BA captain being too honest?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Comet62
    Participant

Currently sitting on the BA0374 Heathrow – Toulouse due to depart at 14.00. We were informed there was a problem with the engine after 20 minutes. After another 30 minutes, the captain said that there was a problem with the starter but that we could still fly to Toulouse but the problem would be coming back.

Basically, our inconvenience is less important than the financial cost BA having the issue sorted there.

Irony of ironies, bearing in mind our destination, we’re on an Airbus.

Back on stand now and engineers are “looking at the problem”.

It’s 90 minutes after our scheduled departure time.

Comet62
    Participant

Update: looks like the problem has been fixed by the engineers… We’re off at last, 2 1/4 hours late.

openfly
    Participant

Oooooh….EU261?? ?

PhilipHart
    Participant

@openfly No. That only kicks in when you arrive over 3 hours late.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I appreciate nothing more than transparency whether it be from the captain of a flight or anyone with whom I am engaging. Two excellent examples of late. First flying Alicante- Gatwick with BA late June. Flight called proceed to gate. Captain and crew at the gate advising that the outbound from Gatwick had a hen and a stag party and the BOB was almost depleted so if anyone was in need of food pop back to Subway. He also announced there was an ATC delay of 50 minutes but we would board and hope to pinch an earlier slot. Finally he gave his welcome chat from the galley where we could all see him. An excellent lesson in communicating (Alex Cruz please note). The second one was flying Barcelona-HKG on CX’s new route which started on 3 July. An initial 15 minute delay advised by the captain as Swissport the ground handler for CX at BCN was missing some paperwork. 25 minutes went by and no action so I spoke politely to the Inflight Services Manager and asked if the Captain could kindly provide an update as through the outside cameras, which the A350 has, I could see 6/7 ground staff huddled around the nose wheel!. In literally seconds the captain was on the tannoy advising the delay was down to ATC having lost CX’s flight plan and the CX slot had been taken by another aircraft. Minutes later all was resolved. The point of this second story was after 45 minutes the Captain came to me to first apologise for not updating people but he had been engaged with the tower trying to get the problem sorted. He enlarged on the problem in that ATC were somewhat embarrassed . We then engaged on the whole topic of communication and even it if is not good news you can deal with bad news, even if you do not like it , but generally let us know. An excellent captain so plaudits to both the BA and CX Captains

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=819023]Currently sitting on the BA0374 Heathrow – Toulouse due to depart at 14.00. We were informed there was a problem with the engine after 20 minutes. After another 30 minutes, the captain said that there was a problem with the starter but that we could still fly to Toulouse but the problem would be coming back.

Basically, our inconvenience is less important than the financial cost BA having the issue sorted there.

Irony of ironies, bearing in mind our destination, we’re on an Airbus.

Back on stand now and engineers are “looking at the problem”.

It’s 90 minutes after our scheduled departure time.

[/quote]

Though hardly a BA apologist, I can’t really blame the airline for wishing to fix the problem at home base where they control their own engineers and have stores, to provide replacement parts. Relying on 3rd parties could lead to a far longer delay.

The only query would it have been feasible to swap to another aircraft and use the repaired one for another flight.

Given a total delay of just over 2 hours, I wonder how much time (if any) would have been saved, even if there was another aircraft available.

If you arrived at TLS >3 hours late, then you can have a go for EU261 compensation, as tech failures are not extraordinary circumstances.

These delays are infuriating, but sometimes sh*t happens with complex machines – hope you got to destination and were able to cushion the frustration with a decent glass of something 😉

capetonianm
    Participant

An airline I once worked for had some pretty crappy old 707s. When they went tech and we had overnight delays the pax used to bitch and moan, specially the USAmericans, about the rotten airline and so on, and if they got nasty I reminded them that the aircraft, its engines, and most of its avionics were USA manufactured. I also asked them if they would prefer to have a delay or travel across 3000 miles of ocean on a plane that had a possible safety related problem.

In the above case, BA handled it right. They’re not my favourite airline by a long way but they do put safety first and in that regard they are 100% professional.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Well maybe not 100%, but certainly high 90s.

openfly
    Participant

@Capetonianm…..BCal?! Me too. Wet and windy here in CT!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=819067]An excellent lesson in communicating (Alex Cruz please note).
    [/quote]

Presumably AC would have worn his hi viz jacket for added theatrical effect.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Had a similar good communication experience with a BA captain recently. Flying PRG-LHR; flight delay announced, but captain came to departure lounge, personally briefed pax on the problem and gave estimated new time of departure, and also said he would be around for a further 10 minutes if anyone had any questions. First time I’ve encountered this. Really good PR, and immediately reassured pax about the problem and the solution.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls