BA almost pulling off LBA-LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• openfly
    Participant

I’m booked on BA for a couple of flights from LBA next summer, connecting long-haul at LHR. The three flights a day service is now reduced to one morning flight a day plus three random services during the week. I have just received an email telling me of flight cancellations. I called the Exec Club and was rebooked from MAN, but they refused to pay the rail fare or parking/petrol.
    Anybody remember when Ryanair refused to rebook on other carriers and cover unplanned costs??!! The UK CAA do remember….but BA doesn’t!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=841096]I’m booked on BA for a couple of flights from LBA next summer, connecting long-haul at LHR. The three flights a day service is now reduced to one morning flight a day plus three random services during the week. I have just received an email telling me of flight cancellations. I called the Exec Club and was rebooked from MAN, but they refused to pay the rail fare or parking/petrol. Anybody remember when Ryanair refused to rebook on other carriers and cover unplanned costs??!! The UK CAA do remember….but BA doesn’t!
    [/quote]

You can insist that they re-route you under comparable conditions from LBA -don’t know where you are heading to, but that may make them think again 🙂

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) – reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at
    the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts
    already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger’s original travel plan,
    together with, when relevant,
    – a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;
    (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
    (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the
    passenger’s convenience, subject to availability of seats.
    2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to
    reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.
    3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a
    passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier
    shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the
    booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.

openfly
    Participant

Thankyou FDOS….you confirm my thinking, but great to have it in print. The battle with BA continues!
    Thanks again.

capetonianm
    Participant

Does the 14 day rule in any way reduce the airline’s obligation to you in this case? Just a thought as they may try to wriggle out on that clause.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=841277]Does the 14 day rule in any way reduce the airline’s obligation to you in this case? Just a thought as they may try to wriggle out on that clause.
    [/quote]

No, the two weeks/one week clauses are in Article 5.1(c) i-iii and apply only to compensation (meaning this is not due).

Article 5.1(a) and (b) are not subject to this time limit.

Article 5
    Cancellation
    1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:
    (a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and
    (b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in
    event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after
    the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c);
    and
    (c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
    (i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
    (ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of
    departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled
    time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival;
    or
    (iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are
    offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure
    and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
    2. When passengers are informed of the cancellation, an explanation shall be given concerning possible
    alternative transport.
    3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove
    that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all
    reasonable measures had been taken.
    4. The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of
    the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.

mkcol74
    Participant

@openfly Please do keep us updated on the outcome.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls