BA changed my date of travel and airport and won’t reply to my complaint!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Bigfoot
    Participant

I was due to depart LGW on November 3rd for Marrakech in Club World and had booked my overnight accommodation at the LGW (N) Premier Inn.

BA changed my flight to LHR T5 on November 4th and now do not answer emails about this.

I have asked BA to provide accommodation at LHR T5 as I consider this to be a significant change to my agreement with them.

Premier Inn refuse to change my booking from LGW (N) to LHR T5.

BA and Premier Inn do not seem to be looking after me very well………………

Should BA offer me a room for the night on November 3rd?

YorkshireTraveller
    Participant

Hi there. I can appreciate this is very annoying, however BA will state that LHR and LGW are “London” therefore they haven’t changed your departure city, I’ve had this argument with them before. However if they have changed the date, you can ask for a full refund. Then perhaps you could find a flight from LGW with another carrier? Definitely call BA though, don’t rely on e-mail, the phone staff are usually very helpful. Hope you get somewhere.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bigfoot
    Participant

It gets worse…….

In attempting to follow a BA link to claim for disruptive travel it allowed me to actually cancel my flight and a voucher duly arrived.

BA we’re happy to reinstate my flight but charged me an extra £300+ for my error in not being able to understand how their website works.

The operator was completely unsympathetic and told me it was my fault. I asked to speak to a Manager but this wasn’t allowed.

It seems that BA and customer services leave a lot to be desired if a genuine mistake has been made.

None of this would have happened if BA hadn’t changed the date and airport of my outgoing flight.

anyonebutba
    Participant

in all fairness to BA, it widely known that ALL shorthaul (except a few domestic) have been shelved from LGW permanently, so I agree the change to another London airport (even though gatwick is not London by any means) is well within the allowance of a change. they do not have to provide you with a hotel as its a change within the same city technically, furthermore , to get a voucher there are several steps you must follow, which clearly display what you are doing, so if you cancelled and rebooked then of course the fare may be higher thus resulting in the extra charge. it clearly states that you requesting a voucher and that your flights will be cancelled, so not sure how you could not know this?? how odd…. Premier inn on the other hand will happily change your booking if you have a flexible rate, if it the ore paid saver rate then the rules state no changes , not really sure what the issue is here tbh

1 user thanked author for this post.

Fair2380
    Participant

So BA changed your flights and then refunded you? What’s the issue? Sometimes they’ll sell connecting flights through LHR and then onwards from LGW and so it’s quite clear that these are considered the same city.

I have used their website to get a voucher and was very clear on each step and the consequences of it.

For all their faults, BA cannot be held responsible for you booking a non-refundable, non-changeable hotel and then not following the clear instructions on their website correctly.

I think we all have to be mindful that travel is not as predictable as it used to be. As the previous poster said, it is no secret that short haul operations at LGW are finished for the foreseeable future.

komeyria55
    Participant

I have the same issue.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The biggest challenge today when booking any travel with multi service providers, is ensuring flexibility exists if changes are needed.

In the OP’s situation, the only booking modification I would have considered, is ensuring the hotel reservation was flexible and not non changeable.

Sure a flexible hotel may be more expensive, but changes would then be permitted.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1112613]Sure a flexible hotel may be more expensive, but changes would then be permitted.[/quote]

Martyn – absolutely spot on. I have had to cancel numerous hotels because of changes to flight arrangements. In fact, most of them were no difference in price between cancellable and not cancellable. Some required a returnable deposit (for the first night) and in all cases the deposit was returned within a week.

As far as BA was involved, on one of my cancelled flights I also needed to pay more for the replacement. But that was because the original was booked during a seat sale. It never crossed my mind to whinge about this. It’s clearly marked in their terms and conditions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls