BA Avios booking

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

Please may I call on the experience of the members of this forum to answer a couple of questions regarding my recent BA Avios booking (LHR MEX return in J)

It took me all day to get through to the BAEC to book using my voucher which contained Avios and cash which I had from a previous booking that got cancelled due to covid. 5 calls, cut off 4 times and many hours later I finally made the booking. However in manage my booking, I am still unable to choose my seat which states ‘seat choices are only available at check-in’

I this because they haven’t issued the ticket yet (it has now been 4 days) or could there be another problem that I will need to call them about? If it is the ticket not being issued, does anyone know if this is this normal and will it take much longer?

Also, I wanted to return a day earlier but there was no availability for Avios but the business class cabin seems to be empty on that date. I thought that BA should have 2 seats in J per flight or am I completely wrong (which is most likely).

Many thanks for your help.
    David

ASK1945
    Participant

However in manage my booking, I am still unable to choose my seat which states ‘seat choices are only available at check-in’”

You can only select your seat for free in advance of check-in if you are a Bronze, Silver or Gold member. I don’t believe the facility to pay for advanced seat selection is available for Avios bookings (but I have never tried to do so). In relation to ticket issuance, it does sometimes take several working days. Finally, in regard to changing your Avios booking, you will need to phone.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DNAdams
    Participant

Many thanks ASK1945,

BA have now issued the tickets and I have now been allowed to choose my seat (EC Gold). There are not that many good seats on the 787-9 so felt a bit compromised having to wait 4 days after booking.

If anyone knows about the Avios redemption allocation per flight it would be good to know as I mentioned before the flight the day before is empty in J but not available for Avios bookings so had to push it to the next day which was also empty but Avios seats available. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

Thanks

DNAdams
    Participant

Londonflyer, That is what I thought, however BA242 on 29/04/22 (which I originally wanted) is showing as no availability for Avios in Club World but appears to be empty in that cabin.

Claire
    Participant

First World Problems…

FormerBA
    Participant

I am a little surprised that as a Gold card holder you are not aware of the revenue management nature of flights and Avios availability.

There are indeed 4 club on every flight but there are literally thousands of people who book flights 355 days in advance at 1am UK time when they are released. An empty cabin/seat map is not an indication that no one has booked the seats ahead of you.

As others have said you can force availability by calling BA and using your gold card status to release Avios seats for double the normal mileage. This works providing there is commercial availability. Again, this is a well known Gold card benefit and particularly useful on short haul to ski resorts when fares can exceed £1000 return at school holiday dates.

DNAdams
    Participant

Thank you for all your expert advise. However, I am disappointed at the tone of some later replies and unnecessary comments/replies on here.

I have seen this all before when the likes of VintageKrug was on here many moons ago and I stopped engaging. Thought I would try again but seems people are still as vacuous – shame.

I was polite in my request and as my knowledge is not great and the Gold Card is my husbands who is unwell and I am simply asking this forum for advice as it is so hard to get through to BA at the moment. I will think again next time.

Anyway, thanks again. Enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls