BA Data Breach Class Action

Back to Forum

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Otley 14 Nov 2018
at 00:58

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

SPG Law his looking at a group action against BA under Article 82 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU-GDPR) which gives people a right to compensation for non-material damage. This means compensation for inconvenience, distress and annoyance associated with the data leak.

Some people may see this action as being greedy lawyers chasing ambulances, others may wish to participate to make it very expensive for BA and persuade them to invest more in IT – others may just wish to try for a few hundred quid in recompense for their wasted time and effort in having to change credit and debit cards.

For those interested in having a look, this is the URL

Home

capetonianm
    Participant

I see it as all three, but if I had been a victim I would be pursuing for the latter two reasons, and also in the hope that it would shorten the peseta-pinching Basque’s tenure of power there.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I too would go for all three. Hypocritical I know but nice to get a few hundred pesetas back.
    I flew BA CPT – JNB end July so do not qualify!

PS. Sorry to put a personal message here Capetonian, but I’m emailing Tom to pass you my details for the Burger Boys lunch.

Gold-2K
    Participant

I was impacted and would normally just ignore class action mails as I did with the price fixing issue a few years back, but in this case I’m tempted If it puts pressure on the Iberian to do the honourable thing ….. if that is a concept he understands.

Back in the day I used to get approached by customer services managers at checkin who would know when and where and how often I’ve travelled and do the “touchy-feely” thing to make you feel valued. I’ve flown twice in first out of LHR since the news broke and no-one has acknowledged that I have been affected and asked me if I would like to talk to someone etc. In fact on my most recent flight the agent in the first wing didn’t even seem to know I was a frequent flyer and insisted on telling me in great detail how to get to the Concorde Room and how to get from there to C-Gates!

With that level of non-recognition, I’m tempted to join in a class action if it will drive some change!

Swissdiver
    Participant

I qualify as well. And hesitate as well… While the arguments above make sense, particularly the IT one, I consider being well treated by BA in general (I am referring here to customer service, not to the dreadful seats in Club Europe, the awful food and other cost saving consequences). Not sure yet what is the right thing to do.

FrDougal
    Participant

If all ones “non material” loss was nothing more than a mere inconvenience of having to cancel a few cards and await new ones what can one reasonably expect to receive from this?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If all ones “non material” loss was nothing more than a mere inconvenience of having to cancel a few cards and await new ones what can one reasonably expect to receive from this?

Really, what about

– the worry caused by personal details, such as home address now being offered for sale to criminals on the darknet?
    – the concern over whether the pieces of info that BA allowed to be taken will complete the jigsaw well enough for criminals to steal identities?
    – two years regular checking of credit score due to the clear and present danger of criminals using stolen data to apply for credit cards, loan facilities etc?
    – the restrictions in being able to apply for credit cards, loans etc, that will come from signing up for CIFAS protection

I take it that you are not affected – I have taken advice from my bank and signed up for CIFAS, due to the risk of falling victim to fraud.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us

I certainly support the class action, because the fine from the ICO I am guessing will be in the order of magnitude of single figure millions and that is not, IMO, a large enough amount to make the IAG board sit up and do something serious about fixing their operation.

The class action, if successful, will cost BA up to £450M and even if not, it will hit them hard in lawyers and associated fees. That will get attention and drive serious corrective action.

It is time that these large corporations wake up and protect data properly.

5 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

Really, what about

– the worry caused by personal details, such as home address now being offered for sale to criminals on the darknet?

– the concern over whether the pieces of info that BA allowed to be taken will complete the jigsaw well enough for criminals to steal identities?

– two years regular checking of credit score due to the clear and present danger of criminals using stolen data to apply for credit cards, loan facilities etc?

– the restrictions in being able to apply for credit cards, loans etc, that will come from signing up for CIFAS protection

I take it that you are not affected – I have taken advice from my bank and signed up for CIFAS, due to the risk of falling victim to fraud.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us

I certainly support the class action, because the fine from the ICO I am guessing will be in the order of magnitude of single figure millions and that is not, IMO, a large enough amount to make the IAG board sit up and do something serious about fixing their operation.

The class action, if successful, will cost BA up to £450M and even if not, it will hit them hard in lawyers and associated fees. That will get attention and drive serious corrective action.

It is time that these large corporations wake up and protect data properly.

I hear what you’re saying but as someone who is caught up in this (Iv had two cards cancelled, received one replacement and still waiting on the other, I am not actually too stressed. I’m happy that the banks have sorted it and anything that may occur will be sorted immediately by them. I’m concerned that the CVV numbers have been lifted but the cards are no more.

I don’t know if I want to waste my time on a class action. That’s all.

capetonianm
    Participant

FrDougal

For your sake I am glad you are so relaxed about it, but I think you are being a little naive in ignoring the points that FDOS has made. You do not know how much data may have fallen into the hands of the scammers, nor do you know that it won’t happen again. If it was limited to the information on your physical credit card, then the risk is now controlled, but I would not be confident, particularly given the state of BA’s IT and their apparent inability to disclose the true facts, that this is the case.

If I had been affected I would be at the front of the queue for class action, not so much to get compensation, but to get things put right and to see that those responsible are made to pay.

fqtvgla
    Participant

It may be an idea to wait. You’ll lose 35% on a no win no fee, but if a precedent is set you’ll be able to do it yourself.

canucklad
    Participant

On the other thread relating to this breach, I mentioned that I found it impossible to belief that BA would have a payment system in place that retained customers CVV numbers.

I’m concerned that the CVV numbers have been lifted but the cards are no more.

If it is indeed true, (I’m still in denial that a supposed blue chip company can be so negligent) I’m surprised that BA are still allowed to accept online bookings..

In my world, I’ve had to manage outsource partners processes , because they have not satisfied the regulators when taking payments on our behalf. The stringency attached is quite rightly, as tight as 2 coats of paint.
    12 of the 16 numbers must be securely coded if retained & the CVV number is never retained, in fact the customer remotely verifies this independently from our billing system!!

So I still refuse to accept the CVV angle to this breach, its just so unbelievable !!

stevescoots
    Participant

My understanding is that CVV’s were not stored, but snatched at the time you put them in, the same way as a card skimmer works. that said i am no IT expert, I know some on here are.

what has surprised me is that I made 4 transactions in that time and heard nothing from BA, so they must know exactly who has been compromised , how it was done. Mine were all made on PC using the BA website as avios + cash transactions. so i wonder if this has saved me…or BA just have not told me! that said nothing odd is on my amex account and they emailed me to say its being monitored

SpeedbirdAbz
    Participant

On the subject of CVV’s, I booked a flight a few months ago and clicked on one of the stored Amex accounts I have on my BA Household account and input my CVV.
    It wasn’t until a few days later my son asked what I had bought on BA with his card. My CVV worked with his card – and they are different.
    This and the fact I was affected by the breach makes me really uncomfortable – not so much for the immediate future but what criminals could be doing with my data from now.
    Sorely tempted to claim, but would a few hundred £ make me feel better? I’m thinking not.

capetonianm
    Participant

It’s not about claiming the few hundred pounds, or whatever it might be, it’s about making sure that enough people at high level are held accountable. Or shot at dawn.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SpeedbirdAbz
    Participant

It’s not about claiming the few hundred pounds, or whatever it might be, it’s about making sure that enough people at high level are held accountable. Or shot at dawn.

True, I am that angry so will sign up. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls