BA Exec Club – Why Bother!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Having just come back from Cape Town, it was interesting to see how our friends who come down on miles all got free seats on BA, but all had to book a year in advance.
    By contrast I got two upgrades from Economy to Business (to JNB) a weeks in advance from Swiss, and have just secured two upgrades with miles from Business to First (back to LUG) for end February.

SimonS1
    Participant

I find BAEC a great programme if used in the right way.

You can get status without ever setting foot on a BA aircraft, and burn the Avios on other airlines too.

If going East as I do you can fly on EK, Qatar, Cathay and collect both TP and Avios.

Works well for me.

canucklad
    Participant

I stopped using BA yonks ago, but still have a plethora of points to use up ….
    In my case the best value is to use them as currency to UG from “Y” to PE on daytime flights to YVR and possibly PE to Club on the overnight return.

Interestingly enough, I had to endure my mate yakking on about reaching Silver status last week. It took him ages , because his flight pattern is only EDI-LCY on a reasonably regular basis. This year he was helped by a long haul in business to Washington and Mumbai .

His biggest win, isn’t the redemption points rather the access to the lounge that Silver brings. Horses for courses I suppose !!

openfly
    Participant

@Canucklad….your mate with the Silver Card must be mightily pis.ed off if he uses LCY frequently with no BA lounge there. BAs third busiest destination and no lounge. Hey ho.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Simons1… How do you collect Avios and TP flying on EK?

Folium
    Participant

QA codeshare.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=915374]QA codeshare.[/quote]

QF codeshare.

All London to Dubai flights on Qantas codes are operated by Emirates.

handbag
    Participant

I collect Avios by playing the Credit card game. This week booked 2 return tickets to ALC in Club on Reward Flights (lots of dates and seats available) . It was £98 for the 2 of us and 30,000 points. Looked to see how much same flights were if we paid and it was over £800. Fly to ALC numerous times a year on points and feel that it is worth bothering.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

You’re probably right openfly…even worse. my mate enjoys a wee snifter and a pint. His travelling pattern probably means his visits to BA’s EDI lounge are limited to an early morning quick cup of coffee . So, in reality not much benefit getting moved up to Silver. And as much as he travels back and forth to LCY, if he doesn’t make his business class trips abroad, little chance of renewal.

Morning handbag, trust you’re enjoying life beyond BA : )
    Not sure were you stay , but £98 plus 30,000 points to ALC especially from a London airport seems a bit of a waste. Last time I flew to ALC it was £40 return from EDI , albeit flying EZY and Frightmare , but heyho can handle a bit of LCC nonsense for those prices !!

handbag
    Participant

Canucklad

Life post BA is amazing. Best thing I ever did.

Agree you can sometimes get cheap flights. Sometimes you just want to not be treated like cattle, go and sit in a peaceful lounge (not a card holder, so don’t get normally) and have a relaxing flight. July at LGW is a hectic time and they were great flight times.

Been doing quite well with the Avios points by switching cards. Just got another 9K referral and 22 K points by taking out a new card.

TominScotland
    Participant

To pick up this thread again…

I have just met my tier point requirements to retain Gold, over 3 months ahead of schedule, which is unusual for me.

I am booked in Economy with BA via LHR tomorrow on a 747. On checking in, I see that I have been upgraded to Club World for my long-haul flight, a ‘double upgrade’ which I think is unusual but very welcome. Is this a very nice way rewarding loyalty?

To me, this makes ‘bothering’ worthwhile. I will be able to make much more productive use of a day flight as a result and will be far better prepared for work when I arrive.

BTW, over the past year, In addition to tomorrow, I have been upgraded from PE to Club World twice (both times with my wife), from Economy to PE once and three times in Club Europe.

2 users thanked author for this post.

nigelchism
    Participant

Gosh. I have flown F to the States several times & to KUL and Club around the world simply by bothering. Seems pretty good to me…

capetonianm
    Participant

Remarkably, I have just managed to get a flight using Avios + cash, since I wanted to both use up some of my Avios and, a rare event, travel on the same flight as my wife who is as much of a BA fan as I am not.

I used the website, it went without a hitch, and the forthcoming flight appeared on the app. For once, I am happy to relate that BA’s IT seems fit for purpose. Now, waht can go rwong?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=978312][/postquote]

Don’t count your chickens before you are at you destination with a cold beer in hand.

capetonianm
    Participant

…… and luggage!

(Nice to know I’m not the only cynic!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls