BA applies to wet lease QR A330's.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

BA has applied to the UK CAA to lease three QR A330’s to use between JUN and SEP. This decision has come about due to the 787 engine issues.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ba-seeks-go-ahead-to-wet-lease-qatar-a330s-amid-tren-448446/?cmpid=SOC%7CTwitter%7CFlightglobal%7Csf189127732%7Csf189127732&sfid=701w0000000uP3H#sf189127732

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you for that – interesting – I wonder which routes are most likely to be affected?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Story here – I’ll update it if we get more information

British Airways latest to be hit by B787 Dreamliner engine problems

rferguson
    Participant

Will be difficult to say which routes will see these. I would imagine that as the QR jets only have 24-30 J class seats and no Premium Economy cabin they will be placed on routes where there are multiple daily services so any affected passengers can be moved to alternative BA flights. That’s just a guess though.

rferguson
    Participant

You can see the impact the EASA/FAA regulations are having easily by looking on the BA flight status pages.

For example, the BA flight LHR-Seychelles left today on time. However the arrival was 1hr20min late. All down to revised routes the 787-9 has to take to abide by the directive.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=866304]Story here – I’ll update it if we get more information[/quote]

Please do! Just posted in the News comments – I’m due to fly LHR-SCL on June 4 (and back on June 15). And I can’t think what other equipment has the range for this non-stop route. Does the 330 have the range?

Flightlevel
    Participant

QR aircraft are A332s and have the range to SCL ‘though as above have different seating so booking should have a new diagram in the event they are used on that route.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

And I can’t think what other equipment has the range for this non-stop route

I think that the 773 could do this long route. Probably the A380, too, though I don’t know if SCL could handle one or if BA could fill one on that route.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Manage My Bookings still shows a 787. Good.

alainboy56
    Participant

Where is SCL? Seychelles Mahe is SEZ and a A332 can certainly do this route. Air Seychelles have been operating ORY and CDG flights using A332 equipment until recently and its a 10-11 hour flight.
    An italian airline EUROFLY use to have a weekly flight from MXP into SEZ using A332’s
    I have flown on China Southern A332’s from Guangzhou (CAN) to CDG and that was a 13+ hour flight.

The problem will be however, that the QR A332’s are not allowed to fly over the GULF, as they are QR registered.
    My guess is that BA will use them on Atlantic routes, as they are optimal for 6-8 hr sectors.
    And nobody should worry about service/comfort on board – With QR aircraft and crews, all will be far and way above BA standard

AlanOrton1
    Participant

SCL is Santiago, Chile

alainboy56
    Participant

@ AlanOrton1 — Thanks — I somehow misconstrued the link between BA arriving late in Seychelles and flights LHR-SCL – for this route, alas I can offer no info.

rferguson
    Participant

Rumour has it the QR330’s will operate LHR-DEL/KWI/MCT.

alainboy56
    Participant

@rferguson — As I mentioned earlier, this could be problematic, as the aircraft are QR registered. Reaching MCT and overflying to DEL could cause problems. Its not impossible, but just wasteful and uneconomic. QR flights presently to reach OHS and MCT in Oman route across Musandam on the northernmost tip of the arabian peninsula which is Omani, and therefore not contravening the embargo imposed by UAE and KSA. But why would BA used these aircraft here on politically sensitive routes when they have their whole network to choose from? As usual from BA management, using an arabic expression “Mafi Mok”, roughly speaking – no brains!!!

rferguson
    Participant

Valid points Alainboy.

I’m not sure why they selected the DEL route but it seems to be true. BA has DEL based crew and they have been told that QR will operate one of their two daily services in Jun. Nothing confirmed from BA yet….they have stated they will update re the 787 operation in a few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls