BA F to SYD with miles

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

” if their high enough value, thier quite happy to do this, as Potakas has set out.”

VK, what has happened to your grammar?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite appalling!

I’ve just slaughtered one of the the staff here in the infirmary; it really isn’t that difficult to take accurate dictation.

Let’s hope it won’t happen again.

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi all.
    I phoned “You First” today and the extremely helpful BA lady there told me that she was very sorry we would not be able to access the T5 First lounges. She did double check but as we are going on from T3 we should use the lounges there. We wouldn’t get through security as we would have the wrong boarding pass. That will be absolutely fine and we will have time I’m sure to visit the esteemed Concorde Room on the way home.
    Thank you all for your help and sorry to have put you to any bother. I should have just phoned “You First” First! But sometimes well-travelled and well-informed people like you have much better “first hand” information! 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am sure you will have a great time. The T3 lounge complex is still very good, the only bad thing will be fighting your way through the crowds and past the delightful shops.

Remember there is a fast track entry into the security line.

If you have time, please do post a trip report.

I have told Mrs S to change from M & S to Tesco’s.

Your story is fantastic, shop at Tesco’s and fly to Australia for free and in First!

Regards

Martyn
    xx

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi Martyn – well just remember I had to (or at least the DH did) pay taxes and fees and there’s just no escaping them now! But a small price to pay methinks for what we will enjoy!
    Oh poor Mrs S that’s funny – I am afraid I can’t resist M&S but you’ll still get your points on the Tesco MC or BAAmex if you (I mean Mrs S! pays with them) – especially if you’re saving up for the Companion voucher. And I’m sure Mrs S can help you spend towards that NO problem! LOL! It really does pay in the end to put everything on these cards.

We’re not actually going until August (I know I know I can hear all you men groaning but hey I’m excited about the trip!!!) and yes I will post a report on our experiences in First.

Best wishes to you
    Papillion

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I still find this amazing. And yes, please all shop at Tesco’s for the vouchers. I declare a vested interest in that I just bought shares after their recent tumble!!!

pdwtrip
    Participant

Hi Papillion

Just taken the trip in F using miles & Amex 2 for1,with my wife, writing this to keep from going to sleep too early!
    Check in T3BA F area very pleasant – lots of staff, few passengers.
    Security Fast Track – no problem.
    Lounge – while not as smart as T5, all very professional and friendly – with a pleasant quiet atmosphere, Bollinger Rose went down well, plus an early course of haddock with cheesy mash in the sit down restarant was ideal as we had missed lunch.
    Spa was crazy – one delightful lady who was acting as receptionist and therapist. There was a note on the Spa reception explaining that abuse would be prosecuted! Apparently she often gets a bad time from dissapointed passengers as there are so few slots. This should either be run with enough staff or closed down.
    First leg on a 747 to SIN with NF, boarding usual long queue / scrum – BAA seem not to like the dual jetty system that is used so widely in Asia.
    Had secured 1A K – only 3 seats were taken during online check in – but cabin full ( presume upgrades) on the day.
    Plus points
    – general ambiance & good quality leather armrests and trim
    – size of IFE screen
    – wardrobe worked well
    – seat comfort – preferred to previous seat for me.
    – window blind looks cool
    – food and wine all available, v good quality
    – crew excellent – professional and friendly
    Minus points
    – brushing the previous passengers croissant crumbs from the seat before you sit down does seem unreasonable – especially as potentially you could have paid 9K for the ticket.
    – cabin generally was grubby from a poor clean
    – wear apparent in a number of areas – this may have been an early conversion?
    – IFE a bit cluncky – especially compared with the new system installed on the 777-300s
    – shame footstall does not adjust like the CW version
    – the loos have been untouched and are peeling around areas and generally look run down
    – lighting – appalling design as there are 3 units – one wall light too dim to read by, two further lights in the ceiling for reading – but if you use them it’s like you have lit up half the cabin, plus they glare into your eyes because of the angle of beam

All of the above applied to the 777 from SIN to SYD, cleaning looked a little better – but not great. Crew were even better than first leg and food excellent.Seats were centre front pair – slightly roomier than the 747, not as private.
    SIN F lounge is a pleasant enough quiet place to spend time for the short stop the showers work well.
    SYD immigration queues were long – there did not seem to be a fast track.
    I feel that it’s a shame that the NF refit opportunity did not address things like the loos, and as on many previous flights why the cleaning is so poor.
    Overall we both thought it was a great trip and enjoyed the 30 hour door to door journey – particularly crew and food.

Hope you have a great trip in August.

Papillion53
    Participant

LuganoPirate – Yes I agree – I have to pinch myself sometimes especially yesterday when I called “You First” – it’s wonderful and do you get extra Tpoints if you are a Tshareholder? 😉 :-)!

pdwtrip – thanks for that – I’m glad you and Mrs Pdw had a great trip. It’s a shame isn’t that small details are not attended to. There is no excuse for not having a clean plane – we recently came back from MIA on another airline in PE (we paid this time!) and our seats looked like they had been the venue for a child’s party – crumbs down the sides of the seats, dirty stains on the tray tables – made us feel dirty just sitting there. I think the crew themselves make such a difference – we’ve had excellent and some who are not good ambassadors for BA.
    I feel so sorry for the spa therapist at T3, abuse in any shape of form is not acceptable and really if you can’t get a 20 minute massage it’s not really the end of the world is it?
    When we came back from JFK in NF in Sept 2010 – I think we were lucky to get one of the first new F’s 777 as even the check-in lady was excited to tell us “we were in for a treat on board” and we had a lovely cabin crew who were as excited as we were as they hadn’t even seen the newF, never mind “work” it! As we were on a miles ticket I did wonder if there would be any difference to the service on board, from what I could see, there absolutely wasn’t and it was fabulous, We had pre-flight dinner with the intention of sleeping, but “Sex in the City” winked at me and I was a very happy bunny lying there flying across the Atlantic all wrapped up in my comfy duvet with my hot chocolate and warm cookies watching the movie (girls will understand this!), while the DH was snoring his head off in the adjacent seat! LOL!

We had middle seats then and I do like to look out the window so for our trip to Oz, I’ve booked 2A,3A on all sectors. So I may or may not invite the DH to join me for dinner!

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your journey. 🙂

PS Haddock and Cheesy Mash – yum – guess what the DH is now having for his supper! LOL!

Papillion53
    Participant

Should have said from Tesco of course! LOL!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good point Papillion about the extra vouchers, and I don’t know the answer. It’s a bit academic as we only come to England once a year by car and now Mrs. LP will only shop at John Lewis in Bluewater (a large retail park outside London).

I do understand the hot chocolate bit. Seems BA is the only airline from my experience that offers it. The Sex and the City with duvet bit is alien to me though Mrs. LP does concur with you!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My broker just called and I took the opportunity to ask her about Tesco shareholder perks. Apparently it’s just a small gift given to you if you attend the AGM.

M & S give out discount vouchers sent with the dividend in January, so miles excepted, that is probably the better deal. Though I do think Tesco will outperform M&S this year which with the miles would most likely make that the overall better deal if you buy the shares!

Cwyfan
    Participant

It is not just Tesco…John Lewis and ebay as well!

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls