BA applies for new CW seat patent

Back to Forum

This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

• Anonymous

rferguson
    Participant

Well looks like things may finally be moving forward in terms of new Club World seating at BA rumoured to be launched on the A350.

As with the current ‘ying yang’ configuration it seems BA has wanted something not off the shelf once more and considers it’s new configuration unique enough to lodge a patent in May. Looks like a bit of a hybrid zodiac cirrus/herringbone set up.

first_class_please
    Participant

Very interesting indeed !

KarlMarx
    Participant

Wow, my first reaction is sardines and cans! (42-43″ seat pitch, the current pitch being 73″ and World Traveller Plus being 38″.)

That 30″Club Europe will seem quite in proportion.

So it is still flat right? Not too sure from the pictures… Looks like a mega seat though. Well done BA.

first_class_please
    Participant

KarlMarx:-

Seat pitch in the proposed cabin layouts varies between 42- 43 inches, while bed length is listed as 74.5 inches (1.88 metres) with a total width of 26.3 inches (66.8 cm).

nmh1204
    Participant

Shame that they didn’t have the window seats’ ottoman by the window instead have it in the aisle, also, it doesn’t appear to give any privacy, unlike the current window seats which are completely enclosed, although you do unfortunately have to step over other people’s feet. Apart from the lack of privacy and sleeping position, the new design looks good

KarlMarx
    Participant

first_class_please – 24/08/2014 12:13 GMT

I agree about the pitch, but if you think about it, it means you only have 4-5 inches more sitting room than premium economy for working and eating dinner, so I see that as being quite cramped – also, does this new design offer a recline? One cannot really say from this application.

As a supporter of BA in the past, recent decisions (e.g. 34-30″ in Club Europe) have worried me and I am now looking for the downsides in their innovations. My monthly Geneva runs will now be booked with Swiss and my annual holidays may no longer be with BA, if we cannot get a decent business class bed by upgrading with our hard earned Avios.

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure what to make of it. I suppose the reduced seat pitch is necessary to move from the existing coffin class to a 1-2-1 configuration whilst retaining density in the cabin.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sardines and cans KarlMarx, I’d say Pilchards and tins. I know drawings don’t always do justice to the finished product, but this looks awful. What’s wrong with a nice comfy seat, wide, 1-2-1 config.

Not content from squeezing the last penny from the passengers, it looks like it’s squeezing the life out if them while they sleep!

Stowage222
    Participant

I have to agree with Lugano and Simon – to achieve the same number of seats in a 1-2-1 configuration with the current available floor space does beg the question of just how cramped will this cabin feel to customers.

This answers Lugano’s point – 1-2-1 over the same space would mean a massive reduction in CW revenue.

Goldielox
    Participant

Here is the link to an early version of the application with full details and pictures of the final seat.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum/Document/ApplicationNumber/GB1408877.7/29defea5-bdc4-4d02-809d-7cc2a3590a54/GB2510765-20140522-Priority%20document.pdf

brummiedj
    Participant

Thanks Goldielox…really interesting document. I personally like it….seems you are more free to lounge as you want, but am sure many won’t like it due to the nature of it not being an actual seat, i.e. no auto recline…although actually it is more suited to what we do at home on an every day basis! I just worry about the support with those two cushions…I think that will be the deal breaker for many.

nmh1204
    Participant

Looking through the document Goldilox linked to, in image 2/13, the ottoman of the seat behind is very close to the seat, there’s definitely no privacy from the aisle for anyone working etc, and who would want someone’s feet near their head? Also doesn’t look like the seats can recline either.

A nice idea, but badly conceptualised to be honest.

GLAFlyer
    Participant

Looks awful. Incredibly packed in with not much space to work, eat and sleeping at a strange angle from the direction of the aircraft.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller July / August 2022 cover
Business Traveller July / August 2022 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls