BA – Caught short

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Daytripper
    Participant

Yesterday, I flew back to the UK on BA Airbus 319 in SH economy. There were approximately 100 passengers in economy and approx 24 in business.

The BA A319 has just one rear toilet in economy. For over 100 passengers.

Is there any legislation governing the ratio between the number of passengers and the number of bathrooms?

The cabin crew member informed me that one rear bathroom had been sacrificed to add two extra rows of seats.

Surely someone in BA management will eventually realise that this ‘race to the bottom’ has to stop somewhere? Reduced legroom in economy I can (just about) cope with on a short flight. But one bathroom for over 100 passengers verges on negligence on the part of BA.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=864736]Yesterday, I flew back to the UK on BA Airbus 319 in SH economy. There were approximately 100 passengers in economy and approx 24 in business.

The BA A319 has just one rear toilet in economy. For over 100 passengers.

Is there any legislation governing the ratio between the number of passengers and the number of bathrooms?

The cabin crew member informed me that one rear bathroom had been sacrificed to add two extra rows of seats.

Surely someone in BA management will eventually realise that this ‘race to the bottom’ has to stop somewhere? Reduced legroom in economy I can (just about) cope with on a short flight. But one bathroom for over 100 passengers verges on negligence on the part of BA.[/quote]

You can use the forward lav, too.

christ
    Participant

The front toilet should only be for club Europe passengers.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=864837]The front toilet should only be for club Europe passengers.[/quote]

No, it isn’t reserved for any particular set of passengers and on an aircraft with over 140 seats, two lavs are needed by all, especially with the BoB trolley blocking access to the rear lav for periods of time.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Perhaps BA, as part of their pre-flight services email, should remind passengers not to have liquids in the four hours or so prior to their European flight, and to empty their bladders and more before the boarding scrum commences to make sure they don’t leave their seats for the duration of the flight.
    This carrier is racing towards the bottom, courtesy of Mr. Cruz, who just fails to see it.

Daytripper
    Participant

If I can use the forward loo, then why is there an imposing blue curtain, velcroed shut, blocking my path?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=865177]If I can use the forward loo, then why is there an imposing blue curtain, velcroed shut, blocking my path?[/quote]

So BA can say that there is a ‘CE cabin’. The service description does not promise a dedicated lav for that cabin.

Daytripper
    Participant

Many many times, both when travelling in BA short haul economy and in club, I have witnessed cabin crew turning back economy passengers from using the club bathroom. It is quite patently a policy, as it is on other airlines.

Why do you suggest otherwise?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=865220]Many many times, both when travelling in BA short haul economy and in club, I have witnessed cabin crew turning back economy passengers from using the club bathroom. It is quite patently a policy, as it is on other airlines.

Why do you suggest otherwise?[/quote]

Because it isn’t an official BA policy – but if you don’t believe me and you would rather sit, cross legged, feeling cross at the injustice of your self imposed issue, then feel free to.

canucklad
    Participant

This one toilet at the back, on any aircraft/airline is just uncivilised.

I recall flying home from Spain, having a few beers in the sun, as it seemed many fellow passengers had followed my lead. one toilet was out of action, and painfully frustratingly, one passenger at the front of the queue, I assume didn’t just have a liquid refreshment.

Never has the saying – ” a minute can be a long time , it’s all dependant on what side of the toilet door you’re standing on ” been so pertinent.

And I’m sure the lady, whilst managing her movement must have had the old adage going through her head……”the only time the world beats a path to my door is when I’m in the bathroom”

And as I remember, I’ll not forget the grimace of the man at the head of the queue, as the door opened, and she returned to her seat.

In summary, a one lav craft ain’t no good when there’s two’s close by !!

Edski777
    Participant

FDOS, as almost ever you are right. Reserving the forward bathroom on BA short haul economy seems to no official BA policy. So anyone on board is free to use it.
    But it seems to be up to the cabin crew. Many flight attendants don’t want to upset their premium passengers and provoke negative comments made on fora, social media and the BA website. They will close the blue curtain and block economy passengers from using the forward bathroom.

Understandable behavior, but all a result of BA’s efforts to increase revenue by adding a few extra seats at the expense of “standard” amenities.
    The race to the bottom has to stop sometime, but as long as BA’s load factors are positive there is very little chance anything in the management approach will change.
    It’s time passengers start voting with their feet, but many of us don’t have any options. Or the options are as good or bad as BA.
    We’ll have to suffer the consequences of our quest for ever lower prices.

Happy flights and drink as little as possible.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Edski777

I agree with your points, also Canucklad’s, this situation sucks.

My point about the forward lav was made on a practical level – I overheard a conversation recently on a BA flight…..

FA – sorry sir, please use the lav at the rear

Pax – the cart is blocking the aisle and I need to go now

FA – you’ll have to wait

Pax – would you like me to make a puddle here or on the seat?

FA – I’ll make an exception, this time

Now, I’d be the first to recognise that Y pax trailing through the C cabin isn’t great for the club pax, but that is a result of BA’s choices in removing a lav to fit in two seats (sans window) and introducing BoB, which takes longer than a gratis service and blocks the aisle for more time.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

For the past thirteen years I’ve flown BA in Europe three to four times a month on a round trip basis. Most if not all times in Club, or in the forward rows that had the old 34” in Euro Traveller. It doesn’t matter how many lavs are on the jet. The curtain is/wasn’t a deterrent to people using the forward lav. Based on my experience the worse offenders got in the crew’s faces when challenged……DYNWIA types.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=865250]The curtain is/wasn’t a deterrent to people using the forward lav[/quote]

Given that it is apparently not BA policy to reserve any particular lav for any class (on shorthaul), why would the curtain be a deterrent to people who need to use it?

esselle
    Participant

FWIW

I think its only the 319 that’s gone down to one loo at the back.

But the curtain thing is BA at its most consistently inconsistent best.

Depending on the crew (mixed vs etc), the C cabin is either considered special or it isn’t.

The old hands tend to politely send those who come through the curtains packing, whilst the newbies tend to tremble and avoid eye contact.

Cruz control.

Brilliant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls