BA Club Europe Seating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

Gold-2K
    Participant

Flew BCN to LHR this morning on an A320. Captain announced a/c 2 weeks only in service. However I noticed the plane was completely fitted out in 6 a breast seating. None of the usual flexible seats in the front that can convert to 2 + 3. Of course the middle seat in club was blocked out but the seats themselves were identical throughout the plane.

A while ago BA moved to 6 a breast in Club Europe (with B and E not being allocated) but went back to 5 a-breast (with seat E blocked out) after customer feedback.

Does anyone know if there has been a change of plan. Is this config the shape of things to come? They publicise wider seats in Club Europe but on this flight my seat was defintiely the same width as in Euro Traveller?

Travellator
    Participant

Cant comment on the FIXED seating.

CE is 2 each side, the earlier problem was that the convertible seats on the port side were 3 abreast with the middle empty but opened up, they reverted to converting them so the middle seat ( so to speak )was very narrow.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Yep they have been like that for years, but on this aircraft it was 6 a-breast throughout the whole plane with middle seat blocked out in Club. I have never seen that before on BA.

BusinessClass
    Participant

I think (please correct me if I am worng) on new aircraft as they come into service, this it is how it is going to be. They will not have the converter seating, and therefore you will not get any extra width. The middle seat will still not be sold.

Travellator
    Participant

If that is the case BA will need to rewrite their description of CE.

As a matter of interest how many new 3xx derivatives have BA on order ?

NTarrant
    Participant

This was brought up on another thread about three or four months ago. Apparently it appears that some new aircraft were ordered without adjustable seats at the time of the change last year.

I suspect VK or ContinentalClub will be able to confirm

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s true; the new aircraft were not ordered with convertible seating, anticipating the demise of CE by the time they were delivered.

These planes will be largely rostered on shorthaul routes where the lack of convertibility will not be an issue.

But there will be times when they are on CE routes.

It’s not good news, and I’m not happy about it. But I am firmly of the opinion that CE will start being dropped on some routes from Q4 2010, and then these aircraft will pick up those routes.

Until then, if you pay for a wider seat in CE and don’t get it, write and tell BA it’s not acceptable.

Our comments are read, and indeed BA adopted exactly the suggestion I wrote to them complaining and withdrawing all my shorthaul business when they narrowed CE a few years ago, so there’s no reason to believe that writing in won’t get convertible seats retro-fitted to these machines.

But I doubt it.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

Disappointing news, VintageKrug.

Sounds like a return to the not so good CE days that you mention.

I hope that CE remains on a majority of routes as it does provide a better and more comfortable experience (more space, better catering and champagne) especially on the longer band 3/4 routes.

BusinessClass
    Participant

Thanks for confirming, VK

RogEdwards
    Participant

There are two crumbs of comfort though.

These “SpaceSaver Seats” in my opinion have more comfortable head rests than the Converter seats – and as they are thinner than the Converter seats – the CE rows (1-12 on an A320) – seem to have much massive pitch because they still have the 34in pitch but thinner seats – still very comfy I think.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would just add that I can confirm these seats exist, but am only exercising supposition about the possible reduction in CE cabins in the near future.

BingBongBoy
    Participant

The new Airbus deliveries which have registrations G-EUY_, starting at G-EUYA strangely enough nearly all have non converter seating. There is, if I remember correctly, one aircraft I think B or C that has converter seating for some reason.

BingBongBoy
    Participant

Also, these aircraft will be deployed on any route. They are not specific to domestic or “short haul” routes. So, you may even find them on the night departure DME flights or on such routes as ATH and IST. They do not have IFE capabilities apart from the moving map and safety video, however if they are required to be used, they will be, without the consideration of converter or non-converter seating taken into account.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How many of these are there in the fleet at present?

And are they generally better to fly in being newer (eg quieter, cleaner, better interior etc.)?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls