BA Amsterdam new route to lounge

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

After checkin at AMS you now have to go upstairs to go through immigration AND security. There is Fast Track security. No more Schengen security at gates D! From this level descend on the nearby escalator to shopping level as before. Turn right towards D gates. The BA Lounge 40 is not marked at the moment. Keep going towards D gates and after about 100 yds there is a single sign to the BA Lounge 40. Turn left and walk a few yards towards the lift. Up to the original temporary walkway on the roof, but further along.
    Good luck!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Dont tell me about it!

On Thursday I arrived in on KLM from HKG, and was completely bemused by the mess that Schiphol is at the moment. I needed to get to the KLM Lounge and then transfer to the LHR flight, luckily i had just under 2 hrs to connect.
    Security was immediately after we walked down boarded walkways not knowing where we were as no windows, and corridors full of building works. Everyone went through full body scanners before we actually were able to get into the main body of the airport,. We actually arrived at F, which about summed up how i felt after an hour of getting mis guided and lost. I got a full 15 minutes in the KLM lounge for a tonic water, and had to leave.

Better at the gate though the LHR flight was going from E which is highly unusual as they go from D normally. Having been through Schiphol regularly for years, and every month or so for about 20, it is very confusing and a real mess just now, at least arriving and changing, though i hope better when you enter to fly out.

I am sure what they are doing when it is finished will be beneficial for us all, as it has always been a high favourite and top reputation Airport in Europe. But at the moment, I would highly advise anyone to allow an extra amount of time, especially for arriving in and connecting out. certainly if we all go through body scanners, this will be one of the most thorough security checks in Europe now.

It does help at the gate, though everyone wanders around now a bit bemused, and they really need more seating and space at many boarding gates. Clearer channels for priority Boarding, and enforce these, as well as the ridiculous amount of luggage some people are getting away with as hand luggage. This was better policed before these changes. On the Non-schengen areas E/F, it is a real confusion at the moment and very time consuming if transferring, as the airport does not look like anything that is has before, at this time.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you take a right immediately after the BA lounge you will come out in LGW arrivals I am told.

please_turn_left
    Participant

However there’s a nice smell of timber from all the temporary cladding in the temporary walkway!
    And when the lounge staff tell you the flight is ready to board you’ve got at least another 10/15 mins because they assume the slowest possible walking speed for the 1km trek to the gate. If you’re remotely fit and active you’ll still get to the gate in plenty of time.

HAZLEWOOD
    Participant

KLM new biz class seats are excellent esp compared with BA’s outdated yin-yang effort. That said KLM food is not so good to put it politely, wine very strange, and Schiphol is the worst airport I have ever been to bar the horrors in the US which are like airshacks more than airports. Not sure how anyone gives Schipol a thumbs up. Lets hope all the work makes for a difference in future.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have commented previously I was in AMS at the beginning of the year heading back to Asia and I found the whole experience shocking, and I see nothing has changed… I for one will not use AMS again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls