BA and Ryanair: Number of complaints each airline receives

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

• Anonymous

DerekVH
    Participant

Ryanair have started a series of TV and Radio ads claiming that per million passengers Ryanair receive less complaints than BA. Hardly a fair comparison I would have thought given the services BA provide as opposed to Ryanair!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Why is it unfair?

If Ryanair receives x complaints per million and BA y per million, then it is a statistical fact.

At the end of the day, if airlines offer services, then they need to provide them in a way that minimises complaints and premium airlines charge higher fares to offer premium performance.

As Ryanair carries more than double the number of passengers that BA carries, then the airline seems to have a credible record in consistent performance, it’s not a case of a small airline being able to offer a more personal touch, e.g. Porter.

Do the ads give a source for the complaints data?

DerekVH
    Participant

I just thought Ryanair do not provide anywhere near the number of facilities that BA do. Rferguson indicated in another thread the the number 3 complaint to BA is about IFE. On this forum there has been a lot of comment on BA’s lounges and onboard food, neither of which Ryanair provide. Surely operating a worldwide operation with multiple different aircraft is somewhat different to Ryanair’s model? The adverts do not give a source but they also claim Ryanair is cheaper than Easyjet but interestingly they don’t say they are cheaper than BA!

SimonS1
    Participant

The majority of passengers don’t use lounges. Plus it can’t be saying very much about the airline if they provide lounges and on board refreshments and still attract more complaints.

Steptoe
    Participant

I’d rather walk before flying Ryanair again.

The point is when flying Ryanair, your expectataion is low. Therefore, when I have flown them before, I have accepted the poor service (long check in, 15kg checked in bag, no allocated seat, no free in flight food / drink, waiting in a bus shelter for a flight at WMI etc. etc)
    Now I accepted this on Ryanair as this was my expectation and did not raise any complaint, but have decided never to use them again.
    I am Gold on BA and have complained on a few occassions when the service has fallen below the standard which I beleive to be acceptable, such as domestic transfer through LHR. In similar circumstances on Ryanair, I would not have complained

So, yes I can beleive the Ryanair complaints are less than BA. But honestly, if you a frequent flyer, the chances are you will be flying BA over Ryanair.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Classic case of statistics being used towards dubious ends.

Although technically, fewer complaints do not equate to increased compliments.

So to what extent is the data on complaints an appropriate barometer of satisfaction?

I guess if you’re the type to be easily compelled then perhaps you should be flying Ryanair.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“Although technically, fewer complaints do not equate to increased compliments.”

That’s not what the adverts appear to have said, though, is it?

If an airline offers a service and then delivers it consistently, it will get fewer complaints.

I love the anti Ryanair bias from BA gold card holders – but 90 million people fly this airline every year and that is nearly three times as many as BA and the offer obviously works for a lot of people.

I’m not a big FR fan, the airline does not appear in the 62 flights I’ve taken so far in 2015, but past experience says they do deliver what they promise.

My penultimate BA flight (from 6 this year) was on a 747, with a filthy seat, IFE screen with what appeared to be dried vomit covering it and a divider covered in coffee stains.

And people wonder why BA gets more complaints!

SimonS1
    Participant

@Steptoe – I would consider myself a frequent flyer, probably 80 flights a year. I had to go to Budapest 3 months back, a bit off the beaten track. Priority boarding on Ryanair, front row seating, fast track security, 2 checked bags and it still came in about 40% less than BA.

That’s mighty expensive for a wrap and a drink.

rjhcambs
    Participant

The reason I avoid Ryanair is not the onboard service. Their punctuality record is excellent and paying extra for allocated seating/ priority boarding improves the experience. For me, however, it means flying from Stansted or Luton and that is a definite No-no.

SimonS1
    Participant

I think where Ryanair are catching up is in areas like allocated seating. You can check in 7 days ahead and select your seat free – I think you have to be bronze on BA to do that.

I agree Stansted isn’t great, but with a PP card I can access the lounge and it isn’t a matter of life and death.

rferguson
    Participant

These statistics don’t really surprise me. The top three areas for complaints at BA are:
    1. Delays
    2. Baggage handling
    3. IFE.

In the case of 1 & 2 I don’t doubt FR excel BA in performance.

There is also the aspect of expectations. BA promises a lot in its marketing and advertising and the reality doesn’t always match what people see in the pictures.

And finally – what does someone get out of complaining? Just by reading some threads on FT and the like it is pretty obvious that some peoples motivation for complaining seems to be compensation in the form of Avios.

**These are my personal opinions only**

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Interesting.

I am listening to BBC Radio 4’s “Money Box” programme in which Ryanair are, yet again, taken to task about their failure to adhere to EU261 regulations. To quote the CAA spokesman: “Ryanair are far and away the worst …with their failure to comply with the law”. The courts have clarified “extraordinary circumstances” which Ryanair has repeatedly failed to adhere to. There is also a clear suggestion that Ryanair has continued to apply a two-year claim deadline as opposed to the six years they have been told to apply. Again to quote the CAA spokesman: “Ryanair are all over the place” regarding their adherence to the six-year rule.

I would be very interested to learn of the source of Ryanair’s claims and the way that the statistics have been treated by FR.

Tramor01
    Participant

There are lies, damned lies…. and statistics 🙂

Actually, it’s the title of a book which is well worth a read

Bullfrog
    Participant

‘You pays your money, and you takes your choice’.

I used to fly Ryanair until about 10 years ago, and it was always an unpleasant experience. Last minute bookings often cost around € 250 + one way. Customer care was negligible, the CEO arrogant & flights where one was ‘treated like cattle’ were the final straw.

The ‘low fares airline’ was often far from low, so I opted for a No Ryanair policy, and have not flown them for 10 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls