BA Club Europe squeeeeze!

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• ViajeroUK
    Participant

Do any European airlines offer ‘proper’ Business Class seats anymore?

Used Aeroflot AMS – SVO, A321, and pleasantly surprised with proper seats in 2 x 2 config with a fixed bulkhead between C and J, Dual language menu handed out, with hot meal choices, and even a list of cocktails available. Made a pleasant change to have plenty of space and decent seating for a relatively short flight.

Few Non European airlines with similar seating that I have used within last twelve months on short/medium routes, Royal Brunei, Garuda, Philippine Airlines & Aeromexico. Mix of A320 & B737 aircraft, and Belavia (Belorus) with an Embraer 195, 1 x 2 config, fixed C Class cabin.

robojam
    Participant

I used to fly CE on a regular basis for leisure and wouldn’t bother about seat allocation. They were all acceptable.
    Since the densification of the CE cabin and the fact that there is no amount of money (not being a gold) that will buy me a row 1 seat I have to fly ET and buy an exit row seat to get an acceptable amount of legroom.
    Therefore, if I have to travel in economy class I can choose an alternative airline if they offer a better value economy fare. In the last 12 flights that airline has not been BA. In fact I don’t even bother to search their fares any more.
    The use of lounges at LGW and LHR are useful on a CE ticket but with no facilities at many out stations (even when advertised as being available) the value seems somewhat poor.
    When on long haul I’m usually heading east so use the gulf carriers or CX.
    I used to justify flying BA because of the premium experience in the air.
    That’s all gone now as far as I’m concerned, the empty middle seat not much use to me and would prefer more legroom instead.
    I’m sure one day an airline will come up with a ‘brand new concept’ of offering business class seats with proper seat pitch.
    No time soon I guess but I’m sure it will go full circle.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Pleasantly surprised with my Aeroflot flight AMS to Moscow SVO a few months ago, proper business class seats on the A321, 2 x 2 config, with a fixed divider between C & Y cabins, proper bi-lingual menu ‘booklet’ with good choices of hot food, wine served from full size bottles, even a choice of cocktails available, same seating and service also on their B737/800. Lounge at SVO was average.

I’ve use a few other airlines in the last twelve months that still offer proper business class seating on s/haul routes outside of Europe, eg Aeromexico, Royal Brunei (no alcohol) Garuda, Philippine Airlines (2 x 2 seating in first few rows, fixed divider, but they sell it as Premium Economy) all of these either B737 or A320 series.

One other closer to home was Belavia (Belorus) AMS to MSQ (code share with KLM) Embraer E195, C cabin in 1 x 2 config, with fixed divider between C & Y cabins. BA Cityflyer use the E190/195 but of course their C class section is 2 x 2 so you are in effect in same seating arrangement as Y not even an empty seat next to you, and of course the flexible curtain divider

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=904902]It’s a shame that the overall BA product is consistently so poor. I’ve just travelled Melbourne to Sydney return with Qantas on a 737, the flight was a little over 75 minutes.

But Qantas is such a contrast to BA, the business cabin is limited to 12 seats, with proper business seats for such a short flight 2-2, pitch greater than economy, but no idea what it was. Seat back monitors with films and TV programmes etc and very good catering of hot or cold meals. I was very impressed with the friendly and consistent service. Not being a heavy Qantas user, it does make me think if I should increase my use on international flights as I am so impressed with the domestic product.[/quote]

Funny you called Qantas 737 real business. Because in Australia many people whinge and whine that it is premium economy at best. And BTW seat back IFE is only on the newest 15 or so 737’s the bulk itnis BYO iPad or main screen.

QantasLink also offer real business on their 717’s including hot meal on the short CBR-SYD flight too.

Anyway I agree with you that for such short flights it is real business but think many Aussies are used to long haul so expect lie flat beds even for such short flights. Which of course Qantas does offer a few times each day between SYD and MEL and on many flights to Perth. Which only reinforces their view that the 737 is second rate premium economy.

They then get a real shock when they fly CE in BA.

Henryp1
    Participant

@BrotherJim

Sorry I not too sure what you mean “real business” as this is not a term I used. If the IFE I described is not across the fleet, it’s still an improvement and good to see. Overall my flights were very good and far better than European airlines.

BrotherJim
    Participant

Sorry you used proper business. I used real. Same mean end of the day.

And yes the seatback IFE is not 737 fleet wide. But either way an improvement over BA. And Qantas rolling out WiFi to all mainline domestic a/c which is a positive too. Except they have dropped music from their IFE offering instead encouraging the use of internet streaming by offering feee Apple Music subscriptions (that only last 2 months)

Swissdiver
    Participant

These high density configurations are a nightmare: over 200 pax in an A321, no legroom as written above, … A nightmare!

christopheL
    Participant

Passionating posts from BT readers regarding the quality of BA Club Europe.
    Very interesting BT awards celebrating BA as the best short haul airline in the world.
    Do BT forum users vote for BA awards ?
    Do any BT award voters use the BT forum ?
    Do BT award voters only fly ET when flying BA short haul ?
    Is there any difference between ET and CE when flying BA short haul as a FF traveller ?
    Why do people pay for CE seats when travelling CE seems to be such a poor experience ?
    Do we live in a real world ?
    So many questions, so little answers

Swissdiver
    Participant

Christophe,
    Currently, LX short haul business class beats BA CE hands down … in the cabin. But there is the before and the after. LX lounges are poor. You happen to be bussed (something BA tries to avoid) too often. T5 is second to none, especially if you can enjoy the “First” entrance, while T2 is very far from the Heathrow Express. So the overall experience goes beyond just a seat. Unfortunately BA plays too much on it.
    In eco, let’s face it, none are enjoyable. None.
    Then there is the bias of the premium status. Here again, BA knows the game. Since many readers are BA Gold, you have the beginning of an answer to your question… QED

SimonS1
    Participant

There is nothing premium about SH travel in Europe these days. However no airline is ready to break ranks with the ‘economy seating’ model, so we are stuck with it.

BA are only interested in feeding their LH routes really.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=905224][/postquote]

You had a canned letter apologising for the catering on your flight from Kuwait?

TominScotland
    Participant

Vaguely on-theme but I just loved the attached which some of you may already have seen (apologies).

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls