BA Club World Seat

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Russell2
    Participant

After 6 club world flights in 4 weeks, I was ‘treated’ to the old club world product LHR-CPT on an ageing 777. What a treat, the bed was FULLY flat and did not bob up and down when pressure was placed on the centre portion when lying down. Yes, the ‘new’ product feels more private and has more space but nothing can beat that fully 180 degree experience. I actually miss the old product….anyone else feel the same?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm..

There were some jiggles to begin with but my 17 sectors this year have been very solid.

I prefer the new product to the old.

http://www.newclubworld.com

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Yes, I much prefer the old seats too.

My preference is for a window seat. On the left of the new seat there is a winglet at head height. When seating in an aisle seat the winglet provides slightly more privacy from people walking by. But on the window seat, it blocks the view out of the window. During take off and landing to see out the window I have to lean and twist my body which is not that comfortable. These winglets should not have been provided on the window seats, it’s just bad design.

NTarrant
    Participant

I like the new Club World and find the seat as comfortable as the old, the only niggling points for me is in the old version you had that little fold out tray to accomodate your drink and bag of nuts. The new you have to have the table out albeit in half mode.

The magazine pocket is too rigid and will only take the standard mags.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Old seat was good and the full flat version–is just great. A colleague just had the experience with Open Skies which still offers the old CW seats. He found it solid and good.

Me personally –liked the new CW seat. You feel more privacy with the improved partition and the lower drawer is just in the right place
    (could be more bigger though).

Nigel is right about the lack of holders or space for smaller things.

continentalclub
    Participant

The seat ‘module’ comprising the two ying-yang individual seats is a standard design. In the event of a failure of any component, the module can be replaced with another standard module quickly, efficiently and with minimum passenger disruption.

To introduce ‘variations-on-a-theme’ would not only increase production costs, but also increase the numbers having to be held in reserve to ensure that the right option were always to be available for replacement. For these reasons, it seems likely that a different design for window-adjacent pods would not have been progressed.

I’m sure that considerations such as marginal window-obscuring will have bee taken into account during the design and commissioning phases of the module’s development however, as will cutting an extra row of windows below the existing ones, which would have allowed passengers to still see out while lying down…..;-)

Russell2
    Participant

We divert from the point I am trying to make. The “new” club world seat is not 180 degrees flat. One needs to fly on the new product and then immediatly on the old product which has no hinges in the seat. Yes, the new product has more space and is more private, but at the end of the day, it is how much sleep you can get…..and the new product which bobs up and down when any pressure is placed on the central portion of the ‘bed’ is annoying to say the least. If this could be sorted, it would be the BEST product in the sky!

NTarrant
    Participant

Whilst I would agree that the new seat appears a bit “flimsy” I would not agree that it is not 180 degrees

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I did not have that “flimsy” thing while flying CW. Does that mean I am a “settled sleeper”.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am pleased to say that flimsiness is not a problem for me either.

But back to the matter in hand, so to speak.

There was a noticeable jiggle on the earlier versions of the new CW seat when it was put fully flat. It was annoying when your turned over. I raised it with the Head of Product on one of their roadshows early in the rollout.

This seems to have been addressed in later installations of the seat, which are much more solid.

It must have been retroactively addressed in those seats installed in the first wave, as I have not noticed this issue recurring on recent flights.

As you can see in the animation below, the seta is indeed fully 180 degrees flat:

http://www.newclubworld.com

I use the duvet as a mattress for added comfort, for a quasi-First experience.

Russell2
    Participant

Thanks VintageKrug for admitting that the new Club World seat has its flaws in that the terminal end of the seat bobs up when any pressure (like when turning around) is placed on the central portion. I take your advise re using the duvet as a mattress. Will try this in 10 days! I just find it incredible that this product passed all the ‘tests’. It is by far more private the the VS/EY/MS/SAA fully flat versions, but in the fully flat position, it leaves rather a lot to be desired in terms of comfort. Especially when compared to the old CW product.

David
    Participant

Some good points Russell2; VK, I will try the duvet suggestion next time around!

I fly Club World once or twice a month but also ‘sneak’ in some of the competition from time to time if schedule constraints etc dictate. In the past 2 weeks I have flown the business class products of both Lufthansa (to Dubai) and Finnair (to Bangkok) and can still say without doubt that the BA product (Club World seat/bed) is superior. My recent experiences on BMI (to Jeddah), Kenya Airways (to Nairobi) and Qatar Airways (to Doha) also underscore my opinion of Club World.

Now the above airlines’ offerings on some other soft business products (wine selection, amenity kits, etc.) do markedly stand out, but I digress…

The only further comment I would make to the Club World seat is that I find the headrest uncomfortable when in the fully-flat position. It would be nice if this could be flipped up (making the bed truly flat) and I could supplement the headrest for my (more comfortable) pillow.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I usually sleep with two pillow, so the headrest is not a problem for me.

On longer fights I take a proper pillow from home, unless flying First, as this helps me sleep very soundly indeed.

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree about the head rest, it would be good if it could flip up so one can have the pillow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls