BA changes to Exec Club Ts & Cs

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

I had to check that it wasn’t 1st April when I read that the BAEC terms and conditions are being amended to allow BA to remove Avios and status from members who criticise them. Is this old news dressed up as new?
    Given that my real name doesn’t appear on my posts (although obviously known to the site’s operators) I don’t suppose I need to worry about being critical. Perhaps this is due to the substantial criticism that the now departed Señor Cruz received!

1 user thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013271][/postquote]

They wont have many Exec members if they execute on that will they now LOL!!!

Johnnyg
    Participant

My daughter has just received a letter from Tesco stating that the relationship between Tesco and BA is ending on 18th Jan 2021. No vouchers to Avios will be exchanged from that date.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013274][/postquote]

I have just received the same email.

It’s not a big deal: the number of points per £ is pathetic anyway – especially compared with Amex. I do have another Mastercard which gives a better “reward”. I tend only to use the Tesco card sparingly – out of loyalty because of the way they handled a fraud committed against me, the fraudsters having cloned my card. Tesco’s handling of the fraud was first class and I lost nothing.

Johnnyg
    Participant

Which is the best, Gold Amex or the BA Amex

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013284][/postquote]

Sorry, can’t help. I have the black BA Amex card which costs me £195 a year. I have had it for more thn 10 years and have achieved a Companion Voucher with it every year since 2003 (the year these were introduced).

Others will be able to tell you about a Gold Amex, I am sure.

openfly
    Participant

Just canx my BA Amex Black at £195 for a free Gold Amex…no brainer, esp if, with a load of refunds, you owe them thousands of Avios!

esselle
    Participant

Have BA actually published these changes anywhere? If they are making changes, shouldn’t they inform people who are likely to be impacted by them? I am inundated by changes being implemented by eg banks and CC companies, even when they are or little consequence. If these supposed changes are real, they sound a bit more like a threat don’t they?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ekond222
    Participant

…Published on BA Exec webpage under T&Cs’.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/terms-and-conditions

Inquisitive
    Participant

This proves that real fools and idiots exists in management of many companies. If someone want criticising using bad words then he/she can use a pseudonym. If someone is really pissed off with BA or any company he/she will not care about the status anymore.

I am not sure how much effort (cost) will be required to identify the critiques and how will it help the business by removing their status!

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013321][/postquote]

Thanks, but where is the specific reference?

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013316][/postquote]

In my view, we should indeed be notified! That said, the only peculiar clause is to me:

any conduct, including but not limited to making misleading statements, which causes, is intended to cause or is likely to cause a detrimental effect or reflects unfavourably on the reputation of British Airways or any aspect of its business, brands, products or services;

“misleading” is the key word. It doesn’t forbid to criticise, I think.

canucklad
    Participant

Classic language that says everything BA want it to say and says absolutely nothing to those whom it might impact
    The art of creating ambiguity is a skill honed by those who fear transparency
    Well done to the folk at BAEC

And to be fair to BA, you’ll probably find most ” Loyalty ” programs demand this of their members —- Esprit de corps , one for all and all for one : )

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=1013332]any conduct, including but not limited to making misleading statements, which causes, is intended to cause or is likely to cause a detrimental effect or reflects unfavourably on the reputation of British Airways or any aspect of its business, brands, products or services;
    “misleading” is the key word. It doesn’t forbid to criticise, I think.[/quote]

Sorry, Swissdiver, I disagree (me with my lawyer hat on). The “including but not limited to” wording totally undermines that interpretation. When interpreting clauses like this, it is common to knock out words or phrases which aren’t contextually necessary, and on this basis an appropriate extract would be “any conduct … which causes, is intended to cause or is likely to cause a detrimental effect … on the reputation of British Airways or any aspect of its business, brands, products or services” or, even worse, “any conduct which … reflects unfavourably on the reputation of British Airways or any aspect of its business, brands, products or services”.

I suspect, however, that this would probably run foul of consumer protection legislation (but I am not giving legal advice here so don’t rely on that!) if BA tried to rely on it in circumstances where there wasn’t some element of malice or very deliberate intent to cause damage.

3 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013488][/postquote]

I’m not a lawyer, but I always understood that for something to be defamatory, it had to be partially or wholly untrue. If you eg criticised aspects of the service during a flight, it might be critical, but not defamatory, as long as you stick to the facts. Where would that leave BA, or are they able to apply the rules they see fit to in the context of “membership” of a club?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls