BA EuroFlyer — The Gatwick face of British Airways?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

“British Airways to launch a new low-cost short-haul subsidiary based in London Gatwick”, (aviation24.be 10-11-21)

British Airways to launch a new low-cost short-haul subsidiary based in London Gatwick

-operates from March 2021
    -initially to operate 17 aircraft
    -This new carrier will operate flights to European mainly leisure destinations under the British Airways brand.
    -British Airways has today registered BA EuroFlyer as the name of its new short-haul operation from London Gatwick Airport.The identity was lodged with Companies House in the UK although the operation is expected to retain regular British Airways branding in the mould of BA CityFlyer.

Question: Will it only operate from Gatwick? Or will it take the advantage to operate from other BA airports?

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

“British Airways sets up BA EuroFlyer for Gatwick ops”, (ch-aviation 15-11-21

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/109708-british-airways-sets-up-ba-euroflyer-for-gatwick-ops

The most surprising point noted in the article is that the airline will 75% (or more) owned by BA. So who is going to be a minority investor in the airline? or would want to be for that matter?

In another article published in SIMPLE FLYING 15-11-21 under the title “Virgin Atlantic Expected To Return To London Gatwick”,……..

Virgin Atlantic Expected To Return To London Gatwick

………..there is a sub-article under the headline, “British Airways needs to decide what it wants to do with its Gatwick slots”, speculating that if BA did not use its Gatwick slots it would hand them over to fellow IAG airline, Vueling. That leads me to consider if the 25% of BA-Euroflyer not in the hands of BA were to be passed over to Vueling. (not so mad as it sounds.)

transtraxman
    Participant

Though this might be considered off-topic I thought it would be the best place to insert information about subsidiary airlines of the big legacy groups.

“SAS to launch Connect, Link brands in 1Q22″, (ch-aviation, 3-12-21)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/110407-sas-to-launch-connect-link-brands-in-1q22

The most relevant points are the following…….

” SAS Connect will operate Airbus narrowbodies and will be based on the existing Air Operator’s Certificate of SAS Scandinavian Airlines Ireland (SL, London Heathrow) which operates nine A320-200Ns”. ……and…..
    ” Operations of SAS Link are also planned starting beginning of 2022 out of the crew base in Copenhagen,”
    plus….” SAS Link will be an entirely new segment given it will use E195 regional jets.” likened the set-up to that of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines/KLM cityhopper or Iberia/Iberia Express. The SAS Link platform will be independent of regional operations outsourced to third-party providers; SAS plans to continue wet-leasing regional turboprops and smaller regional jets.

That should help clarify where BA-Euroflyer is going.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There are changes afoot in Scandinavia and for SAS.

It would seem that SAS (the national airline of Denmark, Norway and Sweden) is striving to reduce its short-haul operating costs.

As we reported last September Eurowings is to open a Stockholm base in March 2022.

It would appear that Eurowings will be taking over some (maybe all) SAS short-haul routes.

As readers may know Eurowings operates all Lufthansa mainline’s routes from Germany except for those from its Frankfurt and Munich hubs.

Eurowings plans significant expansion

transtraxman
    Participant

Operations by BA Euroflyer will commence 29 March 2022 as already announced. BA ascertains the service on offer will be the same as BA mainline and BA Cityflyer. Routes will start to six destinations initially rising to the 35th destination, Athens, on 4th May. As BA Euroflyer will most likely not have its operating license at first it will use the services of BA mainline.It starts with 3 aircraft rising to 18 by the end of May. Many of the routes transfered to Heathrow in 2020 will be returned to Gatwick to offer competition at lower prices to the same ones from Heathrow. That is an interesting move but it has a danger in that it could end up cannibalising its own market. We will have to wait and see if BA Euroflyer can compete against the LCCs at Gatwick, (principally, Ryanair, Easyjet and Wizz).

“British Airways Launches Its London Gatwick Short Haul Subsidiary”, (Simple Flying, 14-12-21)

British Airways Launches Its London Gatwick Short Haul Subsidiary

“British Airways’ Gatwick offshoot to serve 35 destinations”, (Travel Weekly, 14-12-21)

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/british-airways-gatwick-offshoot-to-serve-35-destinations

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Interesting.

Based on the information currently showing on ba.com it appears that the route to Jersey (Channel Islands) is remaining as a Heathrow only departure.

BA will be flying to Berlin from Gatwick as well as from Heathrow and London City. I don’t recall BA flying to Berlin from Gatwick in immediate pre-COVID years.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s correct FrequentTraveller.

In the past Lufthansa operated TXL-LGW and it also operated LCY-TXL.

But I cannot recall BA serving both LGW and LCY from Berlin.

Gkesuuuk
    Participant

It is good to see BA back in force at Gatwick. As a business traveller, disappointing not to see the return of destinations like Edinburgh, Rome and Vienna but good to see Amsterdam. A massive positive are separate rumours that Gatwick to JFK is returning

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s not a rumour Gkesuuuk

BA is starting LGW-JFK in May 2022. Our copy is reading to be posted probably tomorrow.

It’s going to involve a dual between BA and Jet Blue.

Gkesuuuk
    Participant

That is good news. I always preferred it to LHR, partly due to where I live but also good service; smaller business cabin and refurbished planes.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

A duel surely?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

My mistake ImissConcorde. You are correct of course.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Bit ironic really, today I received an email from BA stating that my LGW to SZG to LGW flight next July has been cancelled. No reason given. Infuriating to say the least.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1165955]Bit ironic really, today I received an email from BA stating that my LGW to SZG to LGW flight next July has been cancelled. No reason given. Infuriating to say the least.[/quote]

SZG (Salzburg) isn’t one of the destinations listed for BA’s short-haul LGW network for 2022.

British Airways returns to Gatwick in a big way

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls