BA CEO Resigns

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

Official Senor Cruz has gone….. Wonder if he was pushed or resigned???

5 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

There was plenty of speculation about his future when he was overlooked for the top job when Walsh went. The “transition” period is corporate speak for being eased out gently……

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Presided over too many disasters. IT failures, data breach, cold covid meals.

Who will forget his appearances on the bridge in a dayglo jacket.

Let’s hope Sean Doyle has more idea.

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m sure he won’t be waking up this morning feeling disconsolate or worried about his future , in fact I’m convinced his bank manager and financial advisors are probably sipping their morning coffee with grins the size of a certain cat from Cheshire !

PatJordan
    Participant

Irish newspaper this morning reckons that Alex Cruz was “shown the door”:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40063169.html

8 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

The London Times is a little more forthright:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/british-airways-chief-alex-cruz-ousted-fcjgvcm89

6 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Cruz did not do anything bad or markedly different from any other airlines CEO in the last 6 months.

This change is just a power game by new chairman.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

Cruz had to go as he was clueless at how to create a simple value proposition that customers would want to come back time and time again.

His Media skills appalling, his cost cutting caused many knock on issues (2016 IT failure was because he outsourced IT and forgot about the maintenance of the building apparently – never been made public), the massive GPDR fine and never before have we seen their pilots strike.

FormerBA
    Participant

Undoubtedly shown the door and it is the end of the Walsh Era!

No bad thing in my view though I imagine the long suffering staff will gulp at his payout compared to what they were offered.

Will the new man be any better, will BA again rise to be the worlds favourite airline?

Separately, I cancelled a 241 booking to SCL for next year, on Saturday and re booked in the 50% off sale. I had F return but have had to settle for F out and J home plus a charge of £70. Doing so netted me over 160,000 Avios and the new dates are e better for me too. I had expected, and was fully prepared for, the huge delay in being refunded the near £1,200 in charges levied on these tickets while still having to fork out again for the new ones. To my astonishment I see from my Amex card that the refund and new charges have all processed today!

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013270][/postquote]

Not sure this is entirely to do with the last 6 months, although BA did get a lot of bad PR about the speed with which they moved their staff onto taxpayer funded furlough. Plus the associated bad PR trying to cut wages, trying to fob passengers off with a voucher when entitled to a refund, the “Covid cold meal” in premium cabins when other airlines had organised themselves, and even the lack of staffing and queues when Heathrow restarted.

Not forgetting all the previous issues under his tenure – the IT failures (and the crass fallout with the ABI), the ongoing class action for loss of data, the PR disasters (Alex in a dayglo vest looking serious type stuff), the bungled implementation of BoB.

Some might say that this is a new Chairman putting his people in, others that whilst he was untouchable under Walsh it was inevitable that once his fairy protector was gone his days were numbered.

7 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1013282]Some might say that this is a new Chairman putting his people in, others that whilst he was untouchable under Walsh it was inevitable that once his fairy protector was gone his days were numbered.[/quote]

Interesting to see if the change at the top means a change in strategy across the IAG family . Could we see a move away from the tunnel visioned approach to shareholder happiness to a more balanced — happy proud employees deliver loyal customers that keep the city and the shareholders contented approach ?

Time will tell, but this crisis is a great opportunity to reset their core business values

7 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

However, he does remain on the board as non Executive Chairman.

DerekVH
    Participant

Only for an interim period

esselle
    Participant

But think about it; going from CEO (almost total authority) to non-exec chairman (virtually no authority whatever) is pretty horrible. He won’t be there for long I suspect.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My money is on him going to Easyjet or Ryanair??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls