BA CW catering

Back to Forum

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  MarkivJ 14 Sep 2018
at 15:48

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

So in the sea of negative press around BA this past week a small positive article and genuine enhancement – Do&Co will be catering ALL long haul BA flights ex LHR from 2020.

When they launched their new catering concept last year on the JFK route it was a genuine big improvement. The catering was superb which is what Do&Co are well known for (they also cater for TK and OS among others) and there generally was a huge increase in ‘that was delicious’ comments when clearing in the plates. BA made a huge deal of their collaboration with Do&Co in the internal and external media so we all just assumed when the new concept rolled out to other routes it would also be Do&Co. Wrong. Do&Co continued to cater only the JFK route and the others were catered by the incumbent Gate Gourmet so basically the same medicore slop presented differently.

So great to hear Do&Co will be catering all BA flights eventually. I believe the delay in this starting is due to Do&Co’s LHR kitchen needing significant expanding to cope with the increased workload.

5 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Sorry, it’s actually ALL onboard catering ex LHR. Not just CW.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Hello referguson – I believe Do&Co will also be doing the onboard catering for Iberia.

For BA you did mention LHR but the obvious question is what will happen at LGW ? It seems LGW, at least for the time being, will not be getting Do&Co.

rferguson
    Participant

Hello referguson – I believe Do&Co will also be doing the onboard catering for Iberia.

For BA you did mention LHR but the obvious question is what will happen at LGW ? It seems LGW, at least for the time being, will not be getting Do&Co.

Hi Alex, LGW will be changing supplier to a company called Newrest. They already cater the LCY flights.

I imagine this will be a big blow for Gate Gourmet at LHR.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

BA has just confirmed to me that the Do&Co catering will begin (albeit in a phased rollout) from next month, and is expected to be on all outbound LHR services by early 2020:

British Airways to use Do&Co catering for all flights from Heathrow

capetonianm
    Participant

This is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

canucklad
    Participant

This is good news, and credit to BA for finally ditching Gate Gourmet, however tinged with a bit of sadness and regret to those people who will inevitably lose their low paid jobs.
    However , I do wonder how long it will take Do&Co to buckle under the financial pressures BA will inevitably place on them, that will ultimately lead to a slicing and dicing (no apologies for the pun) of the quality people on the JFK route have come to accept as standard.
    My assumption is based on the simple premise that small scale quality control is manageable. Multiply that cost factor by 100+ and I’m sure BA’s penny pinching brigade will apply the same constraints on Do&Co as they do with their current outsource partner.
    Hopefully I’m wrong.

Henryp1
    Participant

Very good news and looking forward to the full rollout. If other carriers can maintain a good standard of catering across their routes, BA should also be able to do so.

My expectations of any airline does not exceed good for a standard, as this is only a small part of my journey.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Why can’t you just look at this as a positive? Instead of the constant BA put downs. We all know BA have issues and problems but when they do something positive, just give them credit or how about not posting at all?

6 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Give a dog a bad name …… BA has a stinking reputation after too many epic failures and they will have to work hard to recover.

This is too little too late, or as I said earlier, rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It is not on detail that they will be able to restore confidence, but by a major change in attitude and policy. They could start by handing Sr. Cruz his P45 as he epitomises all that is wrong with the airline.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, let’s face it, it cannot really be worse than what we get nowadays (no intent to undermine the destruction capability of the Spanish management). So let’s give it a chance…

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Flyboy18

I’d love the management at BA to understand a couple of basic principles of delivering a memorable positive customer service , that encourages customers to become advocates.

!) Passengers are not the most important people in your organization – Your people are, especially customer facing people !!
    2) Attention to detail- small things make a huge difference, and as per point 1, if you have disenfranchised staff, they’ll let the small things slip ……. We, as fare paying customers won’t !!
    3) Those small things cost little. I remember with fondness , TK’s smiling cabin crew welcoming everybody on board , whilst the aircraft taxied with Pieces of Turkish Delight, and that was in Y .
    I also remember CX’s penny pinching over their pepper sachets, you have to ask for pepper!!

My point is, BA should be applauded as they seek to deliver a, better quality meal , but that will come at a price.
    Do&Co management are under the same financial constraints that Gate Gourmet will be under. Can they sustain that pressure , time will tell?

5 users thanked author for this post.

DavidArnold
    Participant

I too applaud the decision to improve catering aboard CW and hope like Canucklad it is mutually beneficial and cost effective. I have enioyed the White Company bedding and food service on the JFK route and hope that if an improvement across the fleet means less negative comments by gjose who feel that BA is a bad service. I honestly enjoy the flights l take with BA in CW and First and hope this continues but l must be lucky in not noticing the things some people write about or am l just a passenger who enjoys the service without the need to moan or pontificate. I agree some carriers are better such as Qatar and Etihad for me travelling to the ME but they are always more expensive so l am personally happy with the all round service l receive.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I am aware in the minority here, but I’m a big fan of BA’s CW Asian/Hindu vegetarian. I hope DoCo don’t screw or up!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BTUK September 2018
BTUK September 2018
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls