British Airways Catering

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

• Ricardo
    Participant

I flew KLM in Business Class in August from LIS to AMS and onward to BRI and the food offering was not as it used to be pre-Covid. There was no hot meal for example.

Ricardo
    Participant

Lufthansa and Edelweiss were indeed serving the full F&B offering in July/August. We flew FNC-FRA-WAW (LH) / ATH-MUC (LH) / ZRH-FNC (WK) in Business Class and the meals were the same as they used to be pre-Covid. Well done, Lufthansa Group!

Ricardo
    Participant

TAP Portugal is doing the same as BA. Limiting meal service on board and using Covid-19 as the excuse.

WinnipegMax
    Participant

I am flying BA First from LHR to YVR on October 02 … what thoughts on whether their portfolio of boxed snacks, and weapons-grade wines will still be offered …

I do understand the comments about service being a low priority when costs are being cut, but firstly, there is competition and secondly, the fares in the premium cabins are not dropping to “compensate” …. we still pay a pretty fair chunk of the monies needed for their economic redemption, and one would suspect that they should heed their competition.

The lure of Avios only goes so far.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1010746]I am flying BA First from LHR to YVR on October 02 … what thoughts on whether their portfolio of boxed snacks, and weapons-grade wines will still be offered …[/quote]

It was reported on another forum that BA has a contract for its cost saving Covid-19 friendly formula through to next March.

Still, you have time to cancel and rebook with another carrier?

1 user thanked author for this post.

WinnipegMax
    Participant

That’s a drag; sadly, AC are probably worse at the moment … oh well; stock up at the airport!

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010746][/postquote]

Friends that still remain within BA , say that due to significant savings being made on reduction of meals etc, its unlikely to change anytime soon. in other news, further information on Gatwick is due to be announced on Sept 25th, it’s expected that given most crew and ground staff from LGW were made redundant, the base will be closed, lets hope not. seriously would I pay a premium for BA, or would I pay less and get full catering on a different airline. even Virgin have full catering resumed.! poor show BA

WinnipegMax
    Participant

Well, I flew Business Class from YUL LIS on TP on August 31, and had a decent choice of hot meals. The drink service was more limited than usual, but still served from trolleys by a terrific crew. A very good experience.

WinnipegMax
    Participant

I am sure that the savings are substantial; however, it should be interesting to note lost revenue from J and F passengers switching to a more convivial carrier that seems to care about both its product and its clients.

I would assume that the food is a very small percentage of these fares, and it would not take many lost passengers (blamed on Covid for them “not travelling”) to begin an unpleasant spiral.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1010790]I am sure that the savings are substantial; however, it should be interesting to note lost revenue from J and F passengers switching to a more convivial carrier that seems to care about both its product and its clients.[/quote]

But you said the competitor AC was “probably worse at the moment”?

Cheeryguy
    Participant

I’d be interested to know what percentage of the cost of your ticket, is actually covering the cost of inflight catering?

WinnipegMax
    Participant

Indeed it is, but London/Canada is not the only route I fly. And, LH / LX are very tempting

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010990][/postquote]

Ultimately it always helps if we vote with our feet. To an extent BA has a captive audience, however on most routes there is competition of some description.

Years ago I used to be beholden to BA. I had gold status for about 8 years and in some ways it was unthinkable not to use BA as a first choice. Then a number of things dawned on me around 2012.

1. What had originally been an innovative product with flat beds had started to become tired, and other airlines (even the likes of American) were offering direct aisle access instead of the step-over routine.
    2. For LH other airlines were offering better food/drink/lounges and other add ons (like chauffeur cars at destination).
    3. For SH the likes of Easyjet had better frequencies, newer and cleaner planes and an Easyjet card can get you speedy boarding, up front seating etc
    4. It was actually quite refreshing just to pick an airline that flew where you wanted to go when you wanted to go.

I do like BAEC as a programme, but even better I found that I can maintain status on BA/OneWorld without ever setting foot inside a BA aircraft.

Occasionally of course BA does fly to the right place at the right time, but it has become a very ordinary airline. The last time to took a CE to Vienna last year the food was some greasy toasted sandwich and of course BA (alone of OneWorld airlines I believe) cannot manage priority baggage.

Funny thing is even the die hards over on FT (which used to be very pro-BA/the mods hated negative content) have given up trying to defend things. Despite the occasional ‘Let’s Make BA Great Again’ and ‘My Best BA Flight Ever’ type guff most of the threads on there these days have some negative connotations.

But each to their own, clearly.

4 users thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

It doesn’t matter whats in it, what important is the picture shows how it was served. Squashed and torn.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1011003][/postquote]

Again cannnot disagree with you Simon, I also was a avid BA fan and held Gold status for many years so much so I am a lifetime Gold which is as useful as a chocolate teapot here in Asia but what it does do is allow my highest status on MH, CX, CR, JAL, etc which is very useful, each of these airlines (maybe with the exception of MH) offer better all round service than BA and have not adopted BA’s stance of racing others to the bottom! I appreciate my BAEC Gold but not for the reasons some may think…..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls