BA drops Anytime Access for Gold cardholders

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

DS – I agree with you that a business should not “annoy” its high revenue clients and its easier to sell to exisiting clients.

However, any rational person should focus on the fact that there is a long term harvesting of cost savings by reducing a benefit that logically should never have exisited in the first place.

As a shareholder of BA, I would favour Anytime Access being changed to Oneworld Access and for loyalty across the entire Oneworld Partnership to be on an equal footing rather than the current system of each programme creating their own local rules.

I dont think that BA gain much extra business with Anytime Access, its a luxury that became a necessity and has now been removed.

Well done BA – now lets hear about a sweetner.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@NTarrant: Highly theoretical and not really the business travellers pattern… If in Europe, we all want to go back home for the week-end.

@Martyn: I am not that a heavy traveller and being premium on the three programs requires some strategic thinking. Prioritising Gold on BA was notably based on Anytime Access. Now Silver will be enough for me…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am a proud Gold card holder and have been for a number of years. However, after reading all the posts on this site and scanning the posts on FT, I am really beginning to wonder what use the card is at all for me, airmiles aside of course.

I fly F or J so get lounge access regardless, gate upgrades appear more luck than card colour and if I dont get BA lounge access, I have plenty of other lounge choices (except in T5 of course, but thats never a problem).

It seems that the Gold card is of more use to the economy passenger to gain lounge access than of any real benefit to the F ot J pax.

I suppose the free seat choice is worthwhile, but it just seems to me that everyone is huffing and puffing about a subject that in reality is more about ego than anything of practical value.

I have just changed my black metal Amex card to a silver (plat) coloured piece of plastic and earned myself £1500 in the process (by the savings).

Perhaps airline loyalty cards need a total revamp with a true customer response programme to see exactly what benefits the loyal passenger really want or need.

batraveller2
    Participant

I think we all know that BA does not really care too much about its UK customers. I travel from Aberdeen and am sure those flights and excellent lounges (which are far better than T5 as are personal) will disappear. Whilst the BA product is excellent it is not really a British airline, and the service has been downgraded by mixed fleet where easyjet crew are better (but you do not pay £3k for a flight). This is an insult to gold customers, and I suggest all complain to BA exec club.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

batraveller2 – what exactly should we complain about?

As you say “the BA product is excellent” – but you still suggest that gold customers complain to BA exec club……

I pay a fare, I get a seat, I get lounge access and airmiles, Occasionally I get upgraded, but thats not a turn on – and for being a loyal client/customer I am rewarded by being identified by a Gold piece of plastic that is supposed to make me feel a cut above the rest.

I actually dont get it. Why do airlines bother with loyalty programes becasue if you buy the product, you get the service.

Where this is contracdictory is at the lower service levels, i.e buy a cheaper seat, enough times, and buy your way into the “club”.

Does anyone actually know the cost of BAEC, the lounges, the staff, the budget. Is there a real ROI in terms of the investment or do the lounges exist as a loyalty becasue its expected.

The lounges are a haven, but instead of pretending to reward loyal customers, why not just charge people for using it and do away with the Gold/Silver/Blue cards. Radical, but maybe sensible………..?!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Judging from the recent tremendous outburst of angry inputs from the UK-based BAEC memebers, I sense many feel BA has betrayed them by stripping their precious “ENTITLEMENT”.

A UK problem mainly, partly created by BA with the steady pruning of their short haul destinations, thus effectively forcing their best customers to using another airline for the MISSING LINKS.

A change in company travel cost cutting policy of using LLC also has created a lot of “Loungeless” souls in a generally uncomfortable London air terminal that has driven many BAEC members to take refuge in BA lounges when travelling on other carriers.

I don’t think BA will reverse their decision. Bad luck for their Gold card members. BA can continuing to count on VK for support!

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Until earlier this year, Qantas used to have Anytime Access for its top tier (Platinum) flyers.

This was removed several months ago, with much angst expressed by members (even though few said they actually used it).

One of the main reasons appeared to be that passengers were flying with other airlines, but still using the Qantas lounges because they were deemed to be superior than those of the airline actually being flown.

The most notable example was those people flying F or J on Singapore Airlines SYD-LHR, but using the Qantas F Lounge at SYD international.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

SQ passengers using QF lounge! That was a case of a gross abuse of the system!!!!

Bill_Hants
    Participant

@ntarrant your use sounds like leisure flying to rack up the points at minimum cost. The real business traveller wants to be home at weekends with his family as swissdiver says, so his spend is going to be higher.

@martynsinclair: I agree – someone ought to break the mould and abandon this craziness.

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

Perhaps a slightly different point of view:
    1. The world has changed – air travel tremendously. Legacy carriers like BA, SAS, LH, AF/KLM, UA, and AA have increasing competition from the bottom (LLCs) and from the top (Middle-East carriers)
    2. Once upon a time, flag carriers were asked by governments to provide service to remote places as a part of regional development policies. Today, no such pressure is put on these carriers, and they get to pick the commercially viable routes only. Therefore, it looks to me that BA has decided that their core market is the Greater London area, and have de-focused from other markets across Great Britain
    3. We as consumers and business leaders have reaped great benefits from the liberalisation of air travel. Gone are the days of inclusion of weekend travel to get a reasonable fare for business travel. The cost of a ticket to the US is the same in 2011 currency as it was in 1993 currency
    4. A well-managed business is one that balances the “Senator’s Holy Trinity of Stakeholders”: Customers, Employees, Shareholders. I know some may claim BA is not balancing these three yet. Thus, my sentiment is with BA on this. I do however, expect there is a trade-off to for example improved meals on-board etc
    5. Change is always painful, especially when it is perceived that one is worse off. I would look at the bright side; today we are able to get great fares for our travel needs
    6. From my home market, I could obtain a BA Gold card for a mere £2850 with some planning. It would be 10 tickets on BA from ARN-LHR in CE purchased with 30 day advance and weekend included.

Our American friends have a euphemism: “There are only two certainties in life – death and taxes”. I would like to add my own certainty: “change”. Things change, and we should balance out the good with the bad. However, how you communicate change is critical. By the looks of things, BA did a poor job on this one.

NTarrant
    Participant

Swiss – It is quite simple to be able to be “home at weekends” using the lower example price I have given. Quite simply, if you travel to say LON-BRU and return this week and have to go there next week or week after you buy a ticket LON-BRU for your outward for this week and return journey for the next week. You then buy a ticket from BRU to LON to bring you home this week and take you back to BRU next week. If you are able to do that 18.75 times or rather 9.38 times then you will spend the figure I suggest without any fare increases or APD increases. In Europe, as Senator shows the amount of spend is considerably lower because of lower tier point requirement

My other example on an average fare of £400.00 which is probably more realistic, demonstrates that at a minimum of £7,500 you can reach/retain Gold. Which is a long way off £30K as suggested

Bill_Hants
    Participant

@senator: which is why “loyalty cards”and the extensive paraphernalia that accumulate around them need to change too.

A business traveller who is not flying the same route month-in, month-out wants flexibility and the same level of service, regardless of route and carrier. Alliances, partnerships etc are increasingly key in a world where former flag carriers are being forced to focus on what is profitable.

That’s why BA seem to have gone wrong here. They have cottoned-on to the need to change but have mucked up the execution.

Senator
    Participant

Bill_Hants,

I agree with you. Furthermore, despite my “cheap” ways of getting a Gold card, I strongly believe “Loyalty” should be rewarded in revenue/margin rather than “miles” only. To my knowledge, the SQ PPS scheme is the only scheme looking at actual spend.

The seemless experience when travelling with an Alliance is important.

openfly
    Participant

@Black Tower

You are absolutely right. Gold card holders are only allowed one guest. But they are turning a blind eye, wrongly, to all the accompanying children. That is why the LGW lounges are so full at the weekends.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Senator: Nice to wake up to read such a rational input from you instead of all the moaning from the other posters.

BA management should IMMEDIATELY tighten their lounge access policy in LGW for visitors invite by their card members to pacify their growing number of angry customers who are about to loose their perk!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls