BA: Club World & First Sale Now On

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

• Potakas
    Participant

Well not,

BA cheapest return on F to SIN on September (sale price) £4200 (you can fly even with Qantas A380.

Etihad’s cheapest return (does not provide you with connection every day) is £4364 on J as for the dates I found connection couldn’t give F ticket.

F with Etihad is £4900+

Searched for 1/9 out and 8/9 in.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Enjoy your Etihad flights from Lagos to San Diego!

What’s that you say? Etihad don’t fly there? Surely somewhere on the US West Coast? No. What about somewhere near Lagos? Casablanca’s the closest, and then you’d have to backtrack via Abu Dhabi?

Oh dear.

Better book BA, then.

Bullfrog
    Participant

“Lagos – San Diego”

A very quick search for August 1 out and back August 8 seemed to indicate that BA were not a good choice.

United website quotes $ 5719 in Business & a 6 hours shorter journey on the outbound than BA.

BA website quotes $ 7822 in Club World.

Indeed, Etihad may not be ideal.

NTarrant
    Participant

“Etihad and others have better deals all year round”

LHR-DXB-LHR out 10 return 13 Dec – BA£1589 (pre-sale £1983) Virgin same as BA, they too have a sale Emirates £2389 a whopping £400 more than pre-sale price. Only Swiss have a better deal but that of course is not a direct flight (LX = £1459)

LHR-AUH-LHR out 10 return 14 Dec – BA £1639 Etihad £2004 Ohh LH can do it for £3876

Clearly not all have better!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Enjoy your Etihad flights from Lagos to San Diego!”

I don’t wish to fly from LOS to SAN.

Let’s try MLA AUH – 1529€ return, normal fare. Out 13/07, back 09/08.

Okay, minor issue that BA does not offer even code share flights from MLA, so let’s lean over backwards and get to MXP at our own expense, same dates.

Cost 4,957€.

3 x 1,529 = 4,587€.

370€ to spend on a nice present for the missus.

Potakas
    Participant

That’s not a fair compare… obviously.

What about MXP-LHR with BA and MXP-AUH-LHR? I am sure BA will be cheaper..

The best comparison is to the East or between the two hubs. Nigel did it 😉

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Why is that not a fair comparison?

I want to travel from Malta to Abu Dhabi, it’s a regular route of mine.

And anyway, BA ex Europe is meant to be a better deal than Ex LHR, ask Martyn Sinclair, our expert at this operation.

I repeat, the fare I quote is a regular fare, not a sale. It is for MLA-LHR-AUH-LHR-MLA, the BA quote is for MXP-LHR-AUH-LHR-MXP, 4 segments on each ticket, comparable air mileage (BA about 2,000 miles less overall.)

I have not quoted a different route (e.g. MLA/FRA/AUH/DME/MLA), which would be 2-300€ less than the regular KM/EY codeshare fare above and which is a special fare from Expedia.

I am not concerned about the hub to hub costs, it’s the whole journey that I buy. Why would I wish to buy from LHR and pay through the nose for airport tax?

BA is just not on the same playing field, the seat on Etihad is fully flat, the food is better and the service is comparable.

VintageKrug
    Participant

http://www.newclubworld.com is fully flat, despite your revisionist view of the world. It has a patent clearly setting out that it’s a fully flat bed, has won countless awards for being fully flat, and is widely marketed as such.

Millions of people fly on the product every year exactly because it is fully flat.

And yet you think it’s not. Hmm.

http://www.icsid.org/feature/galleria/galleria179.htm

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=2&applicationID=6101

NTarrant
    Participant

Now unless Malta has moved, is it not in the Med roughly between Italy and Tunisia?

So with that in mind, why would you travel almost double the distance to travel to LHR to travel with BA to AUH? It is rather extreme to say the least. MLA-AUH via AMM perhaps or LCA or CAI or MUS I can understand. The European fares that Martyn talks about are inverably from Northern Europe with occasional Southern Europe.

Your comparisons Disgusted are flawed as Panagiotis says.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would so much like to see the results of a survey asking all F and Y pax on any longhaul BA flight how much they each paid, (corporate or personal).

I doubt that there is ever an an occasion when more than one F or two J passengers pay the same fare for the same sector (unless part of a group)?

The whole discussion on airfares is that they appear like fingerprints, no 2 are ever the same.

Whilst I admit to flying BA becasue of points / upperdeck / flat beds, I would also question, apart from us “anoraks of airtravel”, how many people actually realise that an airline has more than 1 business class seat operating longahul. Judging from some posters comments about J seats that dont recline, I would imagine quite a few.

As for the BA sale – if you know the specific product you are looking for within a specific budget, the BA sale does give you one further place to research. I have taken advantage of the sale for a trip to the USA by going direct from LHR, it was only £100 more than an ex Europe fare.

Most people however, probably arent air travel anoraks and so they see the word SALE and they buy.

I am interested in the following written by the Hon. Disgusted

“I am not concerned about the hub to hub costs, it’s the whole journey that I buy. Why would I wish to buy from LHR and pay through the nose for airport tax?”

Isnt paying through the nose for airport tax at LHR part of the hub to hub costs, therefore you are intrerested in the hub to hub costs……or am I reading this incorrectly?

VintageKrug
    Participant

If by “airport tax” DoS is referring to APD, which is the only tax payable on airfares in the UK, then people hubbing through London for less than 24 hours are exempt and do not pay this tax.

Potakas
    Participant

Well guys , I didn’t say that is not fair only because of the obvious geographical reasons, if he thinks that picking a European destination to the Abu Dhabi is fair the ok, but he should try to to extend this.

Secondly, this price difference is the APD/UK taxes.

DisgustedofSwieqi,

You said “yawn…..” for the sale. So we started arguing for the sale. You picked up a destination which the last time I looked in the map wasn’t so British 😉 Well guess what, it is a sale exUK. This sale beats Etihad on all the eastbound flights,

You picked up a city/airport that is much closer to AUH and you found better price, is that a big achievement? Can you tell me the price that Etihad will give me on the route ATH-LHR?Or for any intra-European route? Doesn’t make sense to search for every price. The comparison that I did (eastbound) or Nigel did (between the two hubs) are the only fair, excpet if you want to compare the US.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

P Sepsas wrote “The best comparison is to the East or between the two hubs. Nigel did it ;)” My comment, that you quote, reflects that Malta is not a hub, so I’m interested in the end to end cost.

As to airport taxes (what I call all the little extras added together), for BA MXP/LHR/AUH/LHR/MXP it comes to 458.52€.

For KM/EY MLA/LHR/AUH/LHR/MLA, only 77.35€, quite a difference, n’est ce pas?

Now if I book a separate ticket from LHR/AUH/LHR, taxes are £418 or approx. 470€ on that ticket alone.

Whether hub to hub or on a comparable journey, let’s put it this way you’ll save a significant amount of taxes/charges by choosing KM/EY over BA, in this instance.

VK

Where did I say that NCW seats are not flat? I said Etihad seats are flat, this is not mutually exclusive with NCW beds being flat, 2/10 for attention. I had assumed that we all knew NCW seats are completely flat and I have praised the seat comfort several times on here.

NTarrant

“So with that in mind, why would you travel almost double the distance to travel to LHR to travel with BA to AUH? It is rather extreme to say the least. MLA-AUH via AMM perhaps or LCA or CAI or MUS I can understand. The European fares that Martyn talks about are inverably from Northern Europe with occasional Southern Europe.”

I book on schedule convenience and also end to end journey times, some of your suggestions would take over 24 hours.

You need to look at a great circle map to see that Malta is not so close to the UAE, in fact it takes about 6 hours flying time and then there is a 1 hour stop over at Larnaca with Emirates and an hour to get to AUH for DXB, arriving at a not very useful time of the day.

Looked at an ex AMS departure same dates, best fare is 2445€, so by the time you add MLA/AMS/MLA still twice the price of KM/EY.

P Sepsas

You said “You picked up a city/airport that is much closer to AUH and you found better price, is that a big achievement?”

No I did not, MLA/LHR/AUH/LHR/MLA is a somewhat longer journey than MXP/LHR/AUH/LHR/MXP.

Also, the thread title is “BA: Club World & First Sale Now On” and VK’s comment was “only 2 days to go…”, so not limited to UK, with the greatest of respect.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I suggest a trip for DoS to Barking.

Much more appropriate than Abu Dhabi.

The “airport taxes” you refer to are fees, not taxes, unless they include UK APD (which isn’t levied on a transfer) or locally levied taxes at the point of departure.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Isn’t it funny how you always make a snide reply when you cannot argue with the facts.

“The “airport taxes” you refer to are fees, not taxes, unless they include UK APD or locally levied taxes.”

Yes, they do include UK APD and locally levied taxes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls