BA Buy on Board vs. the Gold Card Welcome

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Well, here’s the rub, and it’s not good news for Gold members or for that matter any tiered member of the BAEC club.

From what I’ve experienced, BA is pushing for you to use your Avios rather than cash. (not allowed). I’m presuming this is because it has two financial benefits to BA long term.

Firstly, it burns your points in a way that allows BA to administer the transactions at a much lower cost than CC’s and importantly handling hard cash; secondly it reduces at poor value your bank of points that might ultimately be used for flights/upgrades.

Thus, BA’s marketing madmen have probably surmised that if you’re a Gold holder, you’ll be more inclined to frivolously burn excess points using your Exec card

On Wednesday, the BOB experience I witnessed was hilariously incompetent, although the crew did put a brave face on it all. Machine not working, so loads of chits having to be written out, and crew not knowing prices so lots of reference to the menu.
    And you’re right Ian, about the Bloody Mary principle and habitual behaviour.. When finding out she had to pay for her G&T a loud proclamation of “This is a disgrace, shame on you” rung out from underneath the blue rinsed mop. Seconds later, after the “Purser “ , clearly embarrassed, he apologised and blamed BA, she muttered a further word of defiance and reluctantly handed over her CC. . No one up to her row (8) purchased, , every 3/4th person then after did. .
    I chose not to, £356 for a basic Y flight from EDI to LHR and back, and I’m expected to pay for a drink!!

But sadly, I’m a hypocrite too, last night after an excellent meeting in London, I treated myself and my colleagues a well-earned drink on the way home. A very pleasant NZ white !

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls