BA Avios reward availability

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

travelwell
    Participant

hi i am trying to book a flight using BA Avios for June 2016 and its showing little or no availability, some in econ and nothing in CE. I wonder if they have not opened any reward seats for flights so far in advance, or how this works. how far in advance do they open reward seats ? or is it just worth waiting and not booking now as its june next year ? thanks

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

I don’t profess to know the workings of the Avios availability system but, based on the £100 inc.taxes deal I found for London-Seville-London in FEB16, worth checking what the ‘regular’ fares would be, especially as you’re wanting to book so far ahead.

That way, if you like the price, you can save the Avios for something else!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I think that Avios availability is up to a year ahead – much the same as it is with (cash) paid for tickets.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@travelwell, which route are you looking to book…

Generally, for my European routes (and you did mention CE), I have zero problem with availability both in economy and club Europe…

mkcol74
    Participant

IIRC the redemption seats are loaded 330 days in advance.

For a quick check on “any” availability for a route you could try http://www.baredemptionfinder.com/ Just remember to use city codes, not airport codes eg: LON instead of LHR/LGW etc etc

SimonS1
    Participant

I thought it was 355 days ahead when they were loaded.

Str8Talking
    Participant

As of today, you can book flights up to 30 July 2016. If you are booking a popular route, I would say you may have missed the initial availability which would have been first released over the past 2-4 weeks. I have found that booking this far out, you can always get the minimum of two seats promised by BA following the Avios devaluation.

Str8Talking
    Participant

Also, if it helps, seats tend to get released at midnight (UK time).

goldaviator
    Participant

mkcol74 – 11/08/2015 08:02 BST

Thanks for that link to BA redemption finder, looks handy.

openfly
    Participant

BA redemption seats are released at 00.01 UK time … same GMT and BST….353 days ahead.

mkcol74
    Participant

Anyone know if there’s an equivalent redemption search tool for Virgin Atlantic? Just I’m already finding it a faff to search for seats.

openfly
    Participant

@mkcol74 Start the booking process to your destination and class and the VS website will offer you a months availability on Miles. All you have to do is move from month to month.

mkcol74
    Participant

Thx @openfly – that’s what I’ve been doing, maybe I’m just easily frustrated!

BugAdvisor
    Participant

The availability also changes depending on your Executive Club status level. I was amazed how many more flights became available after I was Gold.
    I haven’t tried this, but I wonder what happens if you link with a Gold friend, using the BA friends and family thing. If the Gold card holder then has access to your avios, can they then book your flight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls