BA drop to silver

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

I just got dropped down to silver on BA for next year, despite a huge amount of tier points Via flying CX/AY/AA I make a rookie mistake and did not realise I needed to do 4 BA flights in a year to retain it, I did 2. Piled as much flights into OW carriers this past year as I could which saw me lose my top status on both KLM and EK, now lost my BA one as well. Thinking of jumping ship to CX Asia miles as most of my flights past 12 months have been with them. Anybody know if they are doing a status match as i cannot see anything, would rather not start from the ground again.

nibbler
    Participant

http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/cathay-pacific
    – status matcher suggests they might match you to some level.

stevescoots
    Participant

Shot them a mail to see what they come back with, its annoying that despite completing 66+ sectors in past 12 months, almost all in J and long haul i have dropped out of gold from BA, EK and KLM all in past 18 months.

first_class_please
    Participant

Maybe an email to BA claiming ignorance and that you thought 2 segments only, got lots of tier points etc.
    They can only say no…

esselle
    Participant

Good luck with the request. It is hard to imagine why BA would keep you Gold as you only flew half the required number of flights; I don’t think the fact you flew a lot with other OW carriers will influence their decision.

But it you don’t ask……

1 user thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Airlines mostly care that you’re loyal to them and not to their ‘alliance’. In fact, they will often ‘punish’ you for flying with the competition within an alliance. Sounds like you’ll regain BA Gold with all that flying if you also meet the 4 BA flight requirement.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971642][/postquote]

I’m inclined to agree. BA gets a share of AA income on transatlantic routes, however 2 flights isn’t much incentive.

You can game these things to successfully avoid setting foot on a BA aircraft but if you miscalculate there are consequences as OP has shown.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=971628][/postquote]

gave them a call and pretty much tough luck, sent a mail and got the usual auto reply, I am actually on a BA flight to HKG this weekend , just 3 weeks too late

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971690][/postquote]

Shame, as BA normally also give a grace period of 2 weeks.

Filbyemt
    Participant

Is it 4 flights with only BA or can they be
    and or IB flights too?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971811][/postquote]

They can be IB, or a BA franchise flight, or a codeshare with a BA flight number.

I get mine either from short Comair domestic flights in SA or Qatar flights with a BA flight number, but if going west then AA codeshares would also work.

The best thing for me is being able to get TPs on Emirates, booked using a QF code. That is a win/win for me….retain Gold on EK and use remaining flights to get status on BA.

stevescoots
    Participant

Thanks CX! confirmed they matched me into Marco Polo at Gold, 8 upcoming sectors in the next 2 months could see me at Platinunm. took just 3 days from first email to confirmation. Now all i need to do is see if i can get a CX Amex instead of my BA without being a HK resident

1 user thanked author for this post.

traveldoc1
    Participant

I’ve just made the same mistake and dropped from Silver to Bronze!! Several flights with OW (almost all AY) but only 2 with BA in the qualifying year. EC lady v nice but determined. However have 4 BA flights in December and she assured me I would automatically be upgraded again to Silver once those were undertaken.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=972654][/postquote]

Will those flights be in the same BAEC year?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls