BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 500 total)

• AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Current update below – looks like they have been given more time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/09/british-airways-cabin-crew-strike

VintageKrug
    Participant

Here’s Unite’s final offer to BA:

http://uniteba.com/ESW/Files/UniteFinal.doc

Includes mixed New Fleet and a 2.6% pay cut.

Significantly less good than BA’s original offer.

Also a reduction in food for longhaul crew – they now get only World Traveller, rather than Club World food.

I feel sorry for those who put their trust in these people; a worse deal for crew, a worse deal for passengers who have wavered over booking trips, a bad deal for BA corporately and months of making Britain look like the 1970s sinkhole it is once again threatening to become.

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Brilliant – more value add from Unite

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA Management hold all the cards now; BASSA/Unite haven’t a leg to stand on.

BA has rejected the offer above. Press conference noon tomorrow…

This has all the tension and excitement of an Archers episode!

Travellator
    Participant

Still think they are militant enough to call a strike no matter how futile or not it may be.

Loss of club food no big deal, next time you dont get first option guess where its gone !

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !

As I have stated before I am primarily for the crews. But seriously and objectively– this is way too long and getting worse than better; the unions are starting to lose the public’s sympathy. Now we are talking that crews are getting Y class foods ..the worst case is.. when the crews feel that they do not need to do their job respectively on board than I think we have more than the problem of not only getting our first option during meals in C cabins .

Pray that they wont decide impulsively ’cause of the tension is so high that they only think : a strike is the last solution.

My plans to fly with BA in the coming months are starting to get into serious trouble when they proceed with this development.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nothing to be gained from a strike; I have just booked my next three weeks’ trips on BA, as well as a longhaul on one of the strike-busting 777s.

Onwards!

Travellator
    Participant

Breaking News

British Airways Strike Talks Break Down

No further talks planned.

Sky news 10 mins ago.

Hess963
    Participant

I saw the news on sky — this is not real ? What is going on? This is really serious. I wished I am so confident like others that it won’t affect me and my flights. But it is far from that. I thing most of us here are annoyed and fed up with all this useless talkings and on the other hand – want that they finally have a decent agreement tied up. Waiting what the parties will do tomorrow and the following days — I think that is what is left for us here. Wait and See.

Travellator
    Participant

Got long haul in F booked in the danger period prior Easter.

Also 3 Club E flights April, May , June.

If uncertainty continues will NOT book BA until this mess is sorted out.

Dont know how BA crew will be able to greet inconvenienced PAX if strike goes ahead.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Salaam Aleikum

This is circus.

Very bad company and workers.

Deserve to go bust.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

VintageKrug
    Participant

Everyone is very much aware that this situation rests firmly at the door of BASSA/Unite and crew who mistakenly put their trust in BASSA/Unite.

BA cabin crew have lost the confidence of the public, and are damaging the airline in a way management could never do.

A very great shame.

I would remind those cautious about booking that it is BA Management, with the support of those more rational or well informed crew who recognise the seriousness of the situation, who have put in place the following contingencies which should mitigate much of the disruption any strike might entail:

– 7000 staff have volunteered to “Back BA”

– In the event of a strike LGW longhaul would operate to 100%, shorthaul 50%

– The plans are more sketchy for LHR with a promise to keep all 777s operating (more than half the fleet)

– BA have enough volunteers to run the 777 fleet throughout a strike

– BA have agreements in place with other airlines for rerouting

– 70% of LGW staff have agreed to work during a strike

– There are agreements for 23++ wet lease aircraft to be used during a strike

Here’s Unite’s final offer to BA:

http://uniteba.com/ESW/Files/UniteFinal.doc

The link to the BASSA/Unite final settlement submission nicely demonstrates why BASSA union reps will never agree to a simplified structure, eliminating all those intricate clauses on turnaround times etc inherited a generation ago from BEA / BOAC etc.

There are simply too many elements on which they can negotiate and tie the company down to demonstrate their power.

Only way to simplify the business (and protect the current workforce) is to kill this incompetent union and replace it with rational workforce representation who can lead BA and its workforce back to profit, supported by Management.

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Well said VintageKrug….the crew are better off contributing their monthly Unite subscription to a worthy charity…..

Singapore, here I come (still with BA…..they need all the support they can get right now and I’m totally with BA Management on this)….flight next Wed 17th Mar !

batraveller2
    Participant

Best thing to happen would be if Willie Walsh has to leave – he is destroying the airline as he has others in the past. All cabin crews grievances are with his poor attitude.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls