added. “However there is no question amongst the editors that Qantas remains a standout in safety enhancements and best practice.” …

…Along with Qantas, other airlines to make the top 20 included Air New Zealand, American Airlines, Etihad, Emirates, Finnair, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss, United Airlines and Virgin Atlantic….

Overall 2015 was a safer year than both 2014 and the 10 year average.

Airlines with lowest ratings include Batik Air; Bluewing Airlines; Citilink
    Kal-Star aviation; Lion Air; Sriwijaya Air; TransNusa; Trigana Air Service; Wings Air; Xpress Air;

openfly
    Participant

I hope, but doubt, that a senior manager will explain publicly the reasons for failure to achieve a high ranking.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But BA still scored seven stars (the maximum) while even MAB received five stars.

Strangely Ryanair was only awarded five stars because it was not a member of IATA and therefore would not be allowed to undertake the trade body’s IOSA (which MAB, being an IATA member, was allowed to).

Bath_VIP
    Participant

If you read the article, you will see there are two parts to the ranking. The first was to give airlines between 1 & 7 stars based on their general compliance with safety standards (criteria is given in the article). 148 airlines were given 7 stars including BA so they are in the top tier as a safe airline. By contrast Ryanair (& other well known airlines) were only given 5 stars.

The publishers of these rankings then selected 20 airlines they felt were the most innovative in seeking to improve safety standards and BA didn’t make this group. So basically BA are top notch in terms of compliance but they are not among the best in the world in terms of innovation.

Does that sound familiar?

slotski
    Participant

Something I noted on my recent LHR-SFO return trip on BA on the A380, CW upper deck. On take off and landing – both flights – the FAs did not ensure all blinds were in the open position – I understand this is a requirement to aid an emergency evacuation.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Only those blinds on the door or next to the door need to be open.

MrMichael
    Participant

Surely this about the culture at an airline rather than individual lapses that are bound to happen from time to time. I am not suggesting these lapses are ok, just that they happen from time to time. With something so complex relying on often poorly paid staff safety errors will occasionally happen. Provided they are minor and are not a part of the airlines culture then not too much to worry about.

I would be interested to know how Air France fared in this, an airline I avoid like I do playing cricket on the M275. Air France has a culture that worries me, to the extent I don’t too much enjoy flying through French airspace. They make damn good cheese though, unlike the pitiful so called cheese I had last night at a leading Newport Rhode Island restaurant.

openfly
    Participant

The blinds on BA Citiflyer and Comair MUST be up. At LGW short haul some say up, some don’t care. LHR short and long haul…anything you like. So, the BA product is totally inconsistent…….

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

All blinds must be up on both sides of the cabin. It’s so all window seated passengers can see the circumstance on that side of the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

AviationGeek
    Participant

Openfly – the reason why Cityf?yer & Comair (both flying in BA colours) have different rules on window blinds may have to do with them not being BA mainline.
    Similarly the rules regarding PED’s on (in flight mode) for TTOL are different on BA mainline and Cityf?yer due to certain changes being approved by the authorities.
    Window blinds (on pax windows) are one of the many features where rules vary from airline to airline.
    Confusing for the pax – yes.
    Inconsistent – yes, but then what isn’t in aviation (not just BA).

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Anyone who still operates an aircraft that first flew in 1989 such as BA’s 767-300 G-BNWA is hardly worthy of making it into the top 20 in my book.

openfly
    Participant

@AviationGeek…sorry I don’t understand what PEDs and TTOLs are!

@AhMrBond G-BNWA might be considered to be a mature aircraft, but most BA short/med haul aircraft are low hours machines due to the type of work BA puts them through. Most of them are in bed for the night, whereas “charter” type flying has them airborne all day and night. Also, BA engineering have a reputation for excellence, so they are in good nick.

BigDog.
    Participant

openfly – 06/01/2016 14:00 GMT

…”BA engineering have a reputation for excellence, so they are in good nick”….

Methinks HAD rather than have. Recent close calls – cowls unsecured, device left on engine intake appear to have been down to Engineering who have faced similar cost/efficiency pressures, targets and hour management as cabin crew.

AviationGeek
    Participant

Openfly – apologies for the abbreviations! They’re not obscure airport codes (maybe they are, but that’s a different thread) but
    PED: personal / portable electronic device
    TTOL: taxi, take off & landing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls