BA A380s Target JFK & Asia

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

JohnPhelanAustralia. Thanks. I knew HNL runway could take A380 as it takes the C-5 Galaxy and the Anotnov 225. Also Reef Runway 8/26 is an alternate for the Space Shuttle and takes the Shuttle on the 747 Piggy back. I was not sure if the HNL taxiways were hardened or if there were any A380 capable gates.

767prisoner
    Participant

guess that means we’ll be stuck with the old 767s forever on the NAS/GCM route then…..when does a 25 year old jet just get too old to fly? I think the airframe service life is based on cycles rather than just time but i’m thinking those old dears must have a few loose rivets and corrosion by now…at least the new seats look nice.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The oldest BA 767 is less than 23 years and the youngest less than 14. Far more flying to be done before retirement.

767prisoner
    Participant

sorry I was fast forwarding a couple of years. wont the wings drop off at some point? maybe I am a bit of wuss through not understanding plane construction. I’m happy on american’s new 737s in extreme turbulence but put me on a 20 year old plane and i start to fret at the slightest bump. Hence I was looking forward to the dreamliners.

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

I would expect BA will deploy 787s from LHR to Nassau, Grand Cayman and Turks & Caicos at some point in time.

RichHI1
    Participant

767prisoner, provided equipment is properly maintained then safety should not be an issue. Following the Maui incident, there are carefully checks on air frames and panels and the aircraft is more likely to be retired for being uneconomical to run before safety becomes a question.

There are also changes in emissions and noise that make airlines sell their old planes to less developed areas of the world.
    WIth commerical aircraft pressurization cycles is the key. So a Long Haul 767 is likely to have more life left in it than a short haul one. FOr a given year a 767 which has flown the Atlantic all its life will have more life left in it than one which has done LHR-FRA 3 or 4 times a day.

RichHI1
    Participant

I do hope that the BA 787 Long haul equipment has First Class. IT would be a shame if the 787 was an excuse for the end of First.

767prisoner
    Participant

thanks, I’ll man-up.

Bucksnet
    Participant

No plans for first on the 787 at the moment Rich.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Highly unlikely that 787s will feature first, as the aircraft are prime candidates for new “secondary” routes, not the trunk routes like JFK etc.

RichHI1
    Participant

AH well… slippery slope. I suppose it makes sense as Iberia is only 2 class.

JordanD
    Participant

I’m guessing it will be a 3-class aircraft (CW/WT+/WT) much like some 777s are.

trident3
    Participant

“Interestingly I see Fed EX is on A380 Freighter order list and EWR is one of their major hubs, so I guess EWR will take it eventually.” …said RichHI1

Haven’t Fedex walked away from the A380 ?

http://news.van.fedex.com/node/4370

RichHI1
    Participant

I just read this on web but looks like you have more up to date info. Maybe EWR would not accomodate a380 anway. Looks like the frieghter version is dead in the water.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I would send the first A380 to DXB, and replace the 777-200 and 767 flights. This would cuts costs, free up a daily slot pair for another service, and allow the rotation of the second A380 on a route where a return takes more than 24 hours.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls