BA business lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Perhaps he is Willie Walsh’s brother…? 😉

The thread was all about uniformed BA staffmembers sitting in the crowded Geneva lounge; the implication of openfly’s post was that he/she had seen similarly uniformed on duty staffmembers using the facilities.

Thank you for clarifying that in the cases to which you refer at MAN and LGW these were non uniformed staffmembers.

If they were on duty, dressed normally, and not flying in a private capacity/entitled via ticketed cabin or elite status then my understanding if the policy is that they are not permitted into the lounge.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Openfly,

not sure why you have to leave Simon wondering? He asked, IMHO, a perfectly reasonable question based on your previous posts so why the reluctance to give a straight answer.

If the issue of staff using the lounges when they should not be is indeed a big problem then the ability for all of us to identify these staff and report them would be very useful and knowing Simon as I do that was most probably the reason for his asking the question.

As for VK calling you a liar, from what I read he did not do so. he said that based on his, not inconsiderable, experience of flying BA he foud what you said hard to believe. There is a big difference between that and calling you a liar.

Finally, i have dusted off my Exec Club number as I will finally, health permitting fly to TLV on BA in September once the doctors have cleared me to fly. you can be sure that I will be looking out for BA staff in or out of uniform in the lounges who should not be there.

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As the author of the post, can I please reconfirm:

The 3 cabin crew in the lounge were in uniform as well as displaying their British Airways (BAA) security badges. The lounge manager confirmed that the 3 staff members in uniform were operating crew and that the purser had pulled rank on her when gaining access to the lounge. This has now been reported to BA and I will let the forum know if and when I am sent a response.

It should also be noted that whilst crew often travel in uniform, when offduty, the display of BAA aircrew ID badge (generally yellow and white striped background) when travelling anything other than duty crew is against the BAA terms and conditions of issue for the security badge. In other words off duty crew have no reason for displaying security ID badges.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hmm….one of the more curious responses I’ve seen on this Forum, openfly.

Perhaps he/she is, VK.

Hope your health’s improving, JC.

Martyn – so it was fairly unambiguous, then??!!

Poached salmon, rice and salad, washed down with something from a wine cellar that’s in urgent need of significant replenishing.

Regards, Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Indeed Simon, I am sure that one day “Vintage Krug” will be identified, just as “The Stig” and other anonymous people have been in the past.

I am pretty sure though VK was not one off the duty cabin crew in Geneve last week, but you never know!!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Sorry – I didn’t mean “I think he/she is VK.”

I meant “I think you are correct, VK, perhaps he/she is Willie Walsh’s brother/sister”.

Thought I’d better clear up the confusion…..

And perhaps I should have used the word “replenishment” rather than “replenishing”?

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon, If an English lesson is needed, it is generally given!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK is really The Stig? There’s a concept to play with (in a non-offensive and lighthearted manner, of course):

“Some say that he’s had his BA Exec Club number microchipped beneath his skin, and that he showed Derek Simpson how to set up a Twitter account. All we know is, he’s called VK….”

VintageKrug
    Participant

We are amused. 😉

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Good man!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Here is the reply – pretty standard – not sure I can follow this one further. Point has been made – but its probably stoned walled by the person handling it. Any pointers would be helpful. (and no, i will not be sending a letter to the legal department!!!).

“Dear Mr Sinclair

I am sorry you found our staff to be unprofessional when you visited our lounge at Geneva airport recently. I do understand how disappointing it must have been for you. Please accept my sincere apologies.

We expect everyone at British Airways to be friendly and efficient, and to make our customers’ journeys as easy and enjoyable as possible. The attitude you describe is completely unacceptable, and we will follow it up.

We fully acknowledge we need to improve our performance in the way we deal with any queries our customers have. This includes looking at our customer care too, as we want to offer a consistently polite and thoughtful service across our business. We have reported your complaint to the manager of this area so that it can be raised with the people concerned. We have set up a senior team to oversee this important part of our operation, and they will monitor our progress.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know and for giving me the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Best regards

H**** *****”

mansfield1957
    Participant

I have been travelling through T5 since it opened and am pleased with its development after such a shaky start. What I specifically like is the arrivals lounge. After being in Nigeria for one month – and after a medium length flight (but long journey) it is so nice to be able to shower, shave, have one’s clothes valetted, have breakfast – then to enjoy a wonderful shower provided by Elemis.

Today 17-08-10, I am in the T5 departure lounge. It is such a refreshing break to be looked after with the utmost geniality and friendliness by one of the attending hostesses within the lounge. Her name is Seema, a beautiful young lady, who is as attentive as she is efficient. In the days of sullen and unresponsive service (especially in Europe), this sort of attention is so welcome.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Mansfield1957!

You are right ….it has become such a rarity to receive personalised service these days ……………..!!!

Deleted User
    Participant

I am a regular visitor to the T5 arrivals lounge and it is indeed a fabulous haven after a long haul flight. I had read the references to the front end staff on other posts, being termed as “lounge dragons” and today, I felt the full force of the hot air and poisoned tongues that the staff actually use and can fully understand why these adjectives were used to describe what I believe to be the rudest staff that BA employs.
    Before I flew to Asia using Finnair/BA I spoke to BA exec club to establish whether I was entitled to use the T5 arrivals lounge on my return as I was meeting a client who was flying in from Washington. I received an unequivocal “yes” and that was after my reservation had been checked and I explained the long haul sectors were with Finnair.
    I was somewhat astonished and taken aback by the terse manner in which I was spoken to by the BA “lounge dragons”. “You are not going in there today, I am a supervisor and I am sorry if you have been told otherwise”. This was in full hearing of other passengers. I called the exec club in Germany who confirmed again that I should be given lounge access. The Supervisor was not going to be moved. I insisted on speaking to the duty manager – by this time, I have to say, it was becoming a total embarrassment.
    Whilst I was waiting to see the duty manager, an American Airlines passenger was turned away as was a driver who had come to collect a passenger and was told to call his passenger from outside of the lounge as the staff would not page or look for the passenger.
    The duty manager discussed the situation with me and went away. 10 minutes later he came back and explained the problem is that the ‘”bible” the lounge dragons refer to use a separate set of rules to the rules that the rest of BA use.
    I was given an apology by the duty manager and allowed in.
    I have on one or two occasions received poor service from BA, but I have never been spoken to in such a disgraceful manner by a BA employee, in full earshot of other passengers.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As a resident of Australia but a frequent visitor to the UK and Europe with QF/BA, I must say that the T5 lounges are, in my opinion, the finest lounge product in the industry today. The quality of food + drink, reading materials, amenities and sheers space and comfort is second to none and is only rivaled by some of the QF product here in Australia and Asia. Europe and the US pale in comparison.
    That said, some of the BA staff can be quite obtuse, but others can be quite delightful. That’s human nature.

BA, T5 is wonderful. Now move QF and BA9/15 over from T3 and it will be perfect!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls