BA codeshare with Finnair

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

Hi, I might be going to Beijing and is in that context considering trying out Finnair.
    However, I really would like to have the Tier points to keep my EC Gold.
    As I read the online documentation, it is possible to earn Tier points on Finnair flights, but I am not confident.
    Flights in question is AY051 and/or AY052. Not sure if these have a BA flight # under codeshare.

Anyone that know about this?

Binman62
    Participant

Yes you will.

The source of info is BA.com collecting miles

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/calculatemilesandpoints/execclub/_gf/en_gb#results

You may need to login

4900 miles and 120 tier point from HEL to BJS if silver card holder and in business class.

LHR HEL nets a further 1418 miles and 60 tier points each way. Finnair are generally cheaper than BA also.

paulmouser
    Participant

This is interesting because if you use the calculator in the above link it details you get 0 points and miles for flying business Finnair. I would be gutted as i booked LHR to Bangkok business Finnair (class I) for October and was told the opposite. If you read the details in the link below it says you are entitled to points and miles;

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecpartnroneworld/execclub/_gf/en_gb

Can anyone confirm? Does the calculator simply not work for oneworld partner airlines?

I need to keep my silver card!!

cheers

RichardB
    Participant

I have certainly got the TP for LHR-HEL when flying finnair, regardless of whether my ticket was for a BA flight number or AY flight number.
    LHR-HEL is one of the routes in europe that earns extra TP compared to shorter european routes.

Potakas
    Participant

Once I had a return exEDI with a Finnair codeshare flight on J.

If your ticket is in business, then you will get 40TPs each way for the domestic (operated by BA EDI-LHR) flight. 😉

continentalclub
    Participant

paulmouser you will definitely earn your BA Miles and Tier Points.

The calculator does work, for British Airways and for OneWorld partner airlines, but in all cases it must be used on a per sector basis.

Accordingly, if you search LHR-BKK on British Airways then, since that is a single sector BA service, the calculator will display the miles and TPs earnt for that sector. However, since Finnair do not operate that route as a single sector, you will receive a nil return.

You should, instead, check LHR – HEL and HEL – BKK etc., separately, on Finnair and in your chosen class of travel, with your membership level, to define all your route, class and status parameters. The calculator will then display the correct credits to be expected and you need only add them together for the entirety of your itinerary to confirm the total miles and TPs due.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You will get the following airmiles and TP for LHR-BKK via Helsinki on Finnair

60 tier points + 1,134 plus any other bonus

120 tier points + 4,897 plus any other bonus

each way.

Try to book the A330 and not the 340 service.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

I can confirm you will get the points.

I have just flown LHR-HEL-SIN-HEL-SIN with AY for which you earn 60+120 points each way (total 360). Given that AY’s pricing is so much better than BA’s, this is an incredible deal when it comes to keeping up your EC points.

However, while AY’s staff are good, service is acceptable and HEL is an OK place to switch aircraft, the aircraft themselves are a big disappointment. AY has three different A340 cabin configurations. I flew in two of them and neither had proper lie-flat seats.

Instead, you spend 12 hours sliding onto the floor from an angled torture chair and that’s why, despite the perks, I will not be going to PEK with AY later this year.

The A330s might be better equipped, but the crews on my flights could not confirm this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls