BA and Oneworld

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

I flew last month to Colombo on UL (first leg codeshare on EY metal) in business and was expecting points and tiers according to https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights. Since it did not happen, I claimed. This is surreal BA’s reply:

I appreciate you booked your flights with a UL prefix, but I am afraid our agreement with SriLankan Airlines does not include codeshare flights operated by Etihad, so I’m sorry to disappoint you but on this occasion I am unable to credit your account.

So actually one can book with a OneWorld partner and BA can decide, at its sole discretion, whether its “agreeement” allows the credit.

Appalling!

Raffles99
    Participant

There is no ‘discretion’.

On the page you linked to, click on ‘Codeshares’. The rules come up clear as day. A oneworld flight opererated by a non-oneworld airline earns no Avios and no tier points.

(There are actually two exceptions to this – Qantas flights operated by Emirates and Qantas flights operated by KLM – but this is because of the historic JV agreement between BA and Qantas. If you fly Emirates on a QF flight number you get tier points and Avios.)

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=993814][/postquote]

The rule you mention is for BA flights, not for other OW members!

anyonebutba
    Participant

It’s normal standard practice unless specifically specified that “operating” carriers rules apply to accrual / redemption rules, is EY a OW carrier? Not at all so why would you expect miles and credits?? 🙄

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

@swissdiver – please tell me you aren’t pestering the BAEC at the moment with this matter?

rodders
    Participant

etihad has a strong link with LH, but even EY flights with a LH codeshare number earn nothing for LH members.
    In the overall scheme of things at present such a minor issue….let’s get real folks.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993803][/postquote]

As Raffles said, the rules are perfectly clear on BA website.

A flight booked on UL codes cannot be credited to BAEC unless operated by a Oneworld airline.

ba

JasmineBear
    Participant

[postquote quote=993803][/postquote]

@OP

Since we are all pretty good at complaining when the airlines get it wrong, now that you have had a chance to re-read the actual requirements from BA and OneWorld as pointed out by @SimonS1, perhaps you should consider your original post and offer an open apology unless you still believe you are correct?

Or would this be too magnanimous of you, especially when there are some slightly more pressing issues happening in the world at the moment…..?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Simon,
    Besides the fact this screenshot is under “British Airways flights” and not under “Other Airlines” and more specifically UL (which is misleading), it tends to demonstrate my point: OneWorld doesn’t work properly…

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993839][/postquote]

Except that it says in large letters at the top of the page “You can earn Tier Points too, on British Airways and oneworld flights”. A flight on Etihad isn’t a Oneworld Flight.

As I see it alliances work perfectly well – you get BAEC credit when flying with another Oneworld Airline. This has been the case since ever with the known exception of QF flights on Emirates.

ba1

christopheL
    Participant

Except that « a British Airways flight » or « a Oneworld flight » doesn’t mean anything.
    You have to read the small prints to be aware that a Bristhish Airways or a Oneworld flight is not a flight you bought on a Oneworld airline website with a Oneworld airline flight number but a flight you bought on a Oneworld airline website with a Onewirld flight number and operated by a Oneworld airline.
    The fact is that there is a huge gap between what is advertised and the detailed rules. Should airlines have to give a clear view of the rules of there FFP when advertising there FFP they would have to use proper booklets to do so.

Keith
    Participant

I once but never twice made the same error thinking booking on EI MAN DUB JFK would earn me tier points. It didn’t. I couldn’t even use EI lounge as a Gold BA. But I did get a nice Y to J upgrade on return which was great after an exhausting business trip

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=994683][/postquote]

Different scenario though – Aer Lingus is not a member of Oneworld.

Keith
    Participant

correct but similar silly error. I “assumed” as in the same IAG ownership things were the same Pays to check which many have said in this thread

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=994726][/postquote]

Same with Vueling who are also part of IAG. Vueling and Aer Lingus have an Avios scheme, which they “share” but, as far as I am aware you cannot use these Avios on BA or IB.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls