BA & avoiding US immigration at Miami

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m due in South Florida in November. I’ve just read about immigration at Miami getting even worse, so am happy to consider other US East Coast cities on BA First, affording me a few days stay, before flying into Fort Lauderdale.

Suggestions for those with least likely immigration queues appreciated, which will also give me a few days visiting another city.

Philadelphia is an option as I have not visited before, and of course New York. The latter generates the question of either First Class or Club World London City.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Bullfrog, I think BA’s JFK flights ex LCY are all business.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Using BA001 ex LCY would certainly solve your problem as you can avail of US Immigration at Shannon.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The LCY flights are all business, but the product is on a par with first.

Bullfrog, how bad is the situation in Miami now?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Honestly, MIA is not that bad compared to other US ports.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and it took 50 minutes, a rapidly moving line and cheerful agent when I reached a desk. I was, however, first off the flight.

The previous time, a few months earlier (before the Budget issues) it was empty and I sailed through.

Be prepared for a lengthy 10 minute *march* through the terminal to get to immi – sensible shoes are advisable – and a further *march* to the new Rental Car Center.

I would suggest Tampa from Gatwick, if you can brave Club instead of First; it’s only a 3h30 drive to FLL from there. Dreamy immigration and a very well laid out terminal.

I did Philly late last year and that took around 30 mins, which was acceptable, but again that was before the cutbacks.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Arrived from LHR to Chicago a few days ago and they had just opened a fast track combined immigration and customs for anyone without checked baggage. The main immigration hall look chaotic, however I got through the new channel and landside in less than 5 minutes. Perfect!!!!

Don’t know at which other US airports this new service is available but a very welcome addition.

BTW I was traveling on UK passport under visa waiver and was able to use this new channel.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This does however sound like a perfect opportunity to try the earlier pre-clearance CWLCY, and connect to either a FLL service (annoyingly, Delta has the best timing for a 1h35 connection, dep1530, only sensible if travelling with hand luggage only) or MIA on AA which has more frequent and better timings for the 1355 CWLCY arrival, but means you have a drive at the end of your journey.

Whatever you do, book on one PNR so you’re protected in case of delay.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/cwlcexp/public/en_gb

Bullfrog
    Participant

My last arrival into Miami on BA was eased by taking the waiting buggie from the arrival gate, as it’s not just for the infirm & easily beats the 15 minute walk to immigration.

Today’s Sunday Times Travel section reports increased waiting times at Miami immigration.

If I take the CW LCY service, I’ll stay in Manhatten for a coupl of nights before routing down to FLL.

VintageKrug
    Participant

If you’re not in a rush, try QM2; £649 to New York if you travel with The Poor and not much more for a decent cabin:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-deals/getaway-offers/transatlantic-cruises/

You can go all the way Southampton-Fort Lauderdale if you get the right trip!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Other option is through Toronto / Montreal with US immigration Canada side… Bit of a scrum sometimes but you will “generally” get your flight to Miami.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Both cities have their own charms, but I’m not certain Canadian cities are worth the detour just to save an hour in a line.

Take a good book or podcast, proper shoes and the time speeds by!

Bucksnet
    Participant

What would be nice is an Aer Lingus flight to MIA. Then pre-clearance can happen in Dublin. If MIA is really that bad then it should be a popular route.

canucklad
    Participant

If you go via YYZ or Montreal you also have the benefit of choosing AC…..probably the best trans atlantic carrier out there……

Word of warning though…….November weather in Canada & on the eastern seaboard of the states ………might want to be avoided

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The reason why the Canadian cities are worth the detour is that with Canadian preclearance, you are more or less certain to get your connecting flight as they care.

Homeland Security in Atlanta and the other US hub airports, couldn’t care less whether the immigration line causes you to miss your connection or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls