BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)

• First-Pax
    Participant

I’m flying to Miami next Friday 19th – on a 747. So if a strike goes ahead, it looks like there’s a good chance my flight will be cancelled.

So be it. If I have to go via JFK or somewhere, that’s what I’ll do. I’m backing BA – and their management – it’s the only way to get rid of this 1970’s union behaviour for good!

ddfd322324
    Participant

I’m flying to Lusaka on a 767 next Sunday 21st – backing BA all the way.

Unions have no place in the modern world.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s good to see people backing BA.

I personally believe there is a place for pragmatic, modern business-minded workforce representation, especially in highly cyclical and less well paid industries.

BASSA/Unite is not in that mould and its incompetent representation of its own membership deserves everything that is coming to it.

You only need take a look at their website to see this:

http://uniteba.com/

ddfd322324
    Participant

VintageKrug – Agreed, so long as the union is modern, professional and knows it’s stuff!

looking on the unite website (http://uniteba.com/) if first impressions are anything to go by, these guys fail miserably. I mean, it’s a complete mess, how can anyone take them seriously? As for pictures of WW with red ‘devil’ eyes, I don’t see that as being constructive or professional in any sense!

I am just hoping that the CC see sense, come in to work, and see past their own needs and think of the thousands of other people employed by or who are customers of BA.

omanpat
    Participant

Flying Sydney on 12th back on 16th…am I right is assuming all will be ok because BA have to give a weeks notice of strike action?
    Bet VintageKrug knows!

JordanD
    Participant

Omanpat – you are correct. The earliest the strike’s could start is 7 days from the announcement, so if they announce today, it’d be 7 days from now. They must also commence by 22nd March (28 days from the announcement of the result of the ballot).

In reality, that means 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd for the commencement of the strike.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi,

Does that mean that even if they annouce today that the earliest the strike could take place would be next Friday (19th). I fly on the 18th to DXB ! Wasn’t sure if today counted as day 1!

omanpat
    Participant

Thankyou JordanD…very quick answer!
    Will consider NOT travelling BA after this trip.
    This is a shame as the less I travel with BA…my gold card status will be affected! (although I want products with the miles not MORE flights!).
    Anyway..thanks to everyone for all your information and opinions. They are very usefull.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think that very soon, the risk of strikes such as this will be eliminated.

At any rate, BA operates a Joint Services Agreement with Qantas on this route so most pax will be re-accommodated onto QF services if BA cannot run its strike-busting 777s on these routes. As it is most crew will be keen to operate this highly lucrative route, so I would suggest Kangaroo will be relatively unaffected.

omanpat
    Participant

What do you mean by ” highly lucrative”? Even more Perks?
    I am going on business and I get one day there (and I even have to work then.) ..what do BA staff get? Perhaps I shouldn’t know…but I want to!

First-Pax
    Participant

omanpat –

The crew get 2 or 3 nights in a 5 star hotel and several hundred ££s to spend on food AND a bonus for operating a long sector each way.

Oh, but their union tell them that they are hard done by and should go on strike – and they believe it !!

Get real BA crew – and your union- we all have to fly all over the place with very little rest sometimes to earn our living!

Freedom1
    Participant

a slight exaggeration… in fact they only get the 1 night in sydney, rest of time is couple of nights each way in bkk/sin. And nowhere near ‘several hundred’ pounds..

and just in case u think im on their side, im not. they do need to get over themselves and get on with it… got a flight on 747 booked for 19th.. wish the news would hurry up

omanpat
    Participant

Oh…thats ok then. Overnight in Sydney ( 5 star hotel) and a ” couple of nights in bkk/sin”(5 star again?) . Thats soooo hard!

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

RedFlyer
    Participant

Actually it’s nobody’s business on any of these forums what BA’s Cabin Crew remuneration is. I don’t see any of the members contributing here rushing to provide details of exactly what they get compensated.

All you should be worried about is that the employees are generally satisfied with their work package (which affects the service level provided to customers) and that the company is making a profit.

The opinions of those who believe the crew are overcompensated are generally irrelevant. Do you think any workforce if polled are going to say they think they are overpaid?

If the belief is that CC are vastly over compensated then that surely has to be a direct reflection of incompetent management over the years for letting it get to this stage.

Sure there has to be some change but there also has to be flexibility from both sides.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls