BA Extends HBO Fares to LHR and LCY

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I just bought some LHR to Dub flights and these were hand baggage only fares.

I miss out on my BAEC gold baggage allowance but on these flights I am without baggage.

Also see this is operational on my more usual Lon to ZRH route.

I am not sure how I feel about it…. 80% of my prior flights on this route are without hand luggage.

Another differentiator to SWISS on the route…… I have long since stopped using SWISS on this route for a multitude of reasons (lounge access for Silver FTL, seat choice at login), sale of one way flights)

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Swiss has been offering HBO fares to/from Geneva since last month. Short-haul routes to/from Zurich could follow at a later date.

Geneva was chosen first (in the same way that BA initially launched HBO fares at Gatwick) because of greater price competition from LCCs.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Klm and AF also introduced this from earlier this year, and Cityjet also now ex LCY.

Silver, Gold, Platinum cardholders can still take Hold baggage as usual without charges, and no need to buy the higher “with bag” fare.
    Connecting Intercontinental flights or other European flights out of AMS, are also exempt.
    Just another way all the Airlines are trying to gain extra income.

But more and more, the Non low cost carriers, are beginning to feel “low Cost”, with all the add ons, and no more inclusive fares!

I would like to see them all obey the law, and BA, KLM, AF etc, STOP charging £4.50+ for credit cards, as per the change in law earlier this year!
    Why is this not being enforced?

SwissExPat
    Participant

Hi Alex

you are correct about the ex GVA fares and terms.

Indeed these fares are making departures ex ZRH look to be massively expensive…. and indeed SWISS offering 1 way fares…. Unheard of!!!

If only these could be available from ZRH……. then we’d be happy!

I am still trying to work out how to put all my toiletries in 1 clear plastic bag so that I can take advantage of these HBO fares. Even on a one-night trip I always check in my case and it looks so small and sad compared with the other monstrosities on the carousel 🙁

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Alexpo there’s a whole section in Tesco devoted to miniature toiletries for the 10 x 100ml rule, quite a niche market given the pro rata prices. But they do save time and money especially on a 1-night stay compared with buying normal >100ml sizes landside on arrival, only to ditch them at security on the return sector. You can also buy a set of 3 x 100ml reusable empty bottles to decant your favourite brands if they’re not in the miniature range yet – such as Bunnahabhain, Laphroaig and Bruichladdich (designer aftershaves).

Top advice Bun

Are these aftershave marks suitable for sensitive skins?

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Ah now you tell us you’ve got sensitive skin, in which case you should use the clinically proven* 18-year old editions – because you’re worth it.

Wonder if BA will launch a range of matching hand baggage for their new fares?

* Based on a sample of 2 men who were sober enough to complete my research survey

Travellator
    Participant

Maybe I haven’t got to grips with the booking site but unable to book a hand baggage only flight for myself and a hold baggage flight for Mrs T on the same booking – or am I missing something ?

SergeantMajor
    Participant

You’ll need to book them separately.

Travellator
    Participant

OK for me as both Silver but if Mrs T was say Blue she wouldn’t get advance seat selection at time of booking !

BA4ever
    Participant

Aegean recently introduced HBO fares. They are quite cheap and one can book HBO for one part of the trip which is good for those who do a bit of shopping when travelling.

Personally, I would find it rather unfair if silver and gold had more benefits than they already have, when paying for an HBO ticket.

Alexpo1, not sure where you live but both Primark and Muji have empty bottles of all sizes (Muji also does sprays and tubes) in very cheap prices. You can buy them and fill them up with your own lotions and potions. Superdrug also has a huge variety of 100ml toiletries. It’s worth to give them a try if this is your only problem when travelling for just one night.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls