BA cabin crew..self-inflated opinions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

I fly at least four times a week with BA.

I can guarantee that on every flight the cabin manager, or the captain, will tell me on their first welcoming announcements that ”you have an excellent/superb/wonderful team working in the cabin today”. Should I, as the customer, not be the judge of how good they were at the end of my flight? Is it some form of insecurity? Maybe they know the service is generally fairly average, but they feel better telling me that they are good.

Also, why, on the last cabin address before landing does the cabin manager have to say ” thankyou cabin crew for all your hard work”? They are doing the job they are paid for. Have we passengers been such a nuisance that we caused them to work so much harder than usual? After all, on long haul, the cabin crew have actually spent much of the flight asleep in the bunks!

You dont get this on any other airline. Stop it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Open Fly

You hear something very similalr on Virgin. It sounds like a teacher thanking his pupils for doing some special ‘charity’ work. i cringe each time I hear it, esepcially when it happens just before landing “Cabin Crew, thanks for all your hard work, please take your seats for landing”.

I always think that there are far too many trigger happy PA announcements, wouldnt it be sensable that when the cabin crew hear the undercarriage come down or they see the ground getting a little closer, that they automatically sit down and buckle up.

Good post Openfly – however, in the whole scheme of things makes us posters look pretty petty for taking the time write about such things!!

Its a great Sunday in London, sun in shining, people are smiling, I hope that the Walsh family and the Woodley family are sitting down ready for their sunday roast or salad.

Happy days everyone

NTarrant
    Participant

I do think you are being a little unfair here openfly. You have to remember that people like you and I travel regularly to know the score, but there are people on all flights where this might be the only flight they will do for the year, their first flight or indeed they may have a fear of flying. A captain is seen as the “guy (or gal) in charge” and is reassuring those people that there is a good/super team on board.

It is also good to hear the senior person thank publicly the crew, its good management. If you don’t like the service then complain. I always like to hear them say “extended a welcome to our executive club members and one world frequent flyers”. The are the face of the airline and it does make you feel valued.

What I do think is rather silly is the final comment on approach to landing and it is ony on BA “please familurise yourself with your nearest exit”, why? are we going to crash, I have seen some looks of horror on peoples faces when that is said and that should stop.

openfly
    Participant

Hello Mr Tarrant…..Yes, but even first time fliers dont need to be TOLD how good the crew is….it should be what they expect … and get! I agree that, within reason, it is a good move for the Capt to add a word, but it is mainly the cabin crew thanking themselves!!

Mr Sinclair….very true….superb day here in Sussex…just wandered around the estate with a glass of Krug deciding which deer to shoot for dinner!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Open Fly

I would once have joined you in the shoot, but in my endevours for an extremely long and healthy life, i have turned to a more healthy diet consisting of fish, fruit and vegtables + vintage port in lieu of a sleeping pill on a long haul.

I do hope that you have enjoyed my brief description of diet and that you do come back for further comments. May i thank you for your time and dedication in contributing to this blog, we certainly hope to hear from you again soon. Please remember to save electricity by turning off your computer when finished. Do have a nice day/shoot/ meal……which ever takes your fancy!”

(ps – we know you have a choice of blogs and threads, we do appreciate you chooisng this one!)

NTarrant
    Participant

Hello Openfly – It is an equally superb day here, along the coast in Hampshire. Only a free range chicken for our dinner today. Enjoy your fish Martyn.

Don’t forget, your comments are important to these threads.

Regards to all

Nigel

DJ_London
    Participant

Open Fly – I have to agree with you. After all, BA as a full service airline, can’t tell us enough how important Business travellers are to them. In fact that is all they care about, so your comments are right. Why do we regular travellers have to endure these sarcastic and teacher-like commetnts on every flight ! I also get annoyed at the cabin service director telling me every time I land at Heathrow “welcome to terminal 5”. Surely, it should be welcome to Heathrow, similar to all the other landings in other cities across the UK and beyond…

NTarrant
    Participant

Guys I think you are being incredably selfish. BA don’t carry just business people who fly every week, as I said earlier. The announcements on BA are considerably less intrusive than some airlines, particularly those that cater for the holiday market where they almost tell you what is going to happen next.

What is wrong with saying Terminal 5? The same as Gatwick North Terminal, it tells those that are unfamiluar which terminal. All airlines have to cater for all walks of life and experienced and inexperienced travellers. It may be hard to think of people like that but spare a thought for those that don’t have your experience.

If you do want to hear some rubbish and intrusive announcements, then travel on South West Trains.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Nigel and Martyn,

I hope you both enjoyed your lunches, healthy or otherwise. Openfly, i hope you enjoyed yours as well.

In case anyone is intersted, I had fish and salad for lunch followed by fruit salad. we also enjoyed our first Pymms of the summer and a very nice bottle of Sancerre.

Anyway posters, thank you for all your hard work today, now please take your seats for landing and enjoy what is left of your evening.

Safe travels to all,

Jonathan

flyinghigh
    Participant

Well, let’s just hope you all know where your nearest exit is. You were obviously far too busy to take notice of the safety briefing as usual. Today was lunch, but it’s usually because you’re reading a newspaper,talking,wearing headsets (despite numerous announcements asking you not to) or just thinking you’re too important and too much of a regular flyer to listen. Don’t worry about all the other people on board. The arrogance of it all! Cabin Crew, bunks for landing, they know it all.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello FlyingHigh,

we were just having a bit of fun on the forum which is all too rare.

To be serious for a moment, I travel ultra frequently on both short and long haul flights. I always listen to the cabin crew safety briefing in detail despite the fact that I could recite it myself. i always obey the instructional signs and never have my headphones on or read a newspaper when I should not.

I am a very frequent flyer, who is not arrogant at all and i think you will find neither are most of the posters on this forum. Safety is the single most important aspect of flying to all of us.

Please do not tar us all with the same brush!!!

SAFE travels to all,

Jonathan

PsyDtoBe
    Participant

Dear all,

About the “nearest exit reminder” before landing, it is actually a safety percussion before landing, because if anythng happen you will usually get panic and blank. SIngapore Airlines do that as well. 🙂

Safe Travel.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am glad at this ung-dly hour some posters have time to show concerns as to who listens to safety briefings or not. I will always listen, except when its the 3rd or 4th sector of the day, by which time, politeness or not, i am consider my self well versed in cabin safety briefings for the day and i may not look up. Perhaps will get an apology note to hang round my neck to explain after 4 sectors in one day i consider myself sufficiently versed as not to listen.

Not wishing to sound too arrogant, although i am fairly positive that this will come across as arrogant, the regualtory requirement is on the cabin crew (G-D bless em) to present to the pax. It is not a legal requirement for pax to listen.

Posters, thank you all for reading todays messages – time for sleep!

binabdulaziz
    Participant

I always listen to briefing (watch video) on BA.

It not take much time and may save my life, I might foget some things between flights.

When announcement ‘thank you for hard work, sit down’ made, I feel sit down should be public, rest of message better said in private, more sincere. Sounds like going through motion (is this correct phrase?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls