BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

I am backing BA too. Booked across the pond with the family. Will not change now and have confidence that my flight will operate and, that if disaster does strike, that BA will take care of us.
    The fact that strike dates have not been announced is clear evidence that the TU is desperate to find a get out of jail card. The memership are being very poorly served.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Leading a business through economic turbulence coupled with ‘market changing’ times requires great skill & focus.

Revenue downturn from competition & a poor economic climate seriously effect cash flow & viability.

It would be a very sad & stupid day if BA’s bankruptcy is brought about by its own staff & Unite.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is important to separate individual Cabin Crew from their often incompetent union representatives.

BA’s management has done well to keep the airline as profitable as it has (and it did make a profit in Q4) in the very challenging circumstances of the past 18 months.

The UK and US have been hit harder than most in the downturn, and BA’s business model is geared to maximise profit and provide capacity for high margin business travellers on North American routes in particular; BA suffers more than most in a downturn, and profits more than most in an upturn.

There has been a fundamental shift from US/European centre of gravity to Asian markets; the successes elsewhere are demand driven, and most carriers have a similar “formula” to that exhibited by BA. The UK/US and European business market COLLAPSED and, in longhaul at least, is slowly returning to a recovery state, as borne out by recent BA traffic numbers.

Despite this, BA Management have continued their strategic investment (AVOD in all classes, Next Gen Club World, new First on the way, new routes and innovative new services such as Open Skies and CWLCY, new Galleries lounges network wide, as well as a fully funded fleet replacement programme).

BA Management have continually been available to the main Unions for talks, while the Unions refused to meet BA as they themselves would not sit in the same room as each other (let alone BA Management) for talks due to their own internal union infighting.

Recap

A quick recap of BAs final proposal before the June 09 deadline: New crewing levels (since imposed), New disruption agreement (since imposed), Reduced downroute rest, an improved profit share scheme (now off the table), but most importantly no new fleet.
    You won’t find many cabin crew who wouldn’t enthusiastically return to that deal now with the reduced rest replaced by some other small tweak.

So the last nine months have resulted in the loss of that original deal and now with the massive uncertainty for employees of the now real “new fleet”, allowing a lower paid workforce to be introduced to run BA cabin services at a more sensible cost.

Along the way BA Cabin Crew Unions have lost the respect of the public, and in many cases the respect and allegiance of their own members.

The Union leadership have lied time and time again, and never admitted mistakes despite two High court judgements against them that show them in the most appalling light.

BASSA/Unite have cost BA tens of millions, cost their own members millions in court costs and wasted ballots.

They have lost the element of surprise, enabled a volunteer workforce to be trained that will now always be there for future ballots, and caused new fleet to start.

That is what BASSA have achieved.

Let’s see what ignominious climbdown they have planned for their members next week…

NTarrant
    Participant

Geohoveuk – you say “And it even baffles me still, I was unable to book a last minute recently on a return flight from HKG in Club (not an unusual occurance) – how is BA managing revenue? Poorly I assume.” Urrrrrr! sorry but if you are unable to book a last minute flight in Club does that not tell you it is FULL!

How does a full premium cabin say that BA is managing revenue poorly? Read what VK has said, it makes sense.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

NTarrant
    Participant

Can’t really see the point you are trying to make geohoveuk. Let me see if I understand. The flights you want to book on are full so you think that BA is making loads of money, but they are saying they are not making money, so they must be mismanaging the revenue? I think you have to see the wider picture rather than just flights to/from HKG.

Do you not see that training “all” those additional crew is an investment? If there is a strike then many flights will be able to operate normally, saving money. Crews know that there are these people waiting in the wings to do the job, lessening the effect of a strike, therefore saving money. Its a kind of insurance policy, not only for now but in the future. That is sound business sense

VintageKrug
    Participant

And at any rate, the need to invest to train extra crew is a (relatively modest) cost ENTIRELY made necessary by BASSA and the Union Trots.

Seems the Union are close to agreeing a climbdown, as they know they haven’t got a leg to stand on.

As I predicted, they haven’t the stomach for a strike. So let’s summarise:

– 3.5% pay cut.

– £1.2million extra costs borne by Union membership for the lost court case.

– Damaged Union credibility after the ridiculous 12 days of Christmas strike threat.

– Almost universal removal of public support for hard working cabin crew.

– Tens of millions lost by BA as a result of bookings made elsewhere, some of which will never return.

– BASSA has got itself a worse deal than was on the table last year.

– Union power at BA broken by Willie Walsh

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is likely BASSA/Unite will concede to a climbdown on Tuesday. Strike now highly unlikely.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

First-Pax
    Participant

geohoveuk –

“protect what little they have”

– it’s FACT that if your friends/colleagues at BA worked for your ‘champion’ Richard Branson, they would earn roughly half what they are getting at BA and even less at some other airlines!

Despite this, you seem to be trying to argue that they are hard done by and that WW is a bully for standing up to unionised thuggery.

I say good on you Willie Walsh.

Geo’, the world has changed. Get real – and get back to work!

GTR_Skyline
    Participant

Well done BA and Willie Walsh…

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

Those on this board who are on Twitter might like to follow
    http://twitter.com/BA_Headlines
    you will get a selection of press comment on this issue

Travellator
    Participant

Guardian online a few minutes ago

BA cabin crew strike looms amid airline doubts over pay cut proposalUnion proposals including 2.6% pay reduction have not been accepted unconditionally by BA managers

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 500 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls