BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

• ddfd322324
    Participant

I’m going to sit it out until BA announce their revised schedule….If you are booked in F, can you not book a fully refundable flight with another airlike in F?

Always helps to cover all bases!

continentalclub
    Participant

Travellator: there’s a huge amount of brinkmanship at play in such circumstances. Although the outlook is clearly far from positive, there is still the opportunity for the strike to be averted.

If the strikes do go ahead, then BA will announce a detailed commercial policy, the terms of which will allow you to make a considered judgment on how to proceed.

That judgment should be based on the fact that again, if a strike goes ahead, then aircraft will likely still be out of position and simply moving to the next day’s flight may not practically improve your position.

My personal advice: sit tight for the moment and keep a close eye on ba.com.

Travellator
    Participant

Thanks Continentalclub.

Will sit it out, there is plenty of availability in F over the following few days.

Complication is we are Redemption + Voucher !

VintageKrug has rather helpfully restarted this mammoth thread elsewhere.

Please continue your discussion here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Unite-BASSA-to-Strike-20-3-for-3-Days,-27-3-for-4-Days

Travellator
    Participant

Good idea – have you tried scrolling through this number of posts on an i phone ?

openfly
    Participant

My BA LGW-MAN flight on the 23/3/10 was operated by a Jet2 737 with 142 seats. A fairly full flight had three cabin crew who coped with the refreshment service with efficient speed.

Two weeks ago BA LHR-MAN an A319 with 126 seats had SIX, yes 6, cabin crew!!

Perhaps Willie Walsh is right…things do need to change.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

degreecy
    Participant

Sorry geohoveuk, but does Cathay Pacific have historical problems with highly paid staff and the threat of strikes from Unions ?

Yes they’ve built upon their quality product, but ultimately they would’ve returned to profitability through managed control of their cost base – this is what I believe willie walsh is trying to achieve.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I think the key point here is that he’s not spent the last 18 months negotiating – he’s spent the lat 18 months dictating what will happen whether the crew like it or not. Negotiation requires both parties to talk and listen in equal measure and its been very one sided from what I understand from those who have actually been involved.

I am not (for one minute) saying the unions are blameless in this whole fiasco however BA management could have done a substantial amount more for actual negotiation and this could have been averted.

oldchinahand
    Participant

The harmonious labor relations and profitability of Cathay Pacific that Geohoveuk describes is frankly nonsense.
    Cathay has real and continuing industrial problems with cabin crew and a strike was threatened only last week.
    As for profitability, the only reason that Cathay was able to announce a reasonable profit was because the sold off a major shareholding in a subsidiary company to their parent Swire.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

VintageKrug
    Participant

1. The Unite package which was offered could NOT have met structural cost saving objectives and in any rate was only offered in the short term, and was conditional on being reversed at the first sign of an upturn. So stop talking rubbish.

2. BA is losing millions because of intransigent Unions hampering working practices. Deny this? Want proof? Just check out the “Truth about BASSA” thread where you can see idiocy like Union reps refusing a hot towel run in WT+ unless a whole EXTRA crewmember be rostered on every longhaul flight. FACT:

http://www.uniteba.com/LGWLHRhottowels.html

This sort of idiocy is only one example of the time wasted negotiating with Union dullards.

3. The City and BA Board continue to support BA, as is indicated by the continuing rise f the share price. If WW caves into the Unions now, the shareprice will collapse.

4. It is not just BA which is losing millions – this Unite decision to strike cost millions of pounds in lost revenue across the UK and globally for other firms. Most importantly, it also reduces the pot BA has for improving pay and working conditions for its own employees. No-one (except Unite leadership) benefits from this strike. No-one.

5. The word is paltry not “poultry”. Poultry is chicken. But then as you no doubt have a doctorate in economic sciences as well as decades of CEO level experience to inform your frankly laughable comments, you probably knew that.

VintageKrug has rather helpfully restarted this mammoth thread elsewhere.

Please continue your discussion here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Unite-BASSA-to-Strike-20-3-for-3-Days,-27-3-for-4-Days

BEST TO CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN THE OTHER THREAD

ddfd322324
    Participant

….well I did say that the union is making BA smell like a farmyard….

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

JackyLek
    Participant

I just have some questions maybe someone can help me :

Have the Union or BA consider in the deal that when the company running profit they will get a raise or bonus ?

Coz is not possible to get profit with this current situation for BA, and the Union should see it .

And what kind of Education this Union people have behind them ?

I hope I dont upset many now, but what I have seen and learn from the world people with NO education within their field will only destroy their company or country!

Ex : Just take a look at Vietnam and Zimbawe two nations who was top in the Economy and lifestyle, and now running by NON education people and ruin their country.

I just hope BA Crew know about their leader competance and what they can help the company to survive NOT only what is best for the Crew. Mr WW has show his competance before, and frankly I see what he is doing now is very positive. Have some confidence on the CEO and give him a chance to show that his plan will work or not before starting a mess like this !

I hope all fellow traveller havent got into trouble of this strike!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls