BA – an organisation in decline ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• WillieWelsh
    Participant

FDoS, I wondered for a moment or two what you’d eaten!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Or his account had been hacked.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Obviously not eating enough Welsh leeks. I recommend those Welsh made wings on the A380 for the most comfortable flight in the sky!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=760994]Obviously not eating enough Welsh leeks.

[/quote]

Are they available to BoB?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=761007]

Obviously not eating enough Welsh leeks.

Are they available to BoB?

[/quote]

They way BA is going, soon leaks will be BoB;-) Anyone got a quid for the loo?

MrMichael
    Participant

For a moment there FDOS I thought you had seen things my way at last. Maybe I will get you back one day. 🙂

bluemooner
    Participant

FDos, as a relatively new reader – I did not know your past views so did not realise the wind up! It was also 5.20am when I wrote it. Nice one.
    Good win for your team away at Osset Town. You live too close to be a Man U fan!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=761114]FDos, as a relatively new reader – I did not know your past views so did not realise the wind up! It was also 5.20am when I wrote it. Nice one.
    Good win for your team away at Osset Town. You live too close to be a Man U fan!

[/quote]

Ah, but I lived in the London area for 23 years 😉

DerekVH
    Participant

In response to a journalist who had posted a critical comment regarding a recent BA flight to New York where the food and service were poor, Alex Cruz commented that “he had been in the job five months and hopes to deliver strong consumer-friendly messages and services as I get a good hold on this fantastic company which has a lot of things to do to regain the position it once held”. Said Journalist commented that “If BA is ever going to boast that it is the World’s Favourite Airline again it will have to hire staff who don’t look at passengers as getting in the way of their decent night’s sleep” – OUCH!

canucklad
    Participant

Well Derek, if I was so said journalist, my response to “going to deliver strong consumer-friendly messages” would be to respond with…..

Talking the talk is one thing, and comes relatively cheaply, walking the walk and actually delivering on their motto takes investment in produc t and more importantly staff!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Quite so, Cancucklad.

JohnHarper
    Participant

So it seems that Cruz is saying one thing about recovering the position BA once had and delivering ‘strong consumer friendly messages’ while introducing BoB and generally reducing service standards. Somehow the two things don’t quite add up for me.

As I’ve said before, any fool can reduce costs it takes skill to balance cost efficiency and strong product delivery to deliver good value to people. BA still charge relatively high fares and deliver service like a low cost carrier which fails any value test.

For BA to succeed on any level front line staff need to be invested in, empowered and listened to and their ideas put into action – after all what are the people at Waterside for if they are not listening to staff – oh of course, it’s the other way around at BA, Waterside dictates from a position of income and that’s the only thing that matters.

esselle
    Participant

Cruz is highly educated and I wouldn’t doubt his business skills. For me though the question is more around his role; is he there to execute a plan developed by WW, or is he there to create a plan which may somewhere include customer experience? I suspect the former is closer to the truth based on the latest round of enhancements, and in his shoes I would be cautious about making promises which are evidently empty.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Even if Cruz is highly educated and I’m not sure what that means knowledge is only as good as the use you make of it. Equally I’ve met a few people over the years with lists of academic qualifications and they all think they know how to run businesses but sadly they lack any sort of common or basic business sense. BA is particularly strong on those sorts of people and others don’t generally survive in a world where there is only one goal which is short term profit.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls