BA A380s Target JFK & Asia

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, Iā€™m entirely sanguine about flying on the A380 and find the experience much more comfortable, quieter and “cleaner” (no yucky “jet film” after disembarking) than flying on older aircraft.

I am very much hoping BA will introduce some exciting technological innovations aboard its A380 fleet; the buzz on this is rather good.

BA will be receiving among the first “improved” A380-800 with increased range and strengthened airframe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A380#Improved_A380-800

This underlines the benefits of not being a launch customer for a newly designed aircraft.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Shanwick,

Cracks have been found in almost all A380s inspected not just some early ones, and Airbus expects the problem to take years to fully resolve. I don’t see how the manufacturing problem is now corrected as Airbus will not present a solution for the problem until next month.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1332107266.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/18/us-airbus-a-idUSBRE82H06M20120318

RichHI1
    Participant

As Bucksnet posts, I have read this morning an interview with a senior EADS executive saying a fix is aimed for April and it will keep them busy for years.
    Unfortunately I sense the usual politics in many posts. Both Boeing and Airbus have cracks issues, both are Introducing new technology and new features and innovation sometimes takes time to get right.

I hope and believe that safety is the first concern of all manufacturers (partly because crashes based on mechanical failure as with the comet would probably close either of the big manufacturers and partly because the aviation industry is heavily regulated in safety terms).

That said I still believe some of these cracks issues may slow down delivery dates, which have slipped for both manufacturers already.
    It may also slow development of other new aircraft under development.

Shanwick I am afraid things may be more complex than you state.
    Poster who cannot be named is “Up in the air” the jet film you refer to? šŸ™‚

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, no.

It’s not something I’ve heard described before, but I’ve noticed it on longhaul flights especially on older 747s and to a lesser extent on older 777s.

It’s just that icky film of unpleasantness on the skin which you need to shower off after flying. Can’t really describe it another way…!

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe that newer aircraft have vastly improved air handling, indeed the 787 is supposed to be even more innovative here. I hope all newer aircarft will follow this trend, minimizing air contaminatio, increasing fresh air input and improving humidity. All of which should reduce the dirty feeling and also fatigue. I believe also the use of newer less harmfull cleaning products and plastic components that leak less emissions should all help.
    Equally anything that prevents an Up in the air 2 should be welcomed as well šŸ˜‰

BeckyBoop
    Participant

The A380 would go down well on the HKG route because everytime i have been on it has been packed and the route is also very expensive. SYD, MCO and MIA would also be good alternatives again all expensive and would be cheaper for tourists during the summer holiday to fly abroad… sorry Honest Crew šŸ˜‰ xx

VK what do you know of the “buzz” surrounding the features of BA’s A380 fleet? Would be nice if the had a lounge/bar area like on the EK ones. I dont have that problem so much of feeling icky, but i do some times get it after landing at JFK late afternoon especially when its really hot. Also do you apply body moisturiser when you fly?

xx

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The issue with feeling unwell when coming off a plane is because the humidity on an aircraft is roughly 10%. A friend works for an organisation where they require “dry” air and the humidity is 25%. As this is so low under health and safety laws the staff can only work in the lab for a maximum of 1 hour at a time. Incredible considering you can be in a plane for 16+ hours these days before getting off. Since I heard that I now always buy a 2 litre bottle of water once through security in addition to anything given onboard and I have to say that the it makes me feel much fresher on arrival. On a flight the skin goes first followed by your lungs which start to suffer and that is why people often feel like they have a nasty cold after being on a plane. So the newer planes with higher humidity levels can only be a good thing.

RichHI1
    Participant

There is also the issue of incursion of engine oil into the frsh air intake which has occurred from time to time. Whilst higher levels have directly attributable health risks, once an incident has occurred it is very very dificult to remove all traces.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls