BA: Club World & First Sale Now On

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s not BA’s fault you chose to book outside a sale period; prices go up and down and BA’s sale schedule is pretty well trailered on here and other sites.

It’s a good lesson for the future; ALWAYS book in a sale.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“£1250 rtn to Muscat is great value.”

……..if you want to go to Muscat!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“BA draws the majority of their UK passengers from a relatively small geographic area around LHR”

Binman – is this information in the public domain. Just becasue BA appear to have abandoned UK shorthaul routes, does not mean that BA’s UK longhaul passengers come from the London region. BA’s competitors can shuttle passengers into Heathrow from all over the UK.

The BKK run is very interesting form Heathrow, in that there are 4 x B747-400 leaving LHR within 30 minutes of each other, BA, Qantas, Eva and Thai. I know that 2 go on down to Australia. Capacity may be tight, but that does not meant that seats are scarce.

If Thai can offer a discounted First class fare at less than the price of BA club fare, from LHR, irrespective of the cost of labour, (ticket conditions vary I know), BA’s prices cant be down to supply and demand. Thai may have an old fleet but their F product is truly First class, except of course for the UK lounge.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is oft repeated that BA has abandoned the regions on here.

The regions are certainly not the focus for future expansion at slot constrained LHR.

But BA does own 15% of FlyBE, one of the biggest regional operators in Europe. And it is increasingly operating as BA codeshares as well.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is oft repeated that BA has abandoned the regions on here.

The regions are certainly not the focus for future expansion at slot constrained LHR.

But BA does own 15% of FlyBE, one of the biggest regional operators in Europe. And it is increasingly operating as BA codeshares as well.

NTarrant
    Participant

Actually Martyn it still is supply and demand. You will have sectors of people who will travel on any airline because of cost, but you will also have people who will travel on the airlines that they feel comfortable with. So in the case of BKK, UK residents and Australian residents may say “I’ll travel BA or QF only” and Asian “I’ll only travel Thai Eva”.

Binmans suggestion that BA is catering for people around LHR is unfounded. What about the people of South Wales that have never had an air service to LHR or the South West. As for people in the north and Scotland they have the choice of taking BA through LHR to a destination or someone like KL via AMS, widening choice.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Morning Nigel

I understand that its supply and demand along with the price point adjusted to the level the BA chooses.

The question I am posing how does one judge the effect of a lower price point on the supply and demand vrs passenger loading vrs average revenue per seat per sector.

I doubt any airline would disclose an average revenue per seat on any sector, but if you take for example London to BKK.

Would the average revenue per seat increase or decrease if the ex London price point was lowered.

On the one hand, some will say, this is nonesense, if your premium passengers are paying less, surely the average would reduce. However, the flip side is that the average revenue per seat could in fact go up (this is across the whole aircraft) due to more seats being used for revenue (due to affordability) and less seats being used for discounted, airmiles, staff travel and free upgrades.

I realise that BA have a captive audience in the UK, but I am reliably told by short haul C C that more and more people are travelling out and back on the same aircraft to Europe to benefit from ex – Europe fares.

If these passengers (myself included) were incentivized not to have to use the European shuffle, then the airline wins, the passengers win and the carbon footprint wins.

Martyn

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Why this forum is always intent on kicking BA on a subject that applies to nearly all carriers? Anyone who wants to go point to point regardless of carrier or routing will always pay through the nose especially for premium cabins; it’s not unique to BA, and guess what it’s not going to change!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Becasue BarnesG, its called discussing the issues. I am quite happy to continue buying my BA fares at up to 60% discount plus having a flex ticket, however, I am also happy to take pay for a direct point to point, but not at the overpriced prices BA charge.

I would also suggest you look at some other point to point fares. Some, Thai F for example, LHR-BKK-LHR are priced less than a BA club (and yes I sometimes do fly Thai) but would still prefer to spend that money with BA.

If I was “kicking”, BA, it would be followed by ………..”into touch”. This is not the case.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Exactly it’s an industry issue for discussion not a single carrier (BA) policy. Living in the “regions” inevitably calls for a transit point so transit time to destination becomes as much an issue as cost. It however has the plus of better choice as I don’t have the frustration of my local airport offering the amount of direct flights as Lhr. When there is a direct option it is without exception the most expensive.

Good weekend all

Binman62
    Participant

BarnsG…..point to point always more expensive…..not so as I demonstarted with LH to HKG where the fare ex LHR was over a £1000 more than the same fare ex FRA or MUC on the same days and flights. LH and others take their lead from BA in the UK and while there will be variations these are not very transparent . Would recommend ITA Matrix as that without doubt has lifted the lid on UK/BA airfares and their disproportionate cost compared to our European neighbours.

Potakas
    Participant

Spotted a nice offer,

Montego Bay on CW + 7 nights all inclusive at Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa, £1499

VintageKrug
    Participant

The “flight only” offers are indeed less bargainacious than in the past, however it has long been trailered that BA is looking to win over the “bundled” holiday market as it’s a great way to increase revenues and diversify as margins on airfares remain challenging.

So savvy travellers now seek out the best deals to include a hotel, as you have spotted already P.Sepsas.

Here is the link to the sale fares:

http://tidd.ly/a31eacd5

VintageKrug
    Participant

only 2 days to go…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

yawn…..

Etihad and others have better deals all year round.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls